Player Discussion Josh Brown (D) signs two-year deal (1.2M AAV)

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
He's close but no, he isn't quite there yet. I have no clue why we keep throwing him out there though. Awful.

And today was actually one of his better games.

there have been guys come thru worse than him, but they didnt stick around as long as Brown has.

Alsing was probably the worst. He made Brown look competent

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
there have been guys come thru worse than him, but they didnt stick around as long as Brown has.

Alsing was probably the worst. He made Brown look competent

Andre Roy was awfulll. Probably similar, or close, to Brown's level. He stuck around for a long while.

Matt Kassian sucked for a long time.

Brown hasn't played for that long. Without his DJ connection he would have played about 100 NHL games.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Andre Roy was awfulll. Probably similar, or close, to Brown's level. He stuck around for a long while.

Brown hasn't played for that long. Without his DJ connection he would have played about 100 NHL games.

I should have said full time NHL dman. You're right we've had worse forwards. Poorly worded on my part

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

At least you could justify Kassian’s role because he could fight Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren when the goon leafs were taking liberties (and they actually did take liberties, unlike now when it seems to rarely happen).

Same with Andre Roy, he wasn’t a great fighter but he was the best the Sens had at a time when there were menaces roaming the division. He also had a pretty hard shot which always left me wondering if there was a little bit of potential hidden there (there wasn’t). I also generally think he was better at hockey than Brown. He played another 300 NHL games after leaving the Sens.

Brown sucks at hockey and fighting. 0 chance he plays 300 NHL games after Ottawa.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
J. Brown is likely still around because of Covid & the team needing bodies just in case. The refs should have blown the whistle when there were about 6 or 7 guys tied up in that scrum at the bench. That play that led to the goal with J. Brown covering Jankowski was very similar to the goal Yamomotto scored with Brannstrom on him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Better than gudbrannson and I don’t think there’s that much difference with Zaitsev except Zaitsev is expensive.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
J. Brown is likely still around because of Covid & the team needing bodies just in case. The refs should have blown the whistle when there were about 6 or 7 guys tied up in that scrum at the bench. That play that led to the goal with J. Brown covering Jankowski was very similar to the goal Yamomotto scored with Brannstrom on him.

LOL. Give me break man. I know you don't like small players but the two goals are not similar in any way. Brannstrom tried to break up a breakaway pass, and did an OK job defending; Murray let in a weak one. Brown had full control of the puck at the red line and was stripped of the puck. He then did little to stop Jankowski. Not remotely similar.

For sure the play should have been blown dead but Brown knew it wasn't and let himself be stripped of the puck with no help behind him and all the time in the world to move the puck. It was an awful play by a terrible player who is not here because of Covid. He's here because our coach (and GM apparently) think he's good. He's not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
DJ Smith just can’t quit Josh Brown. I’m not anti-Josh Brown but I’m not sitting here pretending he’s a core element and his integrity keeps the team honest. Josh Brown hasn’t been great to our eyes - and Of course I want him to be the next Shane Hnidy but that’s not what’s happening

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Zaitsev looks bad in high leverage situations against the other team's best players. Josh Brown looks bad in 9 minutes of ice time against a bad team's worst players. There's a difference.
When Zaitsev got moved down for a couple games he looked bad as well. A rookie not exactly physically ready has stepped in playing with Zaitsev partner and we’ve lost essentially nothing.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Dillon Heatherington is what the coach thinks Josh Brown is.

He's looked better than J. Bro for sure. I'll have to wait until he plays more games to be sure but for now he deserves to be in the lineup ahead of Brown.

To me Heatherington is a pretty typical 7th D who plays 40-50 games a season. Brown is more suited to be further down the depth chart. Preferably he'd be in the AHL though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hey DJ and Dorion ... the fans want to see Demelo play with Chabot and think he's better than Zaitsev
Dorion .. laughing.. no problem DJ .. I can fix this.

Hey DJ and Dorion... the fans want to see Heatherington in the lineup over Josh Brown.
Dorion .. laughing.. no problem DJ .. I can fix this.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
At least you could justify Kassian’s role because he could fight Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren when the goon leafs were taking liberties (and they actually did take liberties, unlike now when it seems to rarely happen).

Same with Andre Roy, he wasn’t a great fighter but he was the best the Sens had at a time when there were menaces roaming the division. He also had a pretty hard shot which always left me wondering if there was a little bit of potential hidden there (there wasn’t). I also generally think he was better at hockey than Brown. He played another 300 NHL games after leaving the Sens.

Brown sucks at hockey and fighting. 0 chance he plays 300 NHL games after Ottawa.

That should be the case; however we have Dorion at the helm and DJ as first mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
LOL. Give me break man. I know you don't like small players but the two goals are not similar in any way. Brannstrom tried to break up a breakaway pass, and did an OK job defending; Murray let in a weak one. Brown had full control of the puck at the red line and was stripped of the puck. He then did little to stop Jankowski. Not remotely similar.

For sure the play should have been blown dead but Brown knew it wasn't and let himself be stripped of the puck with no help behind him and all the time in the world to move the puck. It was an awful play by a terrible player who is not here because of Covid. He's here because our coach (and GM apparently) think he's good. He's not.
Basically I agree with both you and Aragorn. Context! :)

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He has really struggled these last two games. One thing that really stands out to me is that I don't notice his "supposed" strengths. I rarely notice any big hits from him, I can't recall him bullying players in front of the net and in the corners, he rarely fights, he rarely gets in other players faces or tries to stir things up to spark the team. I get that he has a lot of other flaws but when he doesn't even stound out at the role he is supposed to be taking on that is a problem.

Gudbranson, for all his faults, still threw massive hits, bullied opponents around the net, jumped into every scrum and threw bombs when he fought. The past players from the Sens who took on this D enforcer role were Mark Borowiecki and Matt Carkner and both of them stood out more than Josh Brown. Their faults and flaws are much easier to live with when they are at least bringing something of significance to the table.

Brown has been given quite a bit of time to embrace his role and the Sens even parted ways with Gudbranson, giving Brown the sole responsibility to take on this role on the back end. Brown has not embraced this role and there is little indication that he will embrace it more in the future.. Given that he is a UFA at the end of the season it looks like it will be time to move on from him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He had some good moments last night when paired with Brannstrom but we now have better options than Brown. Last year was different but I’d play Heatherington over Brown this year for sure. Once Zaitsev is back we should alternate JBD and Thomson with Brown being the scratch.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tyler Kleven LD is who we hope will be the better version of all these 3rd pairing defencemen Dorion keeps bringing in. Hopefully, he becomes as tough as Gudbranson & as good defensively as Zub. Ottawa drafting Jiricek RD in this 2022 draft would also help solidify a future defence corps.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tyler Kleven LD is who we hope will be the better version of all these 3rd pairing defencemen Dorion keeps bringing in. Hopefully, he becomes as tough as Gudbranson & as good defensively as Zub. Ottawa drafting Jiricek RD in this 2022 draft would also help solidify a future defence corps.
Let us hope that that is kleven

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I listened to an interview with Kleven’s dad, and apparently his slipper is insanely hard, and has been since he was a kid.

That would be something dynamic to add to our offensive arsenal.

Also, Josh Brown has been a good soldier for us during this rebuild, but he’s the next guy off to the press box for good once Zaitsev and then Sanderson arrive.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He has really struggled these last two games. One thing that really stands out to me is that I don't notice his "supposed" strengths. I rarely notice any big hits from him, I can't recall him bullying players in front of the net and in the corners, he rarely fights, he rarely gets in other players faces or tries to stir things up to spark the team. I get that he has a lot of other flaws but when he doesn't even stound out at the role he is supposed to be taking on that is a problem.

Gudbranson, for all his faults, still threw massive hits, bullied opponents around the net, jumped into every scrum and threw bombs when he fought. The past players from the Sens who took on this D enforcer role were Mark Borowiecki and Matt Carkner and both of them stood out more than Josh Brown. Their faults and flaws are much easier to live with when they are at least bringing something of significance to the table.

Brown has been given quite a bit of time to embrace his role and the Sens even parted ways with Gudbranson, giving Brown the sole responsibility to take on this role on the back end. Brown has not embraced this role and there is little indication that he will embrace it more in the future.. Given that he is a UFA at the end of the season it looks like it will be time to move on from him.

Brown has done nothing physical the last few games … especially towards the end where some got chippy … Brady, Watson, Norris and co giving and taking a beating and Brown just watching …

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Great post.

Zaitsev looks bad in high leverage situations against the other team's best players. Josh Brown looks bad in 9 minutes of ice time against a bad team's worst players. There's a difference.
Never seen a player make his partner look worse than Zaitsev this year. The situation he puts them in are so bad. Chabot can seem to handle it, no one else can. Both are terrible, both should never play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad