Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Interesting note, starting from three seasons ago Bailey's point total of 192 has him ranked as the 46th most productive forward in the entire NHL over that span. He's also the 13th most productive right winger and tied for 4th when comparing him to left wingers. Fascinating stuff.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are we really still arguing about Bailey?

I'm just posting facts man.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Lame Lambert

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Agreed -- hes a valuable third liner. Very rarely will a coach call out a player for sucking, so that argument is rubbish.

So what exactly do we lose should Bailey not be in the lineup? Funny -- didn't hear anyone answer.

Cuz if Im missing something fabulous that he consistently does, I'll be more than happy to admit it. (Hint: chip passes and clearing the zone aren't the goal here.)

Skate?
Shoot?
Playmake?
Hit?
Intimidate?

Fight?

nothing.

The reason you can't answer is because, well -- he has zero special talents and is just one piece of team -- and to pay him $5 mill a year is a joke.

Josh Bailey, King of the Irrelevants
Fighting? Intimidating? That’s what you think is worth $5m?

yawn.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He's good for 15+ goals and 40+ assists while being a very complete, defensively responsible forward. Barry Trotz (you know Jack Adams guy) agrees he's one of our most valuable players.

This schtick is beyond tiresome. These posts are vapid and you should be embarrassed for constantly beating this drum. It should have ended 4 years go. Give it a rest. Seriously, try watching the games sober for once. And stop living in the past. It's not 1993 anymore.

Everyone here knows Ross Johnston could replace Bailey's production while also spending 15 mins a night in the penalty box. Just stop with your rehashed "points are important" argument.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
The day he goes into the Isles HoF is the day I change my favorite team.

I call Bailey many things. Hard to concentrate on one description when so many others are better.

The italicized part -- you have described exactly his game. Defensive, chip passes.. blah blah blah -- lovely.. he is a third line nothing. He plays a system which stresses defensive -- that's good for him, cuz after all these years, he's finally learned something.

How about the rest of my diatribe? Where I so nicely illustrate that he excels at pretty much nothing -- and the best thing you can say about him is that he is solid defensively. Big ****ing deal. The way successful teams are made nowadays, that is the name of the game. Bossy and Trotts skills in a player arent even needed anymore. And I call him a floater -- and Ill also use another favorite word of mine to describe that bucket of ****.. perimeter player. That is actually a better one.

Does he mix it up in front? No -- That's Anders Lee. Look at Zeeker and Cal get dirty and playing their ass off. You can find Bailey somewhere alone, jerking off, waiting for the puck to be passed to him. If any player comes within 10', hes dishing it off.

Since nobody answered my question (mostly, because you can't)... What is it that we lose when he is out of the lineup? What is this abyss which we have should princess get a hangnail?

I'm waiting.

I'll give you a hint. Nothing. You lose nothing other than some other third liner who can fill minutes & play responsibly. As long as he doesn't put it in his own net.. Oh wait.. he did that last year in a super critical game, right?

****ING BAILEY!

I won't go back and redo it as it took me a long time but their record without Bailey was awful much worse than in it.. Will leave you to your delusions.. He is comfortably on pace to be top 5 in assists, points and games and top 10 in goals all time for the Islanders, so get ready to change your team on the day he becomes the 14th member of the Isles hall of fame (hopefully they fully reconcile with Tonelli so maybe 15th).

No one is saying he is a star but he is having a solid career. For someone who is not an offensive juggernaut he is also not the bust you and others labeled him as (and if you never did then I apologize but I am pretty sure you have).. as a 9th overall pick in 2008 he is 6th in that class in goals, assists and points. 800 plus games..

Bones there is plenty of room on the Bailey bandwagon.. you have to be tired from spending so much time on a losing effort .. we will welcome you when you give up the delusion.
Until then.. have at it, this board needs the comic relief and you are a good dude. We all have our flaws

Last edited:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I have never been a bailey fan as he’s soft but I can’t argue the fact that he’s a good player. The thing that drives me crazy about Bailey is his stupid descisions with the puck at times where I’m like WTF is he doing.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I have never been a bailey fan as he’s soft but I can’t argue the fact that he’s a good player. The thing that drives me crazy about Bailey is his stupid descisions with the puck at times where I’m like WTF is he doing.
I've often been critical of Bailey for being soft, but I'm talking mostly about soft passes & clearing attempts.

He's willing to take the body in an effective manner, and battles well enough. Not everyone is going to be a Cizikas/Martin/CBuck type.

Definitely above average in many attributes, but soft... sometimes.

He's one of our core, and I think that if we expect to take our run a bit further this year, he's going to have to be better.

Definitely looks more engaged this year, so hopefully his 'softness' loses some of it's edge... permanently.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Interesting note, starting from three seasons ago Bailey's point total of 192 has him ranked as the 46th most productive forward in the entire NHL over that span. He's also the 13th most productive right winger and tied for 4th when comparing him to left wingers. Fascinating stuff.

Remarkable considering he was thrown into a terrible situation after drafted. Should’ve been sent back to juniors for at least one more year, probably 2.

Lesser men would’ve folded and it would’ve been justified if he busted. Huge credit to him to never giving up.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I've often been critical of Bailey for being soft, but I'm talking mostly about soft passes & clearing attempts.

He's willing to take the body in an effective manner, and battles well enough. Not everyone is going to be a Cizikas/Martin/CBuck type.

Definitely above average in many attributes, but soft... sometimes.

He's one of our core, and I think that if we expect to take our run a bit further this year, he's going to have to be better.

Definitely looks more engaged this year, so hopefully his 'softness' loses some of it's edge... permanently.
He leads the team in points and has been terrific on the first line. Not fair to say he has to be better.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Do you guys ever really get the feeling that whomever pulls these stats scours this website? I bring up how many points Bailey has had over the last 3+ seasons on Wednesday and then on Friday everyone is bringing it up. If Hornick and the gang are going to steal my stats he could at least give me a credit. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Lek and Kevin27NYI

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
He leads the team in points and has been terrific on the first line. Not fair to say he has to be better.
My quip about being better, is in regard to the soft passes and clearing attempts. As far as all the other aspects of his game, he looks like he's heading for a career year, and I'm happy for him.

Means good things for us too!

Right Newsworthy? (echo.. eeechoo.....eeeeeeccccchhhhhooooooo.... )

:naughty:

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad