Player Discussion Josh Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I’m fed up with this anti-vax nonsense from Archibald. Your teammates have all gotten it, nothing has gone wrong. Every other player on a Canadian team has gotten it, nothing has gone wrong. What the hell is he afraid of?

Almost every argument/position on life’s various issues is defensible in some way, but this one is not. Choosing to believe conspiracy bullshit spouted by people with no credibility over medical professionals, while the hospitals are overloaded, really exposes which people in this world are beyond stupid.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I remember looking at his Twitter account during the Trump craziness. I think he's deleted a bunch of his tweets and retweets since then.
It's always fun to see what tweets accounts like. I remember Caleb Jones' mom liked a ton of Trump stuff and almost anti-immigrant posts. Probably still there lol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
you don't want him to explain his stance? why he's so afraid? I do

Nope. His excuse will just feed the anti vaxxers and free thinkers. Just shut up and leave.

Honestly after his dumb penalty and suspension in the playoffs which really hurt the team I’d have left him exposed in the XD and if he wasn’t picked I would have traded him in the off season. That wasn’t a team play, it was selfish, just like his decision not to get vaxxed, whatever his sorry excuse for it is.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
No matter how hard folks try to make every discussion into a binary right / wrong type of debate, the simple fact remains that there will always be gray areas.

Immediately defaulting to the idea that Josh is an ignorant, evil, selfish human being is the low hanging fruit of an otherwise nuanced discussion.

It's intellectually lazy, it's boring, and it's rife with self-congratulatory virtue.

I would be much more interested in hearing him explain why he is hesitant than listening to a bunch of regurgitated speculation on the internet.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No matter how hard folks try to make every discussion into a binary right / wrong type of debate, the simple fact remains that there will always be gray areas.

Immediately defaulting to the idea that Josh is an ignorant, evil, selfish human being is the low hanging fruit of an otherwise nuanced discussion.

It's intellectually lazy, it's boring, and it's rife with self-congratulatory virtue.

I would be much more interested in hearing him explain why he is hesitant than listening to a bunch of regurgitated speculation on the internet.
he's already been ostracized before giving his reasons for his hesitancy
such is the world we live in nowadays

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

There is no gray area in this topic. It’s about as black and white as it can get.

Reactions: McDraekke

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
That's unfortunate, but in a full league you are going to get a few folks who think like this. Thankfully the league has created a solid framework for dealing with it, and the team will do so appropriately. It would be a shame if politics ended up ruining this guy's career in the NHL, but he's of course free to make his own decisions.

Reactions: nabob

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Anyways.....we don't need ANOTHER thread derailed by a vax/anti-vax piss war.

Archibald will make his decision. The Oilers and the NHL will make theirs. Playing in the NHL is a privilege not a right, so if it costs him his career, that's ultimately his decision if he chooses not to abide by the terms of employment. There are plenty of other players out there to take his place.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I don't think it is a nuanced discussion at all. He ie perfectly within his rights to not get vaccinated. But the right move would be for this to mean he does not play with the team. He should recognize that.

I am fine with him expressing why he is hesitant. Though at this point it is highly unlikely that hesitant is the right word. This is a person of privilege. He has access to the best medical advice available. There is 0% chance that he has not been told that his risks are far greater for not taking the vaccine than they are from it, so there is no medical reason for him to not do so otherwise he would have an exemption. Beyond that his actions are a significant distraction for the team. If he had decided to forego the season because he recognized the imact his decision would have on others, then maybe you could attach some possible virtue to his decision.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't think it is a nuanced discussion at all. He ie prefectly within his rights to not get vaccinated. But the right move would be for this to mean he does not play with the team. He should recognize that.

I am fine with him expressing why he is hesitant. Though at this point it is highly unlikely that hesitant is the right word. This is a person of privilege. He has access to the best medical advice available. Theer is 0% chance that he has not been told that his risks are far greater for not taking teh vaccine than they are from it so there is no medical reason for hom to not do so otherwise he would have an exemption. Beyond that his actions are a significant distraction for the team. If he had decided to forego the season because he recognized the imact his decision would have on others, then maybe you could attach some possible virtue to his decision.
I like well thought out posts like this.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He can explain his decision till the cows come home. At the end of the day, he will not be playing here if he chooses not to get vaccinated. Unfortunate for him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
From a hockey point of view... Sceviour is as close to a decent/good replacement as possible. Plays very tough minutes (even more defensive zone starts than Archibald) and does better at evens while doing so as well. Sceviour isn't as good on the PK but the Oilers should have enough other PK options to cover for the loss of Archibald... especially if Sceviour is markedly better at evens.

I don't see the problem with Sceviour stepping in to replace Archibald in those 4th line minutes and I doubt he's missed if indeed he doesn't play for the Oilers this year.

Sceviour will be available for 82 games whereas Archibald will only be available for 50 or less games so that easily tips the balance in favour of Sceviour.

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad