Confirmed with Link: Josh Archibald 1 year $900k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Not a fan of Archibald (off ice), but I don't think you can describe the game he plays as soft. He's already the most physical bottom six player we have. Which is more of an indictment of the rest of our forward group, granted, but he's not "soft".

He is also very quick. He's basically Heinen's replacement. I prefer Heinen over Archibald but you knew this team had to add some cheap bottom 6 players to fill out the rest of the roster. They still need to replace Erod with another body.

This board is hillarious. "Heinen SUCKS FIRE HEINEN" *signs Archibald as a Heinen replacement* "............(?) HE SUCKS"

Reactions: Factorial

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think he's purely a 14th F and may shuttle between WBS and Pittsburgh. Zohorna is waiver eligible so I don't think they'd risk losing him.

Archibald is either an AHLer on a 1 way deal (like Tokarski) or the Penguins are trading multiple forwards.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He is also very quick. He's basically Heinen's replacement. I prefer Heinen over Archibald but you knew this team had to add some cheap bottom 6 players to fill out the rest of the roster. They still need to replace Erod with another body.

This board is hillarious. "Heinen SUCKS FIRE HEINEN" *signs Archibald as a Heinen replacement* "............(?) HE SUCKS"
This is not a replacement. Heinen popped in 18 goals with limited usage and gave serviceable top 6 minutes with Malkin when there. Didn't score much but helped the line in other ways.

That's not something Archibald is capable of. I'm not sure he should even be in the NHL anymore.
Is Puustinen and Z really worse than this guy after his health issues and everything?

Oilers fans saying he was their worst player in the playoffs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Two pages of thread on Josh Archibald is two pages too much…

Since our FA thread is down, does it seem to others that our signings today are covering our bases to move Kap and Marino to a certain team on the west coast of Canada for a local boy who’s building a home right now near the pens practice facility? Or could I be mistaken….

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Archibald makes Heinen look like prime Pavel Bure by comparison.

Oilers fans saying he was their worst player in the playoffs.

Can confirm.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I get it. He provides some jam with his speed and tenacity. Still, seems unnecessary and really only furthers the narrative that Sully will never play younger players.

It's pretty maddening at this point. We watched Bylsma literally go down with his ship, refusing to play young legs. Then we won the cup(s) with massive contributions from younger players. Now it seems like we are right back to where we were in 2014. Just let some young hungry players get in the lineup already.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I get it. He provides some jam with his speed and tenacity. Still, seems unnecessary and really only furthers the narrative that Sully will never play younger players.

It's pretty maddening at this point. We watched Bylsma literally go down with his ship, refusing to play young legs. Then we won the cup(s) with massive contributions from younger players. Now it seems like we are right back to where we were in 2014. Just let some young hungry players get in the lineup already.

Hey wait Archibald is a young guy, isn't he?

*checks hockeydb*'

Well f*** where did the time go?

Also... to your point... it's worth pointing out that the Penguins farm system probably orders of magnitude worse these days than then. However like I said if they are signing this dingus as an NHL option it must be way worse than we figured.

Or you're right and the coach just doesn't want to deal with young players. It IS more work, I suppose.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Archibald ain't replacing Heinen, he splits the difference between ZAR and Simon.

Also one day people will have a go at the GM who actually signs the players rather than the coach when we sign a 4th line guy and I'll keel over and die of shock.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Archibald ain't replacing Heinen, he splits the difference between ZAR and Simon.

Also one day people will have a go at the GM who actually signs the players rather than the coach when we sign a 4th line guy and I'll keel over and die of shock.

Well I'm not even criticizing Sullivan... yet.

But face it... your defense-in-advance tells me even YOU know what's gonna happen here haha

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well I'm not even criticizing Sullivan... yet.

But face it... your defense-in-advance tells me even YOU know what's gonna happen here haha

Just render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's. Mike Sullivan doesn't shoo Hextall out of his office so he can call in the 4th line signings then pat him on the head on the way out. If there's a man who's made the choice that we'll keep adding plenty of long term 4th liners rather than trusting to the kids, it's Hextall. It's Hextall who controls who's going down to WBS and back up again too. I'm sure Sully has a voice but this image of him as the true controller is a bit whacky and therefore annoys me to an absurd degree.

As for his usage, we'll see what other moves get made, but yeah, he's going to be in Pittsburgh to start the season barring something unexpected, and he'll get a decent amount of game time. He's going to have to bring it to start when fit most like but he's got the inside track and we're never fit anyway. Whether he's good or not, we'll see.

But it was Hextall who brought him here, and it'll be Hextall who decides when he shouldn't be here.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I sure don't think Sullivan is some puppet master. That is indeed silly.

But he has a ton of input on the roster and it is largely built the way he wants it to suit his style. It would be truly bizarre if he did not as a tenured coach with two Cups under his belt. Like I'm not even saying it as a admonishment necessarily just what I would have to assume is true.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Just render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's. Mike Sullivan doesn't shoo Hextall out of his office so he can call in the 4th line signings then pat him on the head on the way out. If there's a man who's made the choice that we'll keep adding plenty of long term 4th liners rather than trusting to the kids, it's Hextall. It's Hextall who controls who's going down to WBS and back up again too. I'm sure Sully has a voice but this image of him as the true controller is a bit whacky and therefore annoys me to an absurd degree.

As for his usage, we'll see what other moves get made, but yeah, he's going to be in Pittsburgh to start the season barring something unexpected, and he'll get a decent amount of game time. He's going to have to bring it to start when fit most like but he's got the inside track and we're never fit anyway. Whether he's good or not, we'll see.

But it was Hextall who brought him here, and it'll be Hextall who decides when he shouldn't be here.
It could have been pure coincidence that Hextall traded away the 2 guys (ZAR and Simon) that Pen’s fans had clearly had enough of because he couldn’t bring himself to stop playing them in any meaningful manner. I personally don’t think it was coincidence though.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I hate this for the same reason I hated the Erod signing last year. Zero benefit and takes a spot from potential call ups.

Maybe he’ll start in the AHL and stay there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I sure don't think Sullivan is some puppet master. That is indeed silly.

But he has a ton of input on the roster and it is largely built the way he wants it to suit his style. It would be truly bizarre if he did not as a tenured coach with two Cups under his belt. Like I'm not even saying it as a admonishment necessarily just what I would have to assume is true.

Fair, and we've got cases of the GM saying "I listened to Sully". But ultimately, it's the GM deciding whether the kids ae good enough or whether they shouldn't be rushed. If Hextall had decided to shape the roster to put Zohona and DOC in, which he still might, that would be that. Up to Sully to decide whether to make the kids work or poison his relationship with his boss, which is usually an easy decision.

It could have been pure coincidence that Hextall traded away the 2 guys (ZAR and Simon) that Pen’s fans had clearly had enough of because he couldn’t bring himself to stop playing them in any meaningful manner. I personally don’t think it was coincidence though.

Given that both guys were only traded at the last possible moment to create cap it seems far more likely its coincidence, Hextall's shown very little interest in what Pens fans want, and Sully HSed both of them that season and routinely gave both less than 10 minutes a night which stretches meaningful.

Frankly this is a refusal to acknowledge reality in order to preserve a moronic narrative.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think he's purely a 14th F and may shuttle between WBS and Pittsburgh. Zohorna is waiver eligible so I don't think they'd risk losing him.

Archibald is either an AHLer on a 1 way deal (like Tokarski) or the Penguins are trading multiple forwards.
We’ve heard this “they won’t ever play” song and dance about crappy players we’ve signed plenty of times before to not be fooled by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad