Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I find that people who call Bailey a third liner are still comparing his stats to players in the 80's and his contract to players 10 years ago.

He is a middle six player who is on the upper end of that middle six. Most nights he can play on the second line but depending on the team the Isles throw out he can slot in on the third line. Bailey can even slot in on the first line for some games and be fine.

That is what makes him valuable though. This is a guy who can be thrown in the lineup and you don't have to worry about. Call that whatever you want, but I call it valuable.

I'm comparing Bailey to a top six player on an NHL. Not sure who is comparing him to a guy from the 80s.

Perhaps everyone's complacency around this waste of skates is a result of being Isles fans for so long. You don't actually recognize when someone is skating in circles and bringing nothing to the game. I guess that can happen while watching the Isles for decade after decade. I should cut you poor souls some more slack.

And the argument of "hes so versatile he can play on any line" is embarrassing. Ya know why he keeps being moved around?

He relies on other forwards. He has nothing in his offensive bag of tricks to generate scoring. As his linemates go, he goes. If he actually had solid games with two linemates he would stay there. Trotz isnt breaking up a line which is producing, therefore..Bailey gets moved elsewhere...constantly.

Let's hope he breaks out of his fog, and has a good game tonight. Though, I'm not betting on it.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm comparing Bailey to a top six player on an NHL. Not sure who is comparing him to a guy from the 80s.

Perhaps everyone's complacency around this waste of skates is a result of being Isles fans for so long. You don't actually recognize when someone is skating in circles and bringing nothing to the game. I guess that can happen while watching the Isles for decade after decade. I should cut you poor souls some more slack.

And the argument of "hes so versatile he can play on any line" is embarrassing. Ya know why he keeps being moved around?

He relies on other forwards. He has nothing in his offensive bag of tricks to generate scoring. As his linemates go, he goes. If he actually had solid games with two linemates he would stay there. Trotz isnt breaking up a line which is producing, therefore..Bailey gets moved elsewhere...constantly.

Let's hope he breaks out of his fog, and has a good game tonight. Though, I'm not betting on it.

I think you underestimate the talent it takes to be able to fit in on any line or situation a player is thrown in. We commonly talk about why guys like Wahlstrom, JHS, and Brassard even cannot play in smaller roles. They are useless if they aren't being given offensive chances.

Bailey on the other hand can play in those smaller roles where defensive smarts are needed and he does just fine.

Anyway, how is Bailey not producing when he is the third leading point scorer on the team?

Reactions: JKP and PK Cronin

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I think you underestimate the talent it takes to be able to fit in on any line or situation a player is thrown in. We commonly talk about why guys like Wahlstrom, JHS, and Brassard even cannot play in smaller roles. They are useless if they aren't being given offensive chances.

Bailey on the other hand can play in those smaller roles where defensive smarts are needed and he does just fine.

Anyway, how is Bailey not producing when he is the third leading point scorer on the team?

His points most of the time are a result of other peoples work.

Additionally, as per that attachment I uploaded, he has what..1 point in the past 2 weeks...and -1?

All those games with high scoring , and a "top 6 guy" cant get some points?

Ffs people. Watch him play. Hes useless.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Additionally, as per that attachment I uploaded, he has what..1 point in the past 2 weeks...and -1?

Do you need a recommendation for an eye doctor?

Reactions: ekill08x

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I got a out halfway and had to give up. The writing was like reading the blog of a 15 year old edge lord, not to mention, it showed little understanding of hockey and used intentionally misleading stats. When you have to reach this hard to drag a player, it says a lot about how good they actually are.
Yeah, see, you're illustrating my point. Having to resort to cherry picking stats by looking at just five games, rather than his stats for the season as a whole, just shows how far you have to reach to make your case. And when you have to stretch that far to make someone look bad, they're probably pretty good.

Overall his offensive production is quite good and has been for several years. 5 games doesn't suddenly make him not a productive offensive forward.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Bailey is... interesting. he's got that Will Ferrell look, i just want to laugh at. lol.

SEE!!

he's got a boy scout/butler aura to him, but he's pretty good at the skills stuff. good smarts. good work ethic, but sometimes he just seems to... whiff? like a few games ago, when he went to pass the puck, and he got under it too much, and sort of flipped it straight up. lol.

SEE!!!

enigma? stone-faced cartoon character?? lolololololol IDK.

going to try and find a pic that describes him better, since he seems to be really good at defying description?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Lou and Trotz disagree.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I was a Bailey hater for years. I still don't think he's a 1st liner...but not even a 2nd liner? Come on.

Over the past 3 1/2 seasons the guy is 13th in scoring among RWers.

Oh and before you start with the "he's leaching off of his teammates" nonsense...he was also 1st in scoring among all Islanders over those seasons.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
If only snarky comments from the pro bailey crowd equaled solid plays.

Sooo close.

It is not a Bailey crowd, it is an Islander crowd. I am sure there are some who still don't like his play, but you are the only one that seems to despise him personally and consistently to an obsessive state. It was cute, even if misguided, for a few years but now you are at a point where I see you at troll status. You have disregarded facts and expert opinion (I am not an expert, just a season ticket holder who has watched every shift he is on the ice and appreciates that he does so many of the little things as well as being a good complimentary player when he has good line mates), so stop asking for proof, you received more than you deserve. At this point I am embarrassed for you, that you can't see what is obvious to anyone who understands the game. Why don't you use some of that negative energy for opposing players? There are players on my teams I have not liked due to their personal actions (Bobby Bonilla comes to mind) or their play (Brian Strait comes to mind) but I never obsessed over it, still rooted for the team… how the hell does a guy who by all accounts is a polite/unassuming/team guy.... who by every stat, comments by teammates, usage by coaches and most of your knowledgeable fellow Islander fans is at MINIMUM a decent hockey player get the venom you dish out. It is not rational. He is not a star, no one is saying he is... There are other guys who were drafted higher than him, some who are still in our organization, who don't come close to his production. A 9th pick overall is not a guaranteed star, there have been over 100 players drafter at or above his pick since and including the 2008 draft, look at the forwards taken around Bailey in that draft and tell me what stud forward could we have gotten instead of him (and we did get Eberle later, Cam Atkinson in the 6th round?). There were some really good D taken but 5 other teams passed on Karlsson , there were a lot more misses than hits in that draft.

And no. I don't own a Bailey jersey. The only Isles jersey I have ever worn is #19, but you would have probably thought he sucked as well.

Bones give it a rest.. Just root for the team or if you hate him so much, find another one until he retires .

That felt really good....

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Lol.. your best line... "as well as being a good complimentary player when he has good line mates)"

Exactly. You have hit the nail on the head. He is a decent hockey player when he has decent linemates. Been saying that all along.

He brings nothing to the game by himself. A third liner.

Glad to see we agree.

And if you watch him play and dont see how little he does...then I cant help you. Perhaps watch some videos of #19 and see if you can spot any differences in play. Lol

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Lol.. your best line... "as well as being a good complimentary player when he has good line mates)"

Exactly. You have hit the nail on the head. He is a decent hockey player when he has decent linemates. Been saying that all along.

He brings nothing to the game by himself. A third liner.

Glad to see we agree.

And if you watch him play and dont see how little he does...then I cant help you. Perhaps watch some videos of #19 and see if you can spot any differences in play. Lol

Yes complimentary as in a cerebral player who has good vision and can compliment highly skilled scorers to make them better, there is an intrinsic value in that. but I like how you add with a definitive "He brings nothing to the game by himself. A third liner".. that statement is so flawed.. Myself and others have given examples ad nauseum on what he adds to the first and second line. He is only a third liner on a very very talented team so at least I can agree that I hope it is necessitated that he needs to move to the 3rd line when we get a cup team. But to add nothing? Even you could name a number of third & fourth liners who add a lot more than nothing. Does Cizikas add nothing or is he one of the most valuable players on this team? At least I am realistic, you speak in extremes. I can't help you if you don't understand the game Bones. It is obvious that Trotz does not agree with you and his is the only opinion that really matters at this point. Just because you spew it doesn't make it true.. blinded by your hate.. the dark side?

#19 was a superstar.. There is nobody on this team that was the complete package he was, so nobody is comparing the two.. once in a lifetime player. I don't need to see the videos.. I saw it in person, and watched him his whole career. His play is still etched in my mind. The few years before Gretzky hit the NHL , Trottier was the best overall player in the league, period. Al Arbour (may he rest in peace) and I agree on that.

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Yes complimentary as in a cerebral player who has good vision and can compliment highly skilled scorers to make them better, there is an intrinsic value in that. but I like how you add with a definitive "He brings nothing to the game by himself. A third liner".. that statement is so flawed.. Myself and others have given examples ad nauseum on what he adds to the first and second line. He is only a third liner on a very very talented team so at least I can agree that I hope it is necessitated that he needs to move to the 3rd line when we get a cup team. But to add nothing? Even you could name a number of third & fourth liners who add a lot more than nothing. Does Cizikas add nothing or is he one of the most valuable players on this team?

Zeeker is one of my favs, and is almost an anti-Bailey. The guy has heart, passion, talent, skill, and I'd take him on my team ALL f***ING DAY. The guy busts his ass all night.

Bailey? Skates in f***ing circles most of the night, plays the perimeter, and avoids getting hit at all costs. Then? he hustles off the ice. WATCH HIM PLAY instead of just spouting off nonsense about how he was drafted or how he "can compliment players". He compliments nothing.

It is obvious that Trotz does not agree with you and his is the only opinion that really matters at this point.

Do you understand that Trotz has to find a home for this guy? It's his job to put together lines and a successful team based on the players he has. GM makes the deals, coaches coach.

He constantly moves him around -- first line to 2nd, down to third.. . WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS? Il'l give you some time to contemplate.

Is it because hes just so damn effective, that simply moving him to another line for a couple of games, helps out everyone? or...

Perhaps its because he needs to play with someone who can help him find some scoring -- and not even the mighty Barzal can help Bailey put numbers up. Give Bailey an empty net, perhaps he'll score -- assuming he doesnt shank the shot or pass instead.

You think coaches like shuffling lines around? You think Trotz WANTS to try and find a place where Bailey can be successful? No -- the answer is that he doesn't. His un-eviable job is to put that hack on a line where he can be successful. Trotz is stuck with Bailey in the lineup and currently is moving him around to see who can jump start him -- cuz novocaine Bailey has no heart and generates JACK SHIT by himself most of the time.

Bailey = PASSENGAH

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Zeeker is one of my favs, and is almost an anti-Bailey. The guy has heart, passion, talent, skill, and I'd take him on my team ALL ****ING DAY. The guy busts his ass all night.

Bailey? Skates in ****ing circles most of the night, plays the perimeter, and avoids getting hit at all costs. Then? he hustles off the ice. WATCH HIM PLAY instead of just spouting off nonsense about how he was drafted or how he "can compliment players". He compliments nothing.

Do you understand that Trotz has to find a home for this guy? It's his job to put together lines and a successful team based on the players he has. GM makes the deals, coaches coach.

He constantly moves him around -- first line to 2nd, down to third.. . WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS? Il'l give you some time to contemplate.

Is it because hes just so damn effective, that simply moving him to another line for a couple of games, helps out everyone? or...

Perhaps its because he needs to play with someone who can help him find some scoring -- and not even the mighty Barzal can help Bailey put numbers up. Give Bailey an empty net, perhaps he'll score -- assuming he doesnt shank the shot or pass instead.

You think coaches like shuffling lines around? You think Trotz WANTS to try and find a place where Bailey can be successful? No -- the answer is that he doesn't. His un-eviable job is to put that hack on a line where he can be successful. Trotz is stuck with Bailey in the lineup and currently is moving him around to see who can jump start him -- cuz novocaine Bailey has no heart and generates JACK **** by himself most of the time.

Bailey = PASSENGAH

facepalm.gif

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Let's not let the Josh Barely thread fall off the first page . He might just quietly disappear into page 2.
Last 10 games , 0-1-1 also 1 goal in the last 21 games . But but but he's so smart out there . Score a FN goal already . I don't want to hear how others are struggling too . This is a Bailey thread and he was a FN All-Star just like Heatley.

LGI

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Let's not let the Josh Barely thread fall off the first page . He might just quietly disappear into page 2.
Last 10 games , 0-1-1 also 1 goal in the last 21 games . But but but he's so smart out there . Score a FN goal already . I don't want to hear how others are struggling too . This is a Bailey thread and he was a FN All-Star just like Heatley.

LGI

What's his plus minus for the past 3 weeks? Gotta be -5 or worse.

What complete shit.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
And for the record... I'd love for him to be good... productive...show some passion...be a positive asset and a force on this team.

It can happen. Several weeks across his tenure, he was a man on a mission, playing fantastic...about 12% of the time....there's your #12.

88% of the time, hes on vacation

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
What's his plus minus for the past 3 weeks? Gotta be -5 or worse.

What complete ****.

From the you asked for it files

Last 12 games plus / minus
5 even games , 7 minus games , total of - 10. Has not been a plus since the Tampa win .

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I agree that something is up with Bailey and probably has to do with having a young toddler & wife may be due soon. Or could it be that he did not work out in the gym as hard last summer because at times he looks like he is lacking stamina already half way through the season. He is still skilled & can make good plays from time to time, but I do sense something is going on, either a nagging minor injury or just like I say not in shape or lacking rest/sleep. Could be be that he can't handle both PK duty and 5 on 5 ice time? Some players just can't handle that much ice time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree that something is up with Bailey and probably has to do with having a young toddler & wife may be due soon. Or could it be that he did not work out in the gym as hard last summer because at times he looks like he is lacking stamina already half way through the season. He is still skilled & can make good plays from time to time, but I do sense something is going on, either a nagging minor injury or just like I say not in shape or lacking rest/sleep. Could be be that he can't handle both PK duty and 5 on 5 ice time? Some players just can't handle that much ice time.

He was just playing as the third line center for the past few weeks until being bumped up to the first line again. That's it. It happens every time he gets dropped down the lineup like that, as he's playing a different role and with players like Dal Colle.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Bailey was good 1st 20 games and bad last 20. Lots of giveaways and not finishing up some great chances. Hope he gets hot again.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I watched that Nico goal a few times on replay now as I was at the game and didn't have a good perspective. That was a very lazy and weak attempt by JB to swat the puck away. He's a good player and certainly a top sixer on this team but his head does seem to be in the clouds a bit lately.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You have a vendetta against bailey but to be fair he’s been really, really bad for about 20+ games now and your right... has brought LITERALLY nothing to the table for those 20 games.

Barzal and beau look short handed every shift

Exactly.

Not my fault that some of you are so blind that you can't see someone who is complete garbage.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
If you want to debate Bailey, do it in his thread. Provide specifics and details that actually contribute to the discussion (same for any player). If you're going to just post the same thing over and over that's spamming and you'll receive warnings. I don't care what side of the debate you're on, have an honest discussion and we're all good. We try to give as much leeway as possible around here to our regular users but it seems we've been too lax.

Tell bailey to bring his game up to "noticeable" and we wont have any issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad