Player Discussion Josh Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Can we change the title please??

I know I am tired, but it's the third time in two days I come on hfoil and think that he's been resigned for $1M...

We really should be just making new threads instead of bumping these old ones for player discussion.

Reactions: LaGu

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd still be very hesitant to give him and Sheahan much of a raise.

They're great on the PK and Archi's style makes him a fan favorite, but they're both still brutal at 5v5. Some of the lowest GF%/xGF%s in the league and pretty close to the worst players on the Oilers at allowing chances against.

I'd like to see both of them back, but with the salary structure on this team, they aren't the type of players you can overpay.

They were weighed down by Khaira especially in the first couple of months, he was dragging them down with awful turnovers and lack of energy. They were all major net negatives to start the season and I think it weighs down their overall stat line.

I think a lot of the stats before the New Year should be taken with a grain of salt because the team has been completely different in 2020 and Archibald and Sheahan are an important part of that in their role. Even by the eye test, they are spending a lot of time in the offensive zone creating havoc for the opposition. A lot better than they were earlier in the season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Can we change the title please??

I know I am tired, but it's the third time in two days I come on hfoil and think that he's been resigned for $1M...

Done, I was kind of wondering if we re-signed him as well. Hopefully soon.

Reactions: LaGu

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Our 2nd line is elite, love the 4th line, 1st line needs work. Our third line needs work.

Ideally you find a way to move Neal, if not...

New - McDavid - Neal/Kassian
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
New - New - Neal/Kassian
New - Sheahan - Archibald

That should be Holland's makeup for next year. Fill in the new guys with new guys or graduating prospects like Benson.

Either way, Archibald needs to stay.
Ideally you kee

Well

New - MCDavid N/K
RDY
Haas - New 3c - N/K
Nygård - Sheahan Archibald.
subs: P.Russell, Whoever like Cave.

Nygråd already signed. I think Haas is actually done here, but I would give him one more chance, he give signs of quality.
So its the ordinary. 3 C, and 1st LW.
MacLeod could be handled the 3c duty in two years, but for now until then, empty place.
Benson is NOT the 1st LW answer.
Maybe Lavoie in about two years.

So it means, dump Gagner, Chiasson, Khaira, maybe Cave. Good. We need to sort out guys that is just iced for filling out a roosterspot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, unless he chooses to get vaccinated soon it looks like he won't be on the team this season. If a guy with $4.418 million in career earnings basically might be burning a $1.5 million contract you know that he must be very strong in his beliefs.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I respect his willingness to put his money where his beliefs are, regardless of what those might be. In a world of rampant hypocrisy and pseudo online virtue, he is at least putting skin in the game.

His is a position that is encouraged socially to be attacked and pilloried. I think most attacks are based in fear. Not fear of a virus either. None of us can say with honesty that we understand the medium to long term implications of our own decisions regarding this vaccination. If you are a critical thinker you will have at least weighed the possibility that whatever choice you've made regarding it has the potential to be damaging in the long term. It's always a calculated risk and no matter how confident we might be in our own choice, it always carries the risk that someone else is right and we are wrong. Nobody likes to be wrong when it comes to personal health decisions. That's why this topic tends to generate such a passionate reaction from us.

I don't think he's right. I think that I'm right in my decision to be vaccinated. I sure can't say that with 100% confidence though, and neither can anybody else.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I respect his willingness to put his money where his beliefs are, regardless of what those might be. In a world of rampant hypocrisy and pseudo online virtue, he is at least putting skin in the game.

His is a position that is encouraged socially to be attacked and pilloried. I think most attacks are based in fear. Not fear of a virus either. None of us can say with honesty that we understand the medium to long term implications of our own decisions regarding this vaccination. If you are a critical thinker you will have at least weighed the possibility that whatever choice you've made regarding it has the potential to be damaging in the long term. It's always a calculated risk and no matter how confident we might be in our own choice, it always carries the risk that someone else is right and we are wrong. Nobody likes to be wrong when it comes to personal health decisions. That's why this topic tends to generate such a passionate reaction from us.

I don't think he's right. I think that I'm right in my decision to be vaccinated. I sure can't say that with 100% confidence though, and neither can anybody else.

He also believes the vaccine is part of an international plot to create a new world order so there’s that.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
He also believes the vaccine is part of an international plot to create a new world order so there’s that.
And? Even if I heard those words from his mouth, I would still make time for crazy ideas and the people who are willing to swim against the current. I have no desire to force anybody else to think like me. I'm not nearly confident enough in my own judgement to pretend that everybody else should share it.

Ser Pudman

Nov 25, 2013
And? Even if I heard those words from his mouth, I would still make time for crazy ideas and the people who are willing to swim against the current. I have no desire to force anybody else to think like me. I'm not nearly confident enough in my own judgement to pretend that everybody else should share it.
Are you not confident in the overwhelming majority of the world's scientific and medical community? Do you still make time for flat earthers and other demonstrably false beliefs?

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Are you not confident in the overwhelming majority of the world's scientific and medical community? Do you still make time for flat earthers and other demonstrably false beliefs?
I'm vaccinated. I thought I'd made that clear?

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010

The vaccine generates a passionate reaction because it has been politicized, nothing more. Everything in life is a risk-benefit calculation and this is no different: risk of short/long-term effects of COVID vs. risk of adverse effects from the vaccine. Scientists are extremely confident that there won't be any long-term effects from an mRNA vaccine... biologically they don't see any mechanism for that happening. They've been around for decades and no long-term effects have arisen. So what high-level knowledge in biology does Josh Archibald possess where he is confident in disputing that strongly enough to drastically change that risk-benefit calculation? We all know the answer to that question.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto

Your post, while intellectually correct, does not apply to Archibald's situation. He isn't necessarily afraid of the medical mid term and long term implications of the vaccine, he has publicly stated that he believes a conspiracy theory that the pandemic is a planned plot.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto

Except conspiracy theories like his, when people believe and act on them en masse, are extremely dangerous to society. We're seeing this now with Alberta's ICU capacity over capacity and people's surgeries being deferred and/or cancelled.

It's one thing to have a principled belief that is based on logic, it's another to have a belief that is completely unfounded and based on blatant lies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The Earth is flat. How much time do I get?
There is no such thing as gravity. How much time do I get?
The Holocaust didn’t exist. How much time do I get?

The Point being entirely that facts are facts and there are no other “ideas” that counter facts.

Anyway I am free to choose to think Archibald is a cancer to the team in more ways than one and the sooner he GTFO the better.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
The vaccine generates a passionate reaction because it has been politicized, nothing more. Everything in life is a risk-benefit calculation and this is no different: risk of short/long-term effects of COVID vs. risk of adverse effects from the vaccine. Scientists are extremely confident that there won't be any long-term effects from an mRNA vaccine... biologically they don't see any mechanism for that happening. They've been around for decades and no long-term effects have arisen. So what high-level knowledge in biology does Josh Archibald possess where he is confident in disputing that strongly enough to drastically change that risk-benefit calculation? We all know the answer to that question.

You've nailed it. Josh isn't performing this sort of mental calculation in his head. He thinks COVID is a planned plot and the vaccine is an extension of that plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad