Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I dont watch alot of Bport games but i gotta say based off the numbers it looks like Thompson is doing a great job with him down there. Ho-sangs first half was underwhelming no doubt but the fact that hes scoring over a PPG pace is very impressive.. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out but I have more hope for JHS than i did last year by a huge margin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The issue with Ho Sang is NOT about talent...It's 100% his mental make up. Unlike any other prospect we have, because of multiple issues with responsibility he now needs to "OVER-PROVE" that he can be trusted to do the basic things required of a professional hockey player.

Does everyone here realize he was late for a game just last month? Here's the story...

"Josh Ho-Sang, said Brent Thompson, was late tonight to the arena so was scratched. How late? "Late enough." What gave me pause about thinking "discipline" before we got the official word was that he was there in warmup. Wondered out of curiosity why have him do that if he wasn’t going to play. "Because I told him to," Thompson said with a glare. Fair enough. Basically not to let him out of his responsibility to show up and be ready to play, even if he was late, is how it sounded. He said he didn’t know who’ll play tomorrow but Ho-Sang is an option. When you’re late, just like everybody else, you get fined or you’re not allowed to play," the coach said. "It’s been handled."

I don't know how after how much of a spotlight has been put on you about being on time that you could still be late...TO A GAME no less. To me that screams of a player who's not mentally ready yet and would be an insult to all those who are on time to reward him for that behavior. While a guy like Kearns is no way as talented as Ho-Sang, the Isles did the right thing calling him up first.

He was there for warm ups. How early does he need to be? I'm not saying he gets a pass whenever, but things do happen and we don't know the particulars. Unfortunately for him, he gets made an example of because he has messed up in the passed (which I thought was handled very well). I don't mind him being scratched because it does show there are consequences, but it doesn't mean he's some terrible teammate or doesn't understand the importance of a game. I'm late every day for work, it's just a part of my personality. Does that make me a terrible employee? I don't think it does.

It's something that needs to be fixed, but it's not as if he's been late to every game this season.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You make some valid points, but after going through guys like Nelson and Strome.... Give me a guy who has an immaturity problem.

You can teach maturity, but you cannot teach that talent.

I'll agree with you on talent, but is absolutely not always the case when it comes to maturity. Sometimes you cannot teach maturity. Because as of now Josh Ho Sang has shown he is not learning how to be mature. Management & coaching can only do so much. If you don't understand the insanely base-level connection that your career is on the line when you're late to a practice or game - Then I don't know how anyone outside of your cranium can teach you.

I mean running wind sprints up and down the stairs of the Coliseum after being THE ONLY PLAYER LATE to training camp didn't get him to change his actions. I'm not saying Ho Sang is a total lost cause because of course two years from now he could get it together, but so far it seems he's made little to no progress in terms of growing up and taking his career 100% seriously.

And what's frustrating is how many continue to make excuses to Ho Sang because of his talent. Anyone see Bouvillier show up late multiple times? What about Dal Colle? Pulock perhaps? Any other single player from the Islanders, Sound Tigers, any other prospect anywhere, and oh yeah...Any other hockey player in the NHL? Ho Sang is literally on one side of the bell-shaped curve in terms of a lack of maturity and some here think your raw talent can overcome that lack of maturity. Not a chance. It's a similar mentality that derailed Pavel Brendl's career, and Brendl was more talented than Ho Sang

You can brush off being late on these boards, but I can promise you it's a big deal - Especially when it's a pattern. And even more so when that pattern has been established, you've been made aware of it, you SAY you want to be the best player in your draft class...And then you do it again (as recently as a month ago). What message does it send to the organization, and your fellow teammates, about how you view your career...And them?

Again there is no doubting Ho Sang's talent, but there should be tons of doubt surrounding his mental game, because as of right now he's shown no progress towards taking his hockey career serious enough to warrant a chance at the NHL level. I also want to be clear as day that I'm pulling for him because a professional Ho-Sang helps the Islanders. However I never overlook behavior so right now unless he shows drastic change, I'm not counting on him.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'll agree with you on talent, but is absolutely not always the case when it comes to maturity. Sometimes you cannot teach maturity. Because as of now Josh Ho Sang has shown he is not learning how to be mature. Management & coaching can only do so much. If you don't understand the insanely base-level connection that your career is on the line when you're late to a practice or game - Then I don't know how anyone outside of your cranium can teach you.

I mean running wind sprints up and down the stairs of the Coliseum after being THE ONLY PLAYER LATE to training camp didn't get him to change his actions. I'm not saying Ho Sang is a total lost cause because of course two years from now he could get it together, but so far it seems he's made little to no progress in terms of growing up and taking his career 100% seriously.

And what's frustrating is how many continue to make excuses to Ho Sang because of his talent. Anyone see Bouvillier show up late multiple times? What about Dal Colle? Pulock perhaps? Any other single player from the Islanders, Sound Tigers, any other prospect anywhere, and oh yeah...Any other hockey player in the NHL? Ho Sang is literally on one side of the bell-shaped curve in terms of a lack of maturity and some here think your raw talent can overcome that lack of maturity. Not a chance. It's a similar mentality that derailed Pavel Brendl's career, and Brendl was more talented than Ho Sang

You can brush off being late on these boards, but I can promise you it's a big deal - Especially when it's a pattern. And even more so when that pattern has been established, you've been made aware of it, you SAY you want to be the best player in your draft class...And then you do it again (as recently as a month ago). What message does it send to the organization, and your fellow teammates, about how you view your career...And them?

Again there is no doubting Ho Sang's talent, but there should be tons of doubt surrounding his mental game, because as of right now he's shown no progress towards taking his hockey career serious enough to warrant a chance at the NHL level. I also want to be clear as day that I'm pulling for him because a professional Ho-Sang helps the Islanders. However I never overlook behavior so right now unless he shows drastic change, I'm not counting on him.

Great post, I cannot disagree with you.

However, this was the knock on Ho Sang the whole time. I think it will eventually come with him though. People his age cannot even show up to class on time, let alone play in the AHL with all those responsibilities.

I think he will become more mature, I guess time will tell.

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY

Personally, I don't think it's a question of dismissing his attitude problem/maturity. It's the biggest issue surrounding this player, and I am not sure if he will have what it takes.

However, as I see it, it is something that can be corrected. If a problem student ends up with the right teacher, that student can be turned around. Of course, the student has to want it. If he can be turned around, then he has the talent, which can't be taught. They both have to come together and I'm rooting for him to come around. There is no point in me thinking "Ho-Sang is an immature brat", and rooting against him to come around while he is an Islander prospect.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He was there for warm ups. How early does he need to be? I'm not saying he gets a pass whenever, but things do happen and we don't know the particulars. Unfortunately for him, he gets made an example of because he has messed up in the passed (which I thought was handled very well). I don't mind him being scratched because it does show there are consequences, but it doesn't mean he's some terrible teammate or doesn't understand the importance of a game. I'm late every day for work, it's just a part of my personality. Does that make me a terrible employee? I don't think it does.

It's something that needs to be fixed, but it's not as if he's been late to every game this season.

It was stated on this board that he was 45 minutes late for work that day due to the snow. He got stuck in traffic on his way to the arena. He called the coach to let him know he was running late. Still arrived in time to take warmups, then was scratched for being late for work. I assume Brent Thompson has a set arrival time for players to report for work on home games. JHS didn't make it in time and was disciplined for it.

It's also worth noting that since then Ho-Sang has played in all the games and statistically is playing his best hockey of the year.

I'm content to leave Ho-Sang in Bridgeport for the rest of the season and let his maturation process continue. We'll see him in camp in Spetember winning a job with the big club.

Last edited:

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Correct me if i am wrong but he was 'punished' for being late for a game/practice. He didn't get a DUI, no domestic violence, no drugs. Just being late. With all the bad crap going on in sports can we put this in perspective.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It was stated on this board that he was 45 minutes late for work that day due to the snow. He got stuck in traffic on his way to the arena. He called the coach to let him know he was running late. Still arrived in time to take warmups, the. Was scratched for being late for work. I assume Brent Thompson has a set arrival time for players to report for work on home games. JHS didn't make it in time and was disciplined for it.

It's also worth noting that since then Ho-Sang has played in all the games and statistically is playing his best hockey of the year.

I'm content to leave Ho-Sang in Bridgeport for the rest of the season and let his maturation process continue. We'll see him in camp in Spetember winning a job with the big club.

I have no problems with how the organization has handled his "behavior issues." Fans need to relax a little bit when criticizing though, because we don't know anything other than the fact that he was late and then scratched.

I'm fine with him getting a call up if the team needs it and he's doing all the right things in Bridgeport. Otherwise, waiting is fine. He'll get his shot when the time comes.

Correct me if i am wrong but he was 'punished' for being late for a game/practice. He didn't get a DUI, no domestic violence, no drugs. Just being late. With all the bad crap going on in sports can we put this in perspective.

Precisely my point.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

Every day? Yes, that makes you a bad employee, and it sets a horrible example around the office by the fact that it's allowed to continue. Your boss is a bad employee as well.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna

Depends on your job i would say. It would make you a horrible nurse (my current profession), but it wouldn't make you a horrible doctor. Considering how few people have the skills Ho-Sang has I dont think it would be a major problem for a NHL player, even though that is subjective of course.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Every day? Yes, that makes you a bad employee, and it sets a horrible example around the office by the fact that it's allowed to continue. Your boss is a bad employee as well.

Well it surely doesn't set a golden standard for employment.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Depends on your job i would say. It would make you a horrible nurse (my current profession), but it wouldn't make you a horrible doctor. Considering how few people have the skills Ho-Sang has I dont think it would be a major problem for a NHL player, even though that is subjective of course.

In my line of work (transportation) multiple latenesses would result in eventual termination.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Being late to practice/games scorecard:
Josh Ho-sang 2
Everyone other player in the Isles organziation 0

Of course being late is nowhere near getting a DUI, drugs, assault, or murder, but we're not judging this on a humanistic scale, but don't try to minimize that it's very significant in terms of showing your employer that you're ready to be taken seriously as a professional hockey player.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Josh Ho-sang 2

Of course being late is nowhere near getting a DUI, drugs, assault, or murder, but we're not judging this on a humanistic scale, but don't try to minimize that it's very significant in terms of showing your employer that you're ready to be taken seriously as a professional hockey player.

I am not judging it on the humanistic scale as it would be ridiculous. If anyone here is going to be so hypocritical as to say when you were a 19/20 year old and were never late to work/school, well then. No I am judging this on the sports scale world. You know the Patrick Kane, Evander Kane, Slava Voynov, Ryan O'Reilly, etc. All of listed(and there are more) are still playing and no on seems to care as long as they produce on the ice. Ho-Sang is a kid that was late twice! Let's pump the brakes on the kid has a attitude/behavioral problem just a bit. I would go as far as say if he can produce at the NHL level as good as he has been producing at the AHL level lately I would be more than OK if his biggest 'problem' was being late to a practice once a year.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Josh Ho-sang 2

You don't know that.

Josh ho Sang was punished twice for being late, doesn't mean he was the only one who was late and it doesn't mean those were his only two instances.

I'm not stressing it too too much. He was punished for that game but has played ever since. There as a reasonable excuse as it was a particularly bad day (again, maybe he wasn't the only one late that day). He hasn't sulked based on his play since. He hasn't requested a trade. He hasn't *****ed about it. There was no other rumors of poor behavior coming out of Bridgeport.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
You don't know that.

Josh ho Sang was punished twice for being late, doesn't mean he was the only one who was late and it doesn't mean those were his only two instances.

I'm not stressing it too too much. He was punished for that game but has played ever since. There as a reasonable excuse as it was a particularly bad day (again, maybe he wasn't the only one late that day). He hasn't sulked based on his play since. He hasn't requested a trade. He hasn't *****ed about it. There was no other rumors of poor behavior coming out of Bridgeport.

Kind of quite the opposite. Hasn't he had 2 or 3 benchings this year? This is also the rub he had in the CHL. I want the kid to pan out, and think he has electric talent, but it is a team game. He isn't Tavares' level, and he needs to look at Tavares. Soft spoken, aw shucks who leads by example, not with his mouth or flashiness

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Kind of quite the opposite. Hasn't he had 2 or 3 benchings this year? This is also the rub he had in the CHL. I want the kid to pan out, and think he has electric talent, but it is a team game. He isn't Tavares' level, and he needs to look at Tavares. Soft spoken, aw shucks who leads by example, not with his mouth or flashiness

Those benchings were because of his defensive play and 'swinging' skating habits. That's not poor behavior, just things he needs to improve on the ice.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Ridiculous.

I'm the only employee who has never received a complaint against them (I work with the public half of the time), has the most ability and knowledge for my position, am incredibly flexible on the hours I'm willing to work/change my hours to accommodate others, and rarely ever call out, but I'm a bad employee because I show up 5 minutes late every day. Oh the horror!

There are certain jobs where being timely is incredibly important, as MJF mentions above, but mine isn't one of those. Ho-Sang's isn't really one either in the grand scheme of things.

You don't know that.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Those benchings were because of his defensive play and 'swinging' skating habits. That's not poor behavior, just things he needs to improve on the ice.

I read Lighthouse Hockey daily too.

I'm so sure if you have played hockey and know what swinging habits are? It is a politically correct/not trying to rile up sensitive outspoken young players term for now working hard and not skating hard. Nothing to do with technique--unless not playing hard is a technique. I know Thompson said "he is trying hard." I doubt he wants to start a verbal war knowing how sensitive Ho Sang can be

Its hard to keep blaming "systems or coaches" when his junior team, Canadian junior team, the isles and the soundtigers keep having an issues. Maybe I'm a bit older and jaded, have hired and worked with too many similar people, but when a person has an issue with every authority figure they play with, 29 other teams pass, it tends to be that their attitude is the issue. I hope the kid pans out, but the best thing for the isles is if he turns it up the end of this BP season, and they can use him in a deal

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I'm so sure if you have played hockey and know what swinging habits are? It is a politically correct/not trying to rile up sensitive outspoken young players term for now working hard and not skating hard. Nothing to do with technique--unless not playing hard is a technique. I know Thompson said "he is trying hard." I doubt he wants to start a verbal ware knowing how sensitive Ho Sang can be

Its hard to keep blaming "systems or coaches" when his junior team, Canadian junior team, the isles and the soundtigers keep having an issues. Maybe I'm a bit older and jaded, have hired and worked with too many similar people, but when a person has an issue with every authority figure they play with, 29 other teams pass, it tends to be that their attitude is the issue. I hope the kid pans out, but the best thing for the isles is if he turns it up the end of this BP season, and they can use him in a deal

Swinging is an actual thing and it's not just about working hard.

I'm not saying the kid isn't immature or different than other kids, but to completely rip him because he's perceived as such a problem is ridiculous. Plenty of players have said they like playing with him, as well as coaches. He definitely has maturing to do, but none of his "issues" should impact his ability to become an NHL regular.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY

I'm so sure if you have played hockey and know what swinging habits are? It is a politically correct/not trying to rile up sensitive outspoken young players term for now working hard and not skating hard. Nothing to do with technique--unless not playing hard is a technique. I know Thompson said "he is trying hard." I doubt he wants to start a verbal war knowing how sensitive Ho Sang can be

It's still not behavioral. It's on ice poor play.

If he's taking the benching in stride and learning from it (hasn't been benched for a while, play away from the puck is improved, production is improved) then clearly he doesn't have an issue with Thompson and he is maturing. Honestly, we really don't know that that is the case. I just think if Josh was continuing his ways you'd hear something by now. I mean we heard a lot more about nino being a prima donna and not well liked (culminated by a trade request and his production plummeting when he didn't get called up). I haven't heard any one of that with jhs. We have one behavioral benching due to being late (there were definitely some circumstances beyond his control, yet still clearly his fault) and a bunch of benchings due to his play which is kinda normal for a kid his age (which he has also taken in stride as evidence by the fact that he wasn't blowing it up in the media, on Twitter, or through his agent).

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Can we stop syaing Ho-Sang has an "attitude problem?" He has maturity issues, but he's not selfish, he's not an *******, at least from what we knows. At his age, he needs to get more serious and start acting like a professional. Doesn't make him lazy, or mean he has an attitude that will prevent him from succeding in the NHL. He needs to grow up> every one his age does. Yes, you don't have other prospects being late, but his issues are more fixable than a lot of prospects who busted he is lumped in with for some reason.

What is important is that after initial sturggles he has adjusted tremendously to the pro agme and ius tearing up the AHL. We have reason to beleive his game will trasnslate and he can be a solid NHLer. In those regards, weshould hold him as highly in regards as any prosepct with an identical pedigree who doesn't have lateness issues, and that's of what we think can be a top 6 nHLer within 3 years. Yes, maturity CAN prevent him from beign a full tiem NHLer, but he is too young to decide that that will stop him at this point.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Can we stop syaing Ho-Sang has an "attitude problem?" He has maturity issues, but he's not selfish, he's not an *******, at least from what we knows. At his age, he needs to get more serious and start acting like a professional. Doesn't make him lazy, or mean he has an attitude that will prevent him from succeding in the NHL. He needs to grow up> every one his age does. Yes, you don't have other prospects being late, but his issues are more fixable than a lot of prospects who busted he is lumped in with for some reason.

What is important is that after initial sturggles he has adjusted tremendously to the pro agme and ius tearing up the AHL. We have reason to beleive his game will trasnslate and he can be a solid NHLer. In those regards, weshould hold him as highly in regards as any prosepct with an identical pedigree who doesn't have lateness issues, and that's of what we think can be a top 6 nHLer within 3 years. Yes, maturity CAN prevent him from beign a full tiem NHLer, but he is too young to decide that that will stop him at this point.

Well put, I agree completely. While no one likes his history of being tardy it is something that can be fixed. If he was out drinking or causing public disturbances etc then im alot more worried. I think he will straighten up just fine when surrounded by "men" (Islanders) I don't see JT, Boychuk, Ladd, Chimera, Hamonic etc will let that **** fly. They I hope will take him under there wing and he will learn from true professionals. They should have him living with Boulton while he is in the AHL...he is a hell of a good role model and...enforcer :sarcasm:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

Arthur Staple‏Verified account @StapeNewsday 2m2 minutes ago
More
#Isles have recalled Josh Ho-Sang on an emergency basis.

:yo::yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad