Trade: Josh Donaldson traded to Cleveland

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Long term..... you think the Jays will have any regrets?

Yes.

Toronto should have moved Donaldson a year ago at the very least. With Donaldson struggling with injuries and being a free agent, the return won't be what fans are hoping for.

This isn't the same Cleveland team that choked away the World Series to Chicago and last year to New York. Pitching has taken a step back while being propped up by the worst division in baseball.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Yes.

Toronto should have moved Donaldson a year ago at the very least. With Donaldson struggling with injuries and being a free agent, the return won't be what fans are hoping for.

This isn't the same Cleveland team that choked away the World Series to Chicago and last year to New York. Pitching has taken a step back while being propped up by the worst division in baseball.
Indians have the most wins in the AL since the all star break. There problem was that their bullpen was a dumpster fire, but since then they've completely revamped their bullpen by adding Miller from the DL (even though he's back now), Hand, and Cimber.

The Indians only lost the World Series in 2016 because they only have 2 healthy starting pitchers too. In those playoffs they were 9-2 with a pitcher going on full or extended rest and just 1-3 with a pitcher on short rest. Those 3 losses on short rest happened to be games 5, 6, and 7 of the World series. Kluber's game 7 start was his 3rd start in 8 days. Francona really screwed the pooch that series I felt. If he reversed Tomlin and Bauer in games 2 and 3 and started Merritt in game 5, allowing Tomlin to go on regular rest in game 6 I just don't see the Indians losing. Hell, even without switching Bauer/Tomlin, he should have gone to Merritt in game 5 and had Tomlin ready to relieve a rested Bauer in game 6 if he was shaky.

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

I don't think you recall who was in their rotation in 2016 by the time the playoffs rolled around. It was Kluber, an inconsistent Bauer who had yet to figure it out, the very average Josh Tomlin and no one else.

They also did stupid shit last year that hurt their chances. Not putting Clevinger in the playoff rotation, announcing Tomlin would be in it, which led to them changing their minds and Bauer starting Game 4 on 3 days rest. They were starting a career minor leaguer in Gio Urshella at 3B. Kipnis was also playing CF, which was beyond bizarre and they better not think that is a sound strategy worth repeating if Donaldson is healthy.

They should have a better squad out there to start the playoffs (assuming they are healthy) than both years if they don't decide to go crazy like last year.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Jays could have really had a good team for a few years but after years of AA mismanagement the reaper has come. AA made some good moves (JD, Price, Estrada) but the hilariously disastrous Dickey and Tulo trades as well as the worst contract in baseball being given to Martin ensured that the Jays were always on borrowed time.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Gonna miss Donaldson. Can't believe 3+ years are already over. Time goes by fast.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Jays could have really had a good team for a few years but after years of AA mismanagement the reaper has come. AA made some good moves (JD, Price, Estrada) but the hilariously disastrous Dickey and Tulo trades as well as the worst contract in baseball being given to Martin ensured that the Jays were always on borrowed time.

Russell Martin has gotta be nowhere near the worst contract in baseball.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
20 million for a guy that's barely above replacement level has to be up there. I guess Chris Davis is worse, and arguably Tulowitzki, but AA only traded for Tulo's awful contract so he only gets part of the blame there.

Oh your larger point is dead on, just thought that was out there. Russ is still at least a positive, that alone should put him out of the conversation. Well there shouldn't even be a conversation because the answers obviously Pujols.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Indians have the most wins in the AL since the all star break. There problem was that their bullpen was a dumpster fire, but since then they've completely revamped their bullpen by adding Miller from the DL (even though he's back now), Hand, and Cimber.

The Indians only lost the World Series in 2016 because they only have 2 healthy starting pitchers too. In those playoffs they were 9-2 with a pitcher going on full or extended rest and just 1-3 with a pitcher on short rest. Those 3 losses on short rest happened to be games 5, 6, and 7 of the World series. Kluber's game 7 start was his 3rd start in 8 days. Francona really screwed the pooch that series I felt. If he reversed Tomlin and Bauer in games 2 and 3 and started Merritt in game 5, allowing Tomlin to go on regular rest in game 6 I just don't see the Indians losing. Hell, even without switching Bauer/Tomlin, he should have gone to Merritt in game 5 and had Tomlin ready to relieve a rested Bauer in game 6 if he was shaky.
They also get to play a lot of games against 4 terrible teams.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
20 million for a guy that's barely above replacement level has to be up there. I guess Chris Davis is worse, and arguably Tulowitzki, but AA only traded for Tulo's awful contract so he only gets part of the blame there.

How is Martin barely above replacement? His 92 wRC+ is quite respectable for a catcher and his overall defensive value is fairly good as well, he's clocking in as pretty much a league average catcher this season. He's not value for money, but it isn't that bad a deal for the backend of a free agent contract.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Miguel Cabrera is 35, hasn’t been good and healthy in two years, and has 5/154 left so I don’t know how he doesn’t come up in a worst contract conversation.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The Main problem with Russell Martin is that he's currently blocking one of the top catching prospects in baseball. Ideally he's moved next July with the Jays eating some money so they can let Jansen take over full time duties.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I’m not sure what Donaldson was worth, but I’m surprised this is all the Blue Jays could get.

he's been injured for the past couple seasons and not getting younger. and when he has been healthy he's looked like he's on the decline

plus TOR was dead set on getting rid of him. no surprises

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
It was a fun ride when Donaldson and the rest of Jays team that AA created were winning and in the playoffs
Time to move on. Get rid of Tulo and Martin and let the younger guys play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->