Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Not me, I like MDC's game way better since he's been in the NHL this time around. Makes smart plays, doesn't hold on to the puck too long and plays the type of game a rookie should earning his way. I take MDC in the lineup every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Guess some more important people agree with me as well. MDC doesn't have boom or bust play where he may deke five guys and set up offense or lose the puck at the blue line and cause an odd man rush going the other way. I prefer that game for this team right now than I would JHS, for sure.
GWG and I knew the Monday morning quarterbacks would come out

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
I disagree - The kid scored a big goal tonight, but if Ho-Sang can get it together -

Dal Colle had a nice goal tonight, but he offers nothing - he doesn't impact the game or create or generate shots.

MDC has two game winning goals while playing on the 3rd line with no PP time all while playing a responsible 200 foot game. To say he offers nothing is very dramatic.

No one here wants JHS to fail. But let's be real. Flash back to Sep 2018. No one would have put MDC higher on the depth chart than JHS. JHS only has himself to blame for his failures. He has the ability, but is uncoachable and immature.

We should all be grateful that MDC really turned it up this year.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The sad part is the kid obviously has some deamons.

Various people have tried and yet no one can get through to him.

Hope he can get some help and turn his career around somewhere.

Reactions: CBG

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
MDC has two game winning goals while playing on the 3rd line with no PP time all while playing a responsible 200 foot game. To say he offers nothing is very dramatic.

No one here wants JHS to fail. But let's be real. Flash back to Sep 2018. No one would have put MDC higher on the depth chart than JHS. JHS only has himself to blame for his failures. He has the ability, but is uncoachable and immature.

We should all be grateful that MDC really turned it up this year.

Let's be real JHS can't show his worth if he's sitting on a bench in the AHL.
MDC and JHS are nothing alike. They are entirely two different players. MDC really hasnt proven much. He was drafted with a number 5OA pick. He's trending upward which is good but he's still a disappointment overall. Hopefully he's a late bloomer and continues to progress because he was advertised as a goal scorer with a great shot. We are yet to see the sniper.Considering the talent the Islanders passed on to draft him he needs to get much better rather quickly. He has two goals in his entire career they just happen to be game winners. I watched him live against the N YR and he was invisible.

JHS was drafted much later in rd 1 and was advertised more as a speedy play maker. Well it's hard to assess his talent if Trotz doesn't play him or put him in a position to succeed. Certainly doesn't help the Isles team if he is in Bridgeport.
And Brent Thompson has never shown to be a good coach. I don't mind healthy scratchers as they can send a message. Mdc was a healthy scratch on occasion.
JHS maybe immature but he is very coachable. I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion.
You don't make it to the NHL by being a brat.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
MDC and JHS are nothing alike. They are entirely two different players. MDC really hasnt proven much. He was drafted with a number 5OA pick. He's trending upward which is good but he's still a disappointment overall. Hopefully he's a late bloomer and continues to progress because he was advertised as a goal scorer with a great shot. We are yet to see the sniper.Considering the talent the Islanders passed on to draft him he needs to get much better rather quickly. He has two goals in his entire career they just happen to be game winners. I watched him live against the N YR and he was invisible.

JHS was drafted much later in rd 1 and was advertised more as a speedy play maker. Well it's hard to assess his talent if Trotz doesn't play him or put him in a position to succeed. Certainly doesn't help the Isles team if he is in Bridgeport.
And Brent Thompson has never shown to be a good coach. I don't mind healthy scratchers as they can send a message. Mdc was a healthy scratch on occasion.
JHS maybe immature but he is very coachable. I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion.
You do realize he was put on the no draft list by quite a few nhl teams. Talent was never a question with him. It would be best for both sides for a divorce as it does not look like it’s going to work out here.

Reactions: CBG

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

You can't be serious. You just said "he's very coachable" I hope that was a typo. If not, what is your evidence that he is?

When you don't listen to your coaches you're not coachable. It's that simple. BT was very clear about how JHS didn't do what he was asked. Not to mention he's had this reputation for years. He also failed to do what he was asked in the minors, hench healthy scratch.

Not to mention endless old articles pointing out his crap attitude and immaturity.

Sunday Big Read: Josh Ho-Sang vs. the world - Sportsnet.ca

Islanders AHL coach on Josh Ho-Sang: 'He's got a lot of growing to do' - Sportsnet.ca

https://www.bardown.com/the-islande...sh-ho-sang-for-being-a-baby-and-immature-1.96

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You do realize he was put on the no draft list by quite a few nhl teams. Talent was never a question with him. It would be best for both sides for a divorce as it does not look like it’s going to work out here.

I remember the draft pretty well and JHS's reputation.
I remember him being late for training camp practice also.
I see him as a kid who needs to mature. If anything Trotz has shown to have patience with young players and is willing to teach.

At first Trotz seemed to have a problem with his lack of production at the AHL level.

I like Josh and feel he belongs in the NHl but I don't see him as a goal scorer.

I also don't see him as a floater. I'm glad he isn't a quitter. He maybe a little miscast.

Just as you pointed out that talent isn't or never has been in question.
But to say he is uncoachable is yet to be proven.
First off you don't trade a player when his value is this low.
You play him to increase trade value and if a player is uncoachable why would any other team take a chance on him?
Why don't the NYI just release him?
So no I disagree completely with your opinion on him being "uncoachable".

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I see him as a kid who needs to mature. If anything Trotz has shown to have patience with young players and is willing to teach.

At first Trotz seemed to have a problem with his lack of production at the AHL level.

I like Josh and feel he belongs in the NHl but I don't see him as a goal scorer.

I also don't see him as a floater. I'm glad he isn't a quitter. He maybe a little miscast.

You play him to increase trade value and if a player is uncoachable why would any other team take a chance on him?

He got sent down because he was not producing while getting PP and top 2 minutes. He also was reverting to undisciplined play with the puck, turnovers, and a little floating. His response in the AHL since the demotion has been poor. His maturity has been in question now for 3-4 years, maybe more. How much longer to you give a player who just won’t respond to adversity like a professional?

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

I never said he was uncoachable. He does seem to have a tough time of breaking old habits which Trots said in his presser hence why he’s back in the Ahl. If the islanders don’t trade him I doubt they qualify him in the offseason.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
The sad part is the kid obviously has some deamons.

Various people have tried and yet no one can get through to him.

Hope he can get some help and turn his career around somewhere.

I think this might be the problem. I’d be surprised to see him on the isles after the deadline. To bad. Looked good when he was up.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
He got sent down because he was not producing while getting PP and top 2 minutes. He also was reverting to undisciplined play with the puck, turnovers, and a little floating. His response in the AHL since the demotion has been poor. His maturity has been in question now for 3-4 years, maybe more. How much longer to you give a player who just won’t respond to adversity like a professional?

The response is the worst part. His game was declining when he got demoted but overall he was pretty good when he played. Didn’t get the production the analytics uggest.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Never say Never but I think JHS needs to be elsewhere I just don't think he will EVER get it. I don't think anyone denies his talent but I question his maturity and mental toughness

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
You have LL as GM and BT as coach. Two legendary architects who will both go straight to the hall of fame for getting the most out of every team they have been associated with.

If they can't get the kid to play at an NHL level then nobody can.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
The response is the worst part. His game was declining when he got demoted but overall he was pretty good when he played. Didn’t get the production the analytics uggest.

I thought he was good in a 3rd line role. It seemed like once they elevated him up to line 2 he took too much freedom in the role of contributing to a “scoring” line. I definitely noticed his turnovers and inability to consistently make the smart play (I.e., get the puck in deep if covered).

Reactions: duster19

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
You have LL as GM and BT as coach. Two legendary architects who will both go straight to the hall of fame for getting the most out of every team they have been associated with.

If they can't get the kid to play at an NHL level then nobody can.
Hosang and a 1st for RNH

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I thought he was good in a 3rd line role. It seemed like once they elevated him up to line 2 he took too much freedom in the role of contributing to a “scoring” line. I definitely noticed his turnovers and inability to consistently make the smart play (I.e., get the puck in deep if covered).

Definitely. I saw that creeping into his game as well. Started over handling puck as well.

I wouldn’t call his time here poor. I think he was very good and even one of their better players some nights. One of the worst as well. I see potential for an NHL player He just needs to get his act together (which...I dunno). He needs to Listen and Work. And say thanks Lou. I’m not sure why he didn’t get the memo - everyone else has.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

How long did Trotz need to leave Ho-Sang on the 1st line or on a line with Nelson and Lee before he could say he's had enough of Ho-Sang?

SI

Feb 16, 2013

The overhandling of the puck was not the problem, but the floating, the casual play away from the puck, his lack of focus on the details.

I certainly believe he is the better option in the top 9 and a visit to the press box for a couple of nights would have set him straight, but people have eluded to more off ice stuff.

1 Cup- you are right 2 GWG does impact the game and it is good to see someone that we all rated at 20th best prospect on the team at the beginning of the season, turn it around

Last edited:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
No one knows why JHS is back in the AHL, but I can assure you all that it's the right decision.

He wasn't a can't miss type of prospect, and since being drafted, hasn't played like one either. That's not to say he has no hope of being an NHL regular one day.
But with his contract running out this summer, it's starting to look like his time here is coming to an end.
And to be honest, no biggie.
If that is the case, I hope he is used in a trade at the TDL...being a throw in is probably the most use the Isles will get out of him...

Reactions: periferal

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

"JHS maybe immature but he is very coachable". In what universe is this a true statement? The exact opposite is the very essence of why he is not playing in the NHL right now (well, not the immaturity part, that is spot on).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad