Player Discussion Josh Brown (D) signs two-year deal (1.2M AAV)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thought he looked decent last night. I think if he can play a simple game and stick to his strengths he can be a decent bottom pair guy, but so far he's been a let down more often than not, good to see him find his groove, hopefully he can keep it up.

Hopefully he plays well enough so the Senators can get a 3rd round draft pick in 2022 draft at the TDL.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It had an impact on the game & that is that Ottawa didn't lose a better player in that fight. That they didn't back down & look weak against a big tough guy & that they stood up for themselves rather than just lay down & take it. It's why having Tkachuk as our captain is so important, it's a message to other teams that they will fight to the end & never give up.

Like it or not, it's still part of the game & while it looks staged coaches do tap guys in the back looking to them to try & spark a team at a particular time. It is what it is & good on Ottawa for responding rather than look like they could be pushed around. If they ever take fighting out of the game then it's a different story, but teams/players still look to intimidate & push other teams around physically & even Ottawa does that at times with some teams. I wish they would do it more with the stinking Leafs.

I wish Ottawa had more players who could do it regularly to take the pressure off Tkachuk. I miss having the McGrattans, Carkners, Neils, etc. Hopefully we can add one or two young ones who can play 4th line hockey and not be a defensive liability.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not wild assumptions bud. Try watching some of the tough guy docs out there to get a sense of what the (pre and during) game is like for them.

Liberties don’t need to be penalties as you know. You’re being deliberately dense.

Sabs was put in the line up directly to deal with Flames big guys if things popped off. DJ said as much so no need to make things up.

He ‘decided’ to fight because that’s why he was in the line up, and Lucic wanted to fight someone and knew to (respectfully) approach the tough guy inserted into the line up first. Your statements about how many times he has fought or how you viewed the toughness of the game are pointless since this happens to be one of those time where Lucic decided he was going to fight.

As I have tried to explain to you, if the ‘tough guy’ inserted into the line up to counter the other teams tough guys, doesn’t answer the bell, and ends up letting one of the regular roster players have to deal with it (Lucic), then he serves no purpose in the line up at all.

This a guy who literally fights for ever NHL second, who is in the line up for one purpose, and you expect him to pass that situation by? You think the coaching staff has him in the line up to play 4 minutes and say no to Lucic?

My points stand, including you having no idea what you’re talking about. Perhaps you should be griping about the roster decisions?
Who pissed in your Cornflakes?

Why dont you tone down your attitude, "bud"? Internet tough guys and bullying aren't cool.

You are making huge assumptions and there is no debating it. This long story of what would have happened if that fight didn't take place is just your imagination.

For arguments sake let's say Lucic wanted to take penalty-less liberties with our team. You are telling me that him beating up Sabourin replaces that? He zest for blood was satiated?

I like fighting as much as anyone and understand it's place in the game very well both from personal experience and from being an avid fan and that fight just didn't make sense from the Senators side.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I wish Ottawa had more players who could do it regularly to take the pressure off Tkachuk. I miss having the McGrattans, Carkners, Neils, etc. Hopefully we can add one or two young ones who can play 4th line hockey and not be a defensive liability.
When we needed them they were great but a McGrattan on the team now would be a complete waste.

Would take a Neil any day because he could play.

Times change and team toughness is very different. We have plenty of guys who won't back down and can handle themselves with a few more feisty ones coming.

I dont think anyone looks to push the Senators around right now.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's to get him off the ice so that he doesn't go after someone else or it turns into the whole Panarin Tom Wilson incident where the team looks cowardly for not responding or sticking up for teammates. We don't have to like it, but it is a fact around hockey & always has been.

Where does this come from? What incident provoked the fight? They dropped the gloves right off a faceoff. For all we know Sabourin started it.

Again we move from a fight out of the blue to the Panarin incident?

Get him off the ice for 5 minutes and that takes care of everything? Lucic didn't go after anyone else because it was a mild game and there was no reason to do it. If our players are afraid of Lucic body checking them they shouldn't be on the team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No to the Sabourins and Josh Browns types

The type of player I really wish we had in the lineup is a prime Zack Smith

Decent secondary offense, pretty good shot, tough as nails, good on faceoffs, good defensively, good advanced stats and possession numbers for a defensive role, could fight and hit pretty hard. The complete bottom-6 player, a guy who wasn't appreciated much because back then, good bottom-6 players were less recognized but I find it is coming as a guy like Nick Paul is more appreciated today

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who pissed in your Cornflakes?

Why dont you tone down your attitude, "bud"? Internet tough guys and bullying aren't cool.

You are making huge assumptions and there is no debating it. This long story of what would have happened if that fight didn't take place is just your imagination.

For arguments sake let's say Lucic wanted to take penalty-less liberties with our team. You are telling me that him beating up Sabourin replaces that? He zest for blood was satiated?

I like fighting as much as anyone and understand it's place in the game very well both from personal experience and from being an avid fan and that fight just didn't make sense from the Senators side.

Eh, when you term another persons opinions as “wild assumptions” and now “my imagination” you should be prepared to accept some attitude in return, bud, rather than pretending to a victim. It’s distasteful.

I feel comfortable that you are wrong, and that you won’t be able to understand what you don’t understand.

I think we’re done here on this subject, you and I.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think anyone looks weak if he has the balls to go with Lucic one of the toughness SOBs in the league. Sabo did his team a huge favour taking him off the ice IMO. Lucic isn't going to jump anyone but he could make it difficult on our best players if he decides to start hitting everyone & could put someone like Chabot, Norris or Brannstrom through the boards.

If Looch could put Chabot through the boards at will, why isn't he? It's in his, and his team's, interest to do that whether he kicked Sab's ass or not.

To me fighting should be heat of the moment.

FWIW Chris Neil would have turned Lucic down there. It's literally a no win situation.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Just a bit too slow in skating, decision making with the puck, and hands. His physicality is good, and occasionally puts it together enough to be serviceable.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
When we needed them they were great but a McGrattan on the team now would be a complete waste.

Would take a Neil any day because he could play.

Times change and team toughness is very different. We have plenty of guys who won't back down and can handle themselves with a few more feisty ones coming.

I dont think anyone looks to push the Senators around right now.

A bigger Neil would be great. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If Looch could put Chabot through the boards at will, why isn't he? It's in his, and his team's, interest to do that whether he kicked Sab's ass or not.

To me fighting should be heat of the moment.

FWIW Chris Neil would have turned Lucic down there. It's literally a no win situation.

I don't agree with fights that occur at the face-off unless there is a reason related to play prior to it. I don't think there was a reason at that point for this fight that I saw. Sanford is a willing participant but lacks the fighting capability that other policeman such as Carkner and McGrattan had.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No to the Sabourins and Josh Browns types

The type of player I really wish we had in the lineup is a prime Zack Smith

Decent secondary offense, pretty good shot, tough as nails, good on faceoffs, good defensively, good advanced stats and possession numbers for a defensive role, could fight and hit pretty hard. The complete bottom-6 player, a guy who wasn't appreciated much because back then, good bottom-6 players were less recognized but I find it is coming as a guy like Nick Paul is more appreciated today

I liked the early Zack Smith too. He was not a top end fighter or enforcer, which is what I prefer to have on the 4th line.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This future young team could use a Zack Kassian or Lawson Crouse kind of player on their 4th line, I wonder what they would cost?

Reactions: Bileur and Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Those guys don’t really exist anymore. There are maybe 2 or 3 guys in the league that can play that role.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
this guy is the worst 'full time' NHL dman I can remember watching. He's just so so so so bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He wasn’t that bad outside the goal. He was actually alright. For the second game in a row.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
this guy is the worst 'full time' NHLer I can remember watching. He's just so so so so bad.

He's close but no, he isn't quite there yet. I have no clue why we keep throwing him out there though. Awful.

And today was actually one of his better games.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad