Trade: Josh Donaldson traded to Cleveland

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The Jays got two fine years out of Donaldson in the short term.

Long term..... you think the Jays will have any regrets?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
They've treated him horribly recently. This is guy who said he wanted to apply for Canadian citizenship a couple years ago. I feel sorry that this is how his career is going to end with the Jays.

Yeah, something smells. Josh doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would make this up either. He loves Canada and the Jays are screwing with him.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
clashed with the A's FO and now it looks like the same is happening in toronto

hmmmmm.....

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Side note: Both of those teams are allergic to spending money.

Could have something to do with is desire to win and teams not matching his standard.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't see how he could be upset with the Jays, to be honest, outside of them taking him to arbitration after his MVP season.

This year was entirely on Donaldson's poor performance and being prone to injury. Can't fault Shapiro for that. JD is a shell of his former self and now that his career is on the decline he's lashing out at management? Yeah ok. :help: :shakehead

I remember when he was comparable to Machado as one of the top 3Bs in the game. Look at him now. Blaming the Jays' brass for his plummeting stock isn't a wise move, IMO. He had every chance to compete in Toronto.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't see how he could be upset with the Jays, to be honest, outside of them taking him to arbitration after his MVP season.

This year was entirely on Donaldson's poor performance and being prone to injury. Can't fault Shapiro for that. JD is a shell of his former self and now that his career is on the decline he's lashing out at management? Yeah ok. :help: :shakehead

I remember when he was comparable to Machado as one of the top 3Bs in the game. Look at him now. Blaming the Jays' brass for his plummeting stock isn't a wise move, IMO. He had every chance to compete in Toronto.

It's also quite possible that Josh knows more about the situation than we do. If he's upset with FO then it's quite possible something is there.

I just think it's really unfortunate that this is how he's leaving. Not like....a huge long term Blue Jay but I don't think his legacy or impact is going to be properly remembered either.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's also quite possible that Josh knows more about the situation than we do. If he's upset with FO then it's quite possible something is there.

I just think it's really unfortunate that this is how he's leaving. Not like....a huge long term Blue Jay but I don't think his legacy or impact is going to be properly remembered either.

Well I would certainly hope so. :laugh:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Frontrunners are Cleveland and St. Louis, according to one report I heard on 590 earlier.

Cleveland would be cool, to see him reunite with EE.

And wasn't St. Louis chasing him last offseason?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Frontrunners are Cleveland and St. Louis, according to one report I heard on 590 earlier.

Cleveland would be cool, to see him reunite with EE.

And wasn't St. Louis chasing him last offseason?
Yeah, we kept chasing him all winter.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Cards have been after him for a solid, like 2 years at this point. IIRC they tried to kick the tires after 2016 as well.

Probably could get him for next to nothing at this point so i imagine he's gone by midnight.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
And the Indians were the other team, obviously.

I am still very skeptical he can stay healthy but if he can, he can't be any worse than Kipnis. Ramirez goes to 2B.

There is probably like a 3-5% chance this is the move that wins the Indians the 2018 World Series.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i wonder what would be more valuable. The compensatory pick they might have received had they kept him and qualified him this off season or the prospect(s) they will receive in this trade.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Side note: Both of those teams are allergic to spending money.

Could have something to do with is desire to win and teams not matching his standard.
Josh clashed with Beane because he was feeling sore and tired and asked Melvin for a day off during the pennant race in 2014. When Beane saw Donaldson was scratched he went and had words with him that ended with Josh calling him "Billy boy". Billy promptly dealt him to Toronto in the offseason not because of money, but out of spite. He was dumb to not at least put him on the market. The deal is eerily familiar to Joe Thornton's.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00