Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
TBfgUrq.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Most of holland’s One year experiments are starting to recently. Even smith is turning it around. Albeit by next week he will probably be brutal again but still.

Next season will be the big test for Holland. Interested to see what he does.

Seriously? I mean, yes, it will be important, but how can you not consider this year the biggest test considering how little he had to work with? Swapped Lucic on the payroll for 19 goals (so far) and basically reconfigured our entire bottom six, and added to our goaltending for a pittance.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
C'mon now, can we get the subject line changed so nobody else bumps their head from jumping for joy?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Seriously? I mean, yes, it will be important, but how can you not consider this year the biggest test considering how little he had to work with? Swapped Lucic on the payroll for 19 goals (so far) and basically reconfigured our entire bottom six, and added to our goaltending for a pittance.

All done with virtually no cap space.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Archibald is absolutely someone I want to see re signed. Not gonna be a big point getter, but he plays the game the way that I feel like everyone should, especially bottom 6ers. Absolutely relentless on the puck, never takes a shift off, and adds speed which is an element we're solely missing.

With him and Yamamoto it's like we got 2 Gallagher's except one is lacking the physicality but better offensively and one is lacking the offense but better defensively. It's awesome and it's got to be terrible to play against. Can't believe Arizona let him go.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
To add to your post, these guys have made our PK one of the best in the league. If the bottom isn’t scoring they have to be good at something and these guys can PK with the best of them. They are starting to come alive in the goal department as well, which could be huge for us down the stretch.
With the horses up front the Oilers arguably couldn't ask for a better bottom 6 line than what Archibald and Sheahan bring 2/3rds of as they're elite PKers who can check top lines and survive. It's been huge for this group.

Reactions: Jet Walters

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd still be very hesitant to give him and Sheahan much of a raise.

They're great on the PK and Archi's style makes him a fan favorite, but they're both still brutal at 5v5. Some of the lowest GF%/xGF%s in the league and pretty close to the worst players on the Oilers at allowing chances against.

I'd like to see both of them back, but with the salary structure on this team, they aren't the type of players you can overpay.

Reactions: npanciroli

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

They're great on the PK and Archi's style makes him a fan favorite, but they're both still brutal at 5v5. Some of the lowest GF%/xGF%s in the league and pretty close to the worst players on the Oilers at allowing chances against.

I'd like to see both of them back, but with the salary structure on this team, they aren't the type of players you can overpay.

I think a lot of that is due to how horrendous they were for the first two months of the season. When you dig yourself a hole that big it’s hard to recover from, especially when your “peak” isn’t particularly elite or even very good.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I wonder how much of that is related to QualComp and %Zonestart? To my eye they are very effective 4th liners.

Reactions: npanciroli

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011

They look better depending on the third wheel but I do agree you can't keep overpaying complimentary players.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think a lot of that is due to how horrendous they were for the first two months of the season. When you dig yourself a hole that big it’s hard to recover from, especially when your “peak” isn’t particularly elite or even very good.

It also doesn't help that they basically haven't had an NHL quality player on their LW for pretty much the entire season, so that doesn't help the numbers.

Still, I think we kind of overvalue these guys because it feels like two decades since we've had good 4th line players. They're both on pace to exactly match their scoring from last season. Considering the contracts they got and when they signed them, they really aren't in a position to ask for much of a raise.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It also doesn't help that they basically haven't had an NHL quality player on their LW for pretty much the entire season, so that doesn't help the numbers.

Still, I think we kind of overvalue these guys because it feels like two decades since we've had good 4th line players. They're both on pace to exactly match their scoring from last season. Considering the contracts they got and when they signed them, they really aren't in a position to ask for much of a raise.

I don’t think we will be seeing huge raises. Maybe 250-500K per year more for each of them.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder how much of that is related to QualComp and %Zonestart? To my eye they are very effective 4th liners.

They're playing easy competition for the most part. We finally don't have a dinosaur of a coach who thinks you play your 4th line against 1st lines.

Zone starts might affect it a little(more so for Sheahan than Archi), but a large majority of their shifts are starting on the fly, so it wouldn't affect the numbers too much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

These are unit numbers of course and as you note they haven't had much to play with. They certainly are not "Brutal" 5 on 5. You've cited one unit metric that could suggest struggles, but that being on an incomplete team that has at times struggled to put lines together and have adequate D play and goaltending. Lets remember BOTH are new to this team that has a new head coach. The process, gelling, and trusting and familiarity with team mates takes time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad