Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Another goal and an assist tonight. Really turning it up since getting used to the pro game. I believe him and Barzal with both likely make the team next season. Hopefully Barzal can join Bridgeport once his season ends in Seattle. Would love to see a line of MDC - Barzal - JHS in the playoffs. Would possibly make for the most dangerous line in the AHL.

Season to date:

47 GP
10 G
25 A
35 Pts

First 32 games: 3G 13A 16Pts -10
Last 15 games: 7G 12A 19Pts +9

Mods feel free to move this to The prospects thread if you would like. Just felt his play makes him deserving of his own thread at this point. JHS, Barzal, Pulock have to be our top 3 prospects and closest to NHL ready. Obviously Sorokin is up there, but until he comes here there is no saying he ever will.

Last edited:

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
He doesn't really play pp1 either. I expect those numbers to go up big time next year or even later this year when his role gets expanded.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
He doesn't really play pp1 either. I expect those numbers to go up big time next year or even later this year when his role gets expanded.

Very good point. There are still a few that will point to the healthy scratches JSH had this year, but I think Thompson is bringing JSH along well.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The issue with Ho Sang is NOT about talent...It's 100% his mental make up. Unlike any other prospect we have, because of multiple issues with responsibility he now needs to "OVER-PROVE" that he can be trusted to do the basic things required of a professional hockey player.

Does everyone here realize he was late for a game just last month? Here's the story...

"Josh Ho-Sang, said Brent Thompson, was late tonight to the arena so was scratched. How late? "Late enough." What gave me pause about thinking "discipline" before we got the official word was that he was there in warmup. Wondered out of curiosity why have him do that if he wasn’t going to play. "Because I told him to," Thompson said with a glare. Fair enough. Basically not to let him out of his responsibility to show up and be ready to play, even if he was late, is how it sounded. He said he didn’t know who’ll play tomorrow but Ho-Sang is an option. When you’re late, just like everybody else, you get fined or you’re not allowed to play," the coach said. "It’s been handled."

I don't know how after how much of a spotlight has been put on you about being on time that you could still be late...TO A GAME no less. To me that screams of a player who's not mentally ready yet and would be an insult to all those who are on time to reward him for that behavior. While a guy like Kearns is no way as talented as Ho-Sang, the Isles did the right thing calling him up first.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Snow will most likely trade Barzal and Ho Sang for a 30 year old with a big contract!

Halak, Strome, Kuli, Dal Colle, Hickey, 3rd-7th rd should be trade bait as well as Bailey if we can improve the first line right wing position.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Snow will most likely trade Barzal and Ho Sang for a 30 year old with a big contract!

Halak, Strome, Kuli, Dal Colle, Hickey, 3rd-7th rd should be trade bait as well as Bailey if we can improve the first line right wing position.

The last thing right now this team needs is a new 1st line RW. #2C Yes, allows Brock to use that wrister we all want to see.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

When has snow done anything of the sort?

Maybe the Smyth trade, but one Smyth absolutely helped us reach the playoffs and two Nilsson and O'mara were not blue chip specs.

I understand the snow hate, but give me a break.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Ladd's buddy Stafford will most likely be a target...The Ladd, Weight, Stafford Connection

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
The issue with Ho Sang is NOT about talent...It's 100% his mental make up. Unlike any other prospect we have, because of multiple issues with responsibility he now needs to "OVER-PROVE" that he can be trusted to do the basic things required of a professional hockey player.

Does everyone here realize he was late for a game just last month? Here's the story...

"Josh Ho-Sang, said Brent Thompson, was late tonight to the arena so was scratched. How late? "Late enough." What gave me pause about thinking "discipline" before we got the official word was that he was there in warmup. Wondered out of curiosity why have him do that if he wasn’t going to play. "Because I told him to," Thompson said with a glare. Fair enough. Basically not to let him out of his responsibility to show up and be ready to play, even if he was late, is how it sounded. He said he didn’t know who’ll play tomorrow but Ho-Sang is an option. When you’re late, just like everybody else, you get fined or you’re not allowed to play," the coach said. "It’s been handled."

I don't know how after how much of a spotlight has been put on you about being on time that you could still be late...TO A GAME no less. To me that screams of a player who's not mentally ready yet and would be an insult to all those who are on time to reward him for that behavior. While a guy like Kearns is no way as talented as Ho-Sang, the Isles did the right thing calling him up first.

I hate to agree with this but its all true he has to over prove and being late last month is a big deal.

He will only be brought up if strome gets hurt or traded at this point and unless has an amazing camp and beats some guys out. He still has solve more of the maturity issues we won't see him for a while next year either.

Lineup next year barring trades and expansion

lee-tav-Bailey
nelson-beau- strome
ladd- barzel-chimera
86-53-15

Quine and prince extras where does Ho sang fit?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

You make some valid points, but after going through guys like Nelson and Strome.... Give me a guy who has an immaturity problem.

You can teach maturity, but you cannot teach that talent.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
You make some valid points, but after going through guys like Nelson and Strome.... Give me a guy who has an immaturity problem.

You can teach maturity, but you cannot teach that talent.

The thing is it isn't just about being mature enough to get to the rink on time. If a player isn't "coachable" and doesn't commit towards playing the coach's system (something Ho-sang has been accused of) he will not make the team next year. As exciting as some of his plays may be and as great as he looks on the ice, those type of players negate a coach's ability to make adjustments and gameplan. This is largely the reason why so many fans get frustrated with coach's "obsession" with inferiorly talented players. The best news we could hope for with regards to Ho-sang's development is not on the scoresheet, it's news that he has dedicated himself towards playing a team game.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Look at the issues Patrick Kane gets into off the ice. Same with Evander. However, if you produce those things will go to the wayside.

I understand those two have accomplished more at the NHL level, however maturity is maturity on any level.

I'm not saying give Ho Sang a pass, but I think to many people are putting emphasis on spectacular character and not enough on what he brings on the ice.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The thing is it isn't just about being mature enough to get to the rink on time. If a player isn't "coachable" and doesn't commit towards playing the coach's system (something Ho-sang has been accused of) he will not make the team next year. As exciting as some of his plays may be and as great as he looks on the ice, those type of players negate a coach's ability to make adjustments and gameplan. This is largely the reason why so many fans get frustrated with coach's "obsession" with inferiorly talented players. The best news we could hope for with regards to Ho-sang's development is not on the scoresheet, it's news that he has dedicated himself towards playing a team game.

Judging by how he has developed over the course of the season one could argue that he has been very coachable.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

This reminds me of Allen Iverson (now if JHS can be the Allen Iverson of the NHL then I dont care how often he is late) Besides how late is late? Did the first period start?

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Judging by how he has developed over the course of the season one could argue that he has been very coachable.

What do mean by "how he developed" over the course of the season? Are you referring to his point production? Because I don't think that tells us much about how he has adjusted to playing Thompson's system. Look at how many points he put up in Jr and yet wasn't even interviewed by more than half the teams in the first round. To be clear, I really don't care much about the stuff he does off the ice. I certainly care about a players maturity when it impacts his ability to play a fundamentally sound team game.

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
Kid has been on fire recently, don't think its that crazy of an idea that he outplays Prince for the 13th forward spot next season.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Kid has been on fire recently, don't think its that crazy of an idea that he outplays Prince for the 13th forward spot next season.

The only way Ho Sang doesn't make the team is if Snow acquires someone to play top six.

If you ask me, Ho Sang is penciled in to next year's lineup.

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
The only way Ho Sang doesn't make the team is if Snow acquires someone to play top six.

If you ask me, Ho Sang is penciled in to next year's lineup.

you're probably right especially if Vegas takes Strome or Nelson in the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad