Prospect Info: Josh Brook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
if you remove Kotkaniemi from the "prospect" list then yeah.

i would say Suzuki and him are on par, i have been a fan of suzuki since his draft eligible year but it's tough to say how well his game will translate, not saying it won't at all but i'd say their game breaking abilities ceilling are quite similar for their respective position, but if i had to gamble on either strictly for who has the highest chances to hit that ceilling, i'd go with brook. I feel like he already plays a "PRO" game minus the mature physique! hopefully both hit their potential it would be huge!

It’s too bad Ikonen will miss the Juniors and Kotkeniemi is with the big club (tournament wise). With Brook and the others, Montreal could end up with 7 guys at the tournament! They could’ve had 9! That’s insane.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's not act like we're real deep on the right side anyway. Petry and Weber are both over 30, who knows for how long they'll be playing in Montréal. So after that, we have Juulsen... and that's it. Mete/Romanov on the leftside and Brook/Juulsen on the rightside is the bare minimum going forward. We need more talent on the blueline on each side.

I disagree. Weber and Petry are not old. Weber is around for at least another 4 or 5 years. Petry for 3 more years. Then add Juulsen, Brook, Fleury and that's 5 guys where you really only need 2 really good ones in your top 4D on the right side.

RD is a position of strength both on our current roster and in our prospect pool. LD is a huge hole all around. Mete and Reilly are similar players who skate very well but are not strong in their own end. Then in our prospect pool it's Romanov and Harris.

If I'm targeting certain assets, it's two areas...

1) Goal scoring wingers
2) LD shutdown guy like Juulsen (maybe Romanov fits but it's early)
3) LD PMD but not a liability in our own end.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It's not fair to compare prospects to jordie benn
Hahahaha man, got me. That's so...f***ing good man. Well done.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's the best Habs prospect?

I've had him as our #2 since my year end ranking last season. It's hard to rank him over Suzuki who has 106 goals in his last 154 games. (a .69 goals per game) So he should easily have back to back to back 40+ goal seasons and could end up as the all time leading scorer in Owen Sound's history.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would say that it's quite obvious right now that Suzuki and Brook are our best prospects. I don't know if i'd put one higher then the other for now, but both should be contributing at the NHL level in the next year or two. I would start them both in the AHL next year unless one or both of them absolutely blow the doors off the NHL preseason...Still, I think them dominating in the AHL first would be great for the confidence and experience. We probably won't be competing next year anyways.
My man Ryan P producing at more than a PPG clip in the NHCH right now. Don't sleep on him. That top three is strong, strong, strong. I'd have Suzuki/Poehling as a toss up and Brook as number one.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
My man Ryan P producing at more than a PPG clip in the NHCH right now. Don't sleep on him. That top three is strong, strong, strong. I'd have Suzuki/Poehling as a toss up and Brook as number one.

I love Poehling too, but I think he has less upside then the other two. Suzuki has the potential to be a top line forward and Brook a top pairing defenceman. I see Poehling as a very important player in the future, but probably a 3C (or 2C if things continue to progress well for him). Can't wait to see him at the WJC against players his age.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Brook is probably my favorite Habs prospect at the moment. I don't know if it's because we lack someone with his skillset right now on the back-end and in the pipeline, but some of the goals he's scoring and the pace he's performing has me really excited for his future.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Brook is probably my favorite Habs prospect at the moment. I don't know if it's because we lack someone with his skillset right now on the back-end and in the pipeline, but some of the goals he's scoring and the pace he's performing has me really excited for his future.

Poehling has question marks surrounding his offensive upside, Suzuki surrounding his skating. Brook is a supreme skater and his offensive production has been astronomical. That may be why.

I'm still going to wait until all three of these players play at the AHL or NHL level before having any kind of feeling about my projections for them at the NHL level.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling has question marks surrounding his offensive upside, Suzuki surrounding his skating. Brook is a supreme skater and his offensive production has been astronomical. That may be why.

I'm still going to wait until all three of these players play at the AHL or NHL level before having any kind of feeling about my projections for them at the NHL level.

Suzuki it's more speed then skating, he's not slow but he could stand to get quicker. Poehling's a guy that just screams NHLer, he does all the little things right, is hard working, fast, skilled, has the frame, strength skating. I would be very surprised if he's not at worst a solid 4th liner baring a Chipchura like injury. Brook there's just so much to like he really doesn't have a lot of holes to his game, just needs to add mass/strength for the most part, really can't wait to see how he does in the NHL.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Brook is the real deal imo. I'm not completely sold on RP's upside. I'm sorry but I just don't see it. To me its 1a brook, 1b suzuki and a distant 3rd for Poehling.

Timmins has drafted an elite player outside the 1st round since Subban. Would be incredible if Brook became one - to state the obvious. Drafting such a player outside the 1st round happens very rarely. Looking forward to seeing what he will become.

Reactions: Acadien86

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Montreal couldn't ask for better timing to see a dman take another step. A top pair potential dman is still a need, but at least they have one now with that upside.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Timmins has drafted an elite player outside the 1st round since Subban. Would be incredible if Brook became one - to state the obvious. Drafting such a player outside the 1st round happens very rarely. Looking forward to seeing what he will become.
He hasn't drafted any elite players since Subban. Ten years.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I really hope that trend breaks with Brook. I'm getting sick and tired of getting excited about prospects and they end up busting.
That's your first mistake, getting excited about the Habs at all lol. The last time I was genuinely excited about the Habs was the 2010 playoff run. Ouf.

I guess we'll see how "future core players" Brook and Poehling look in a few weeks...

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
Suzuki it's more speed then skating, he's not slow but he could stand to get quicker. Poehling's a guy that just screams NHLer, he does all the little things right, is hard working, fast, skilled, has the frame, strength skating. I would be very surprised if he's not at worst a solid 4th liner baring a Chipchura like injury. Brook there's just so much to like he really doesn't have a lot of holes to his game, just needs to add mass/strength for the most part, really can't wait to see how he does in the NHL.

Oh fantastic we get look forward to a 4th liner blue chip. Lol please he is set to be on the top two.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He hasn't drafted any elite players since Subban. Ten years.

Sergachev and kk have a shot. Too early to jump to such a conclusion.

But yes, from all those years we were picking late first round, no elite player. Getting a top 4 dman or top 6 or even 9 forward in the late first round is hard enough. Getting an elite player is almost as rare as getting one in the 2nd round. People need a reality check.

How many elite players have been drafted outside the lottery since 2007?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
It’s too bad Ikonen will miss the Juniors and Kotkeniemi is with the big club (tournament wise). With Brook and the others, Montreal could end up with 7 guys at the tournament! They could’ve had 9! That’s insane.
A lot but not unusual. Philly had 9 two years ago.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Catching The Torch: Josh Brook becoming a better puck-mover for Moose Jaw

This article sais that Brook has been playing the left side next to Woo for a bit, good news for the habs if he can play LD effectivly

I wouldn’t read into that. Junior teams tend to play their best players out of position to stack the lineup.

It’s like everyone thinking Galchenyuk and Yakupov had magical chemistry. No, they were just really good CHL players put on the same line, nothing magical about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad