Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Tell bailey to bring his game up to "noticeable" and we wont have any issue.

Hey, look... a whole thread for you! Aren't you special? Now you can come in here and release your obsession and post useless post after useless post that doesn't say anything of any detail or value except an overly exaggerated argument (that someone who will end up with 1000+ NHL games isn't good at hockey) that is so outlandish it's like arguing with a petulant child. Our oldest child on this board. Congrats.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Hey, look... a whole thread for you! Aren't you special? Now you can come in here and release your obsession and post useless post after useless post that doesn't say anything of any detail or value except an overly exaggerated argument (that someone who will end up with 1000+ NHL games isn't good at hockey) that is so outlandish it's like arguing with a petulant child. Our oldest child on this board. Congrats.
Yep. Pretty much sums it up.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Bailey was good 1st 20 games and bad last 20. Lots of giveaways and not finishing up some great chances. Hope he gets hot again.

Maybe it's just me, but I think there's something wrong when you still can't expect consistency from a player in his TWELFTH season.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

My arguments are so outlandish that many people feel the same way. (this thread has been around for quite awhile, btw)

The guy is an unmotivated, passsionless 3rd liner, who only got top minutes b/c the rest of the roster was so bad. No way you are going to tell me that a top 6 fwd in this league can't pot 20 goals. Bailey has NEVER. He has assists, of course -- playing on the PP and playing with Tavares will do that.

Now that the Isles are a better team, (and JT is gone ) you see Bailey dropping to the third line -- where he belongs -- where his play and miserable decisions on the ice are even more noticeable. He can just dump the puck in, circle the perimeter, generate little, check nobody, doesnt hit, doesn't cycle. He doesn't have legit talent with him to bail him out. That's how he racks up all these games played. Easy to stay in the lineup when you are healthy due to almost zero contact with the opposition.

The only thing he has going for him -- is that he seems to up his game in the playoffs -- his #'s then are much better.

Perhaps YOU can answer this question because nobody here has been able to.

When Bailey is out of the lineup, what exactly do we lose? What is the gap which must be filled?

Cuz other than the amount of minutes he plays, there isn't much to be replaced.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My arguments are so outlandish that many people feel the same way. (this thread has been around for quite awhile, btw)

The guy is an unmotivated, passsionless 3rd liner, who only got top minutes b/c the rest of the roster was so bad. No way you are going to tell me that a top 6 fwd in this league can't pot 20 goals. Bailey has NEVER. He has assists, of course -- playing on the PP and playing with Tavares will do that.

Now that the Isles are a better team, (and JT is gone ) you see Bailey dropping to the third line -- where he belongs -- where his play and miserable decisions on the ice are even more noticeable. He can just dump the puck in, circle the perimeter, generate little, check nobody, doesnt hit, doesn't cycle. He doesn't have legit talent with him to bail him out. That's how he racks up all these games played. Easy to stay in the lineup when you are healthy due to almost zero contact with the opposition.

The only thing he has going for him -- is that he seems to up his game in the playoffs -- his #'s then are much better.

You continue to call him a third liner because you have no realistic concept of what a top six player actually is. 20 goals isn't the barrier to enter into the top six. He produced just fine last season without Tavares, and every player on the PP benefits from being on it. Frans Nielsen's production wouldn't have been what it was without the additional PP time, and he would've produced at a similar rate to Bailey back then. Bailey is actually good at cycling the puck, Barzal doesn't cycle the puck, and that's part of the problem with Barzal being paired with Bailey and Lee. Did you notice how much better Lee was once he got off the top line? It's not because he's not a first line winger, it's because Barzal doesn't play the same way. The same is true for Bailey.

How exactly would you like him to produce points while playing with Dal Colle on the third line? Barzal wouldn't get points with him as a winger and he's been an anchor all season. Bailey isn't a superstar, he's a complimentary top six forward who can play in all situations. He's not going to drive a line, the same way Lee isn't going to drive a line on a consistent basis, or Eberle. Are they not top six forwards? Oh right, they scored 20 goals in their careers...yay.

Do you actually look at other teams' top six? It doesn't seem like you do and you have this imaginary vision of what a top six player is.

When Bailey is out of the lineup, what exactly do we lose? What is the gap which must be filled?

It's been answered a million times, you just don't like the answers.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You continue to call him a third liner because you have no realistic concept of what a top six player actually is. 20 goals isn't the barrier to enter into the top six. He produced just fine last season without Tavares, and every player on the PP benefits from being on it. Frans Nielsen's production wouldn't have been what it was without the additional PP time, and he would've produced at a similar rate to Bailey back then. Bailey is actually good at cycling the puck, Barzal doesn't cycle the puck, and that's part of the problem with Barzal being paired with Bailey and Lee. Did you notice how much better Lee was once he got off the top line? It's not because he's not a first line winger, it's because Barzal doesn't play the same way. The same is true for Bailey.

How exactly would you like him to produce points while playing with Dal Colle on the third line? Barzal wouldn't get points with him as a winger and he's been an anchor all season. Bailey isn't a superstar, he's a complimentary top six forward who can play in all situations. He's not going to drive a line, the same way Lee isn't going to drive a line on a consistent basis, or Eberle. Are they not top six forwards? Oh right, they scored 20 goals in their careers...yay.

Do you actually look at other teams' top six? It doesn't seem like you do and you have this imaginary vision of what a top six player is.

I call him a third liner, because after watching him play, and comparing him to other top 6 on other teams, that is where he lands. If you have zero strengths, you can't be top six. "Being a "complimentary player" isn't a compliment -- its kinda like getting "puts forth genuine effort" on a report card -- it means you try, but you suck. Bailey has nothing in his bag of tricks other than he can put a puck in an empty net if available. You just said that Bailey is good at cycling the puck? You cant be serious. When does he even hold the puck long enough to do that? I cant remember a time... perhaps back in 11 on a road trip out west.

You've hit the nail right on the head -- when you asked "How exactly would you like him to produce points while playing with Dal Colle on the third line?" He won't. Exactly.. Dal Colle needs someone who can help -- and it definitely isnt good ole #12 -- its the kiss of death. Lee and Eberle? How DARE you bring up players who actually have a role, have strengths and drive this team -- Eberle has speed and good hands and is an asset most of the time. Lee, -- while without a doubt is struggling -- is our Captain, and will find his game. He has proven his role. He def has weaknesses tho.

Its funny -- Joshua does have his decent games -- it can happen -- and right now he is in the depths of a bad one - -which is why all these comments are being made. WHen he is playing "well" he's doing ok.. when he is off his game, he is a total nightmare and people have this ridiculous need to fight for him. Not sure why -- he is the typical hockey player nowadays -- skating around, collecting a paycheck. What a shame. Gimme two Zeekers and Josh would never lace up a pair of skates again.

It's been answered a million times, you just don't like the answers.
Try me.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I call him a third liner, because after watching him play, and comparing him to other top 6 on other teams, that is where he lands.

Nah, you didn't compare him to other top 6 players because then you'd see a list like this:

Danton Heinen, Michael Frolik, Warren Foegele, Josh Anderson, Gustav Nyquist, Robby Fabbri, Brett Connolly, Artturi Lehkonen, Brendan Gallagher, Blake Coleman, Miles Wood, Jesper Bratt, Chris Kreider, Pavel Buchenevich, Ryan Strome, Tomas Tatar, Connor Brown, Vladislav Namestnikov, Colin White, Travis Konecny, Dominik Kahun, Yanni Gourde, Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat, Nick Ritchie, Rickard Rakell, Ondrej Kase, Tobias Rieder, Dominik Kubalik, Alex Nylander, Joonas Donskoi, JT Compher, Tyson Jost, Jujhar Khaira, Alex Chiasson, Josh Archibald, Adrian Kempe, Tyler Toffoli, Ale Iafallo, Kevin Fiala, Jason Zucker, Rocco Grimaldi, Kevin Labanc, Zach Sanford, Tanner Pearson, Josh Leivo, Jack Roslovic...

That's 45+ players that suit up in the top 6 around the NHL that Bailey pretty easily better than or at worst on par with.

If you have zero strengths, you can't be top six. "Being a "complimentary player" isn't a compliment -- its kinda like getting "puts forth genuine effort" on a report card -- it means you try, but you suck. Bailey has nothing in his bag of tricks other than he can put a puck in an empty net if available. You just said that Bailey is good at cycling the puck? You cant be serious. When does he even hold the puck long enough to do that? I cant remember a time... perhaps back in 11 on a road trip out west.

Bailey excelled with Lee because they both cycle the puck. You don't need to hold the puck for very long to cycle, which makes me think you don't know what it is. A complimentary player is exactly what most of our roster is. Nobody but Barzal can create much of anything on their own, they rely on other people to fill in for areas they aren't strong. That's most of the NHL.

You've hit the nail right on the head -- when you asked "How exactly would you like him to produce points while playing with Dal Colle on the third line?" He won't. Exactly.. Dal Colle needs someone who can help -- and it definitely isnt good ole #12 -- its the kiss of death. Lee and Eberle? How DARE you bring up players who actually have a role, have strengths and drive this team -- Eberle has speed and good hands and is an asset most of the time. Lee, -- while without a doubt is struggling -- is our Captain, and will find his game. He has proven his role. He def has weaknesses tho.

What's Eberle's role again? He had 37 points last season. For someone who cares about filling the back of the net as much as you do, I'm shocked you're not ripping Eberle for only having half as many goals as the miserable Josh Bailey. A goal scorer who isn't scoring, can't play any other position, isn't sound defensively, and can't play on the PK. Wowy zowy, he sure is great. Eberle isn't fast either, he's slick and has good hands. Lee is a goal scorer who isn't good defensively and can't PK or play another position. He also can't create offense on his own. They need a player like Bailey, just like Bailey needs players like them.

Its funny -- Joshua does have his decent games -- it can happen -- and right now he is in the depths of a bad one - -which is why all these comments are being made. WHen he is playing "well" he's doing ok.. when he is off his game, he is a total nightmare and people have this ridiculous need to fight for him. Not sure why -- he is the typical hockey player nowadays -- skating around, collecting a paycheck. What a shame. Gimme two Zeekers and Josh would never lace up a pair of skates again.

You just like guys that look like they're doing something. That's okay, you're allowed to be a surface level spectator. Next time we're at the bar you'll probably be yelling "shoooooot" while the Isles are on the PP. :laugh::sarcasm:

Re-read the thread. I've answered this directly and you just imagine it all away.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Josh Bailey is hockey’s version of Kevin McReynolds.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I call him a third liner, because after watching him play, and comparing him to other top 6 on other teams, that is where he lands.

Oh really? Please share with us this list of "other top 6 players" that are better and this list of teams where Bailey would be a 3rd liner.

Your awful, ignorant posts on Bailey are as bad are your awful, ignorant posts on music.

You're either doing this because you're starved for attention and are looking for a reaction, or you truly believe this nonsense . I honestly don't know which is worse but you need to stop embarrassing yourself.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Can we just close this thread for everyone except bones so he can have his own little private playground to bash bailey? If bones bashes bailey in the woods (now that doesn't sound right) and no one is there, does it make a sound? There might even be a supply of "wild mushrooms" and assorted herbs to keep him happy.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Nah, you didn't compare him to other top 6 players because then you'd see a list like this:

Danton Heinen, Michael Frolik, Warren Foegele, Josh Anderson, Gustav Nyquist, Robby Fabbri, Brett Connolly, Artturi Lehkonen, Brendan Gallagher, Blake Coleman, Miles Wood, Jesper Bratt, Chris Kreider, Pavel Buchenevich, Ryan Strome, Tomas Tatar, Connor Brown, Vladislav Namestnikov, Colin White, Travis Konecny, Dominik Kahun, Yanni Gourde, Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat, Nick Ritchie, Josh "lazy as fvck" Bailey, Rickard Rakell, Ondrej Kase, Tobias Rieder, Dominik Kubalik, Alex Nylander, Joonas Donskoi, JT Compher, Tyson Jost, Jujhar Khaira, Alex Chiasson, Josh Archibald, Adrian Kempe, Tyler Toffoli, Ale Iafallo, Kevin Fiala, Jason Zucker, Rocco Grimaldi, Kevin Labanc, Zach Sanford, Tanner Pearson, Josh Leivo, Jack Roslovic...

That's 45+ players that suit up in the top 6 around the NHL that Bailey pretty easily better than or at worst on par with.

Like I said, the league is filled with crappy players, Bailey is just one of them. I don't care about those other guys -- they are mostly no-names and never-will-bes -- and they're not on the Isles, so I couldn't care less. What did you google to find those hacks?

Bailey excelled with Lee because they both cycle the puck. You don't need to hold the puck for very long to cycle, which makes me think you don't know what it is. A complimentary player is exactly what most of our roster is. Nobody but Barzal can create much of anything on their own, they rely on other people to fill in for areas they aren't strong. That's most of the NHL.

I'm good on hockey knowledge thanks. Actually -- I guess you missed my sarcasm, as my point was that bailey barely touches the puck long enough to shoot or dump it in. I guess you are ok with the most of the players (G included) in this league being crap? I'm not.. that's another thread tho. We can save that for the All Star break.. :)

What's Eberle's role again? He had 37 points last season. For someone who cares about filling the back of the net as much as you do, I'm shocked you're not ripping Eberle for only having half as many goals as the miserable Josh Bailey. A goal scorer who isn't scoring, can't play any other position, isn't sound defensively, and can't play on the PK. Wowy zowy, he sure is great. Eberle isn't fast either, he's slick and has good hands. Lee is a goal scorer who isn't good defensively and can't PK or play another position. He also can't create offense on his own. They need a player like Bailey, just like Bailey needs players like them.

I can't recall a post where I'm on Eberle's jock the way you are on Baileys'. Eberle was hurt this year, right? Takes a while to get his timing back -- correct? Do yourself a favor and don't look up Eberle's career stats -- you may shed a tear if you are comparing them to Baileys -- its not going to work out well for you. One other thing you fail to mention, is that Eberle can actually finish a play. Yup.. that's right. Something new and different for you people watching Bailey with your pants at your ankles -- he can score. Once Ebs goes back to his regular form, perhaps he'll be more productive. He has a bunch of seasons under his belt showing he can score. Poor Bailey stats? not that impressive -- unless you look at Games Played. YEEE HAAAWWWWWWWW

You just like guys that look like they're doing something. That's okay, you're allowed to be a surface level spectator. Next time we're at the bar you'll probably be yelling "shoooooot" while the Isles are on the PP. :laugh::sarcasm:
Watch #12 next game. Every shift. Let me know when he does something other than skate around, pass and dump the puck in. Impressive updates would be hitting, hustling, scoring, checking, ya know -- any of those important aspects of the game. Or maybe you're ok with him just circling like a 737? Fine by me. Guess you're running out of reasons why Bailey should be on the top line. I understand. Should he play like a top forward, I'll let you know.

Re-read the thread. I've answered this directly and you just imagine it all away.
C and P. I'd vomit all over my keyboard if I had to read multiple pages of this turd.

Rb8k5oEiyJrp5LK7e648pBz3RHGdCiBqtF1uCVAUmNQ.jpg

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
My son has a Topps hockey sticker album. Each team page has a bunch of the players plus three special stickers, in foil. These are reserved for the top three stars on the team. The Islanders' page has Barzal, Lee and Bailey in the special foil category. Just sayin...

:)

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Like I said, the league is filled with crappy players, Bailey is just one of them. I don't care about those other guys -- they are mostly no-names and never-will-bes -- and they're not on the Isles, so I couldn't care less. What did you google to find those hacks?

I'm good on hockey knowledge thanks. Actually -- I guess you missed my sarcasm, as my point was that bailey barely touches the puck long enough to shoot or dump it in. I guess you are ok with the most of the players (G included) in this league being crap? I'm not.. that's another thread tho. We can save that for the All Star break.. :)

I can't recall a post where I'm on Eberle's jock the way you are on Baileys'. Eberle was hurt this year, right? Takes a while to get his timing back -- correct? Do yourself a favor and don't look up Eberle's career stats -- you may shed a tear if you are comparing them to Baileys -- its not going to work out well for you. One other thing you fail to mention, is that Eberle can actually finish a play. Yup.. that's right. Something new and different for you people watching Bailey with your pants at your ankles -- he can score. Once Ebs goes back to his regular form, perhaps he'll be more productive. He has a bunch of seasons under his belt showing he can score. Poor Bailey stats? not that impressive -- unless you look at Games Played. YEEE HAAAWWWWWWWW

Watch #12 next game. Every shift. Let me know when he does something other than skate around, pass and dump the puck in. Impressive updates would be hitting, hustling, scoring, checking, ya know -- any of those important aspects of the game. Or maybe you're ok with him just circling like a 737? Fine by me. Guess you're running out of reasons why Bailey should be on the top line. I understand. Should he play like a top forward, I'll let you know.

C and P. I'd vomit all over my keyboard if I had to read multiple pages of this turd.

Rb8k5oEiyJrp5LK7e648pBz3RHGdCiBqtF1uCVAUmNQ.jpg

You probably know a thing or two about wrestling with pigs.

Reactions: Lame Lambert

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

There's a thread on the trade boards with the top 6 from every team. I looked at it and made the list, because those guys are all top 6 players in the NHL. That goes back to my main point that you don't actually know what a top 6 player is and you're using your own definition of what you think one should be. So once again, you're objectively wrong.

Actually, this is more interesting to me because it gets to the heart of your perception (I'm not sure who you mean by G included, I might be having a brain fart though). You dislike the state of the league as whole and think there are too many bad players?

I can't recall a post where I'm on Eberle's jock the way you are on Baileys'. Eberle was hurt this year, right? Takes a while to get his timing back -- correct? Do yourself a favor and don't look up Eberle's career stats -- you may shed a tear if you are comparing them to Baileys -- its not going to work out well for you.

Bailey has 206 points and Eberle has 165 starting at the 2016-17 season. Weird. Eberle wasn't hurt last season, which is when he posted 37 points For My New York Islanders. In fact, Bailey has outscored Eberle in both seasons he's been on the island. Why would I care about anything else? :thumbu:

One other thing you fail to mention, is that Eberle can actually finish a play. Yup.. that's right. Something new and different for you people watching Bailey with your pants at your ankles -- he can score. Once Ebs goes back to his regular form, perhaps he'll be more productive. He has a bunch of seasons under his belt showing he can score. Poor Bailey stats? not that impressive -- unless you look at Games Played. YEEE HAAAWWWWWWWW

I actually agree that Eberle can finish, which I wish he'd do more instead of looking to pass like he is too often right now.

I don't think Bailey should be on the top line, I think he should be on the right one with the right players because he's useful. Lee shouldn't be on the top line because he's more useful on the second. Eberle shouldn't be on the third or fourth line because he's more useful in the top six. Bailey can play in the top six until we get more skill to push him down, we're not there yet. The only reason he's been dropped to the third line is because there's a black hole at center there. Notice how he isn't playing wing when he's dropped? Why is that? Because it's not the wing position that is an issue.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Whatever you say. I choose not to get into a Bailey conversation with you.

I just posted to point out that you are a child.

There's a difference between someone saying "Tom Brady is the best quarterback ever" and someone saying "Tom Brady isn't in the top 50 quarterbacks ever". The former has merit for a debate, the latter is so asinine that it reminds me of talking to my 5 year old niece.

Obviously we can't even have a real thread about this dude to actually talk about his game and why he's slumping because you'll just derail it. At least my niece lets us have adult conversations when she's done whining.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Josh Bailey is hockey’s version of Kevin McReynolds.
McReynolds was a certified, class A mean SOB (from what I understand anyway). Bailey seems like a nice guy. Too nice, really. He could use a mean streak. The next time he throws a hit of any significance will be his first.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Whatever you say. I choose not to get into a Bailey conversation with you.

I just posted to point out that you are a child.

There's a difference between someone saying "Tom Brady is the best quarterback ever" and someone saying "Tom Brady isn't in the top 50 quarterbacks ever". The former has merit for a debate, the latter is so asinine that it reminds me of talking to my 5 year old niece.

Obviously we can't even have a real thread about this dude to actually talk about his game and why he's slumping because you'll just derail it. At least my niece lets us have adult conversations when she's done whining.

You are free to block me, Princess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad