Prospect Info: Joseph Woll

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He looks big in the net, makes some pretty solid saves and goes side to side well.

He definitely seems to be an NHL goalie and I think he’s at least a solid backup option.

It looks like he has his fitness game down as well. This kid is now a legit asset to help the big club.
He doesn't drop to his knees at the first sign of action
He is a big boy too

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
CcHKuvgW8AAu7NL.jpg

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
unfortunately its going to be a lot longer than this year. Soup still has fans stating lets see a larger sample size.
They’ll be getting the sample size data when Soup plays on another team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sparks always flopped around. It was a matter of time before it showed he's not NHL calibre.

Sparks was an extremely athletic street hockey goalie who seemed to have no fundamentals. Maybe more appropriate for another era when the position was less technically defined and rigorous. For a long time it seems like this organization has liked those really athletic guys and I'm not sure if the plan is to coach the structure technique into them or what, but they're not falling in love with those pure athletes who can't play a structurally sound style or read the play (Pogge, Gustavsson).

Reactions: YLC

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Sorry for jumping into this convo but why are people thinking we are moving Campbell?
I think the concensus from the people in that camp is that we won't be able to afford him and he'll free agent himself somewhere else for more money.

I have a hard time thinking this will happen. Yes he has been incredibly hot this season and last season, but this is only his first real season of being a starting goalie. That's a pretty small sample size. I can see how some other teams would see him as a bit of a risk. Plus yes i really do think he will be loyal to the leafs - call me naive - but campbell seems like THAT kind of a guy.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think the concensus from the people in that camp is that we won't be able to afford him and he'll free agent himself somewhere else for more money.

I have a hard time thinking this will happen. Yes he has been incredibly hot this season and last season, but this is only his first real season of being a starting goalie. That's a pretty small sample size. I can see how some other teams would see him as a bit of a risk. Plus yes i really do think he will be loyal to the leafs - call me naive - but campbell seems like THAT kind of a guy.
Thanks.
For the record I agree with you on why he will be back here

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's done a fantastic job jumping into the NHL like this mid season and then still played well enough to get the win in every game he'd played.

Though on the flip side he probably only got noticably tested in 1/3 games. So hard.to get a full read.on the guy.

Could be a future backup for the team If needed

Mar 26, 2010
I'd consider it quite good if he is now being looked at as #3 on the goalie depth chart.
Toronto has some serious depth in the Goaltending department now. Woll is looking better than a few of the western Canadian teams starters.

I think we are going to see a new animal in the playoffs this season!

Reactions: Buds17

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I'd consider it quite good if he is now being looked at as #3 on the goalie depth chart.

I think Woll has a lot of people questioning his place on the depth chart and 3 might be a pretty low spot.

It wouldn't shock me to see Mrazek being shopped around closer to trade deadline time.

Reactions: 34

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think Woll has a lot of people questioning his place on the depth chart and 3 might be a pretty low spot.

It wouldn't shock me to see Mrazek being shopped around closer to trade deadline time.

The trouble I see there is Mrazek would need to be healthy and play a certain amount if he were to have trade deadline value IMO. If he's playing - and hopefully Campbell is too - Woll wouldn't seem to be.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
The trouble I see there is Mrazek would need to be healthy and play a certain amount if he were to have trade deadline value IMO. If he's playing - and hopefully Campbell is too - Woll wouldn't seem to be.

oh for sure. Mrazek will definitely be the backup once he's healthy, but Woll will get another game or maybe 2 to test himself some more before Mrazek comes back. I'd bet that if this hot streak keeps up, bigger implications will be at play even if he goes back to the Marlies after Mrazek is back with the team.

Reactions: Buds17

Mar 26, 2010

I agree with this. Woll is a legit NHL goalie.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's done a fantastic job jumping into the NHL like this mid season and then still played well enough to get the win in every game he'd played.

Though on the flip side he probably only got noticably tested in 1/3 games. So hard.to get a full read.on the guy.

Could be a future backup for the team If needed

If he can hold down NHL back up duties this early, he's ahead of the curve for the most part.

He will need to get tested more though for sure and then it'll be about increasing the workload while being consistently good.

Reactions: saltming

kb

Aug 28, 2009

It's not happening. That leaves the Leafs one Campbell injury away from a Hutch and Woll tandem.

You never trade quality depth away when you have zero reason to. Especially if "all that matters is the playoffs". It's a grind, and there will be injuries. And factor in the possibility of a "Covid outbreak", it just does not make sense on any level.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Woll is not an NHL caliber goalie yet and is completely unready for a backup role. He certainly has potential to be a starter in this league with his tools, but don't let three games fool you. Numerous AHL goalies are capable of stringing together a solid 3-5 game stretch behind an above average defensive playoff team (Hutchinson started with a .940sv% in WPG).

He's shown great signs but this needs to be a full development year at the AHL level before you can even think of giving him looks as a backup; he's yet to even be above average with the Marlies over long stretches. He's proven he can be a desperation third string goalie but he's been very lucky on a lot of point blank chances (e.g. missed shots by Gregor both beat him clean).

No goalie is perfect but he's been insulated well and, outside of one sequence, hasn't been truly tested. If Mrazek is moved, it's because of his cap being reallocated to Campbell, not to make room for Woll yet.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Woll is not an NHL caliber goalie yet and is completely unready for a backup role. He certainly has potential to be a starter in this league with his tools, but don't let three games fool you. Numerous AHL goalies are capable of stringing together a solid 3-5 game stretch behind an above average defensive playoff team (Hutchinson started with a .940sv% in WPG).

He's shown great signs but this needs to be a full development year at the AHL level before you can even think of giving him looks as a backup; he's yet to even be above average with the Marlies over long stretches. He's proven he can be a desperation third string goalie but he's been very lucky on a lot of point blank chances (e.g. missed shots by Gregor both beat him clean).

No goalie is perfect but he's been insulated well and, outside of one sequence, hasn't been truly tested. If Mrazek is moved, it's because of his cap being reallocated to Campbell, not to make room for Woll yet.

Hate to agree with such a post as this, but its written very well, and thank god dude, you know how to paragraph for people reading on devices..

Have to grudgingly agree with all you stated...

The kid has been thrust into the spotlight and with our strong team defence, that has taken the league and our fanbase by complete surprise, the kid is making out extremely well.

Soup's agent must be hating this, because, it sheds more light on the Leafs team defence possibly making Campbell look better than he is, as well..

But have to say, it sure is beautiful seeing our team with some depth at the funkiest position in the NHL...goaling...

Seven top four NHL DMEN, and three quality goalers...

I bought the coolest Maple Leaf toque last night... It was 20 bucks and I pounded the guy down to 15 cash...

Pure white with a blue maple leaf crest on the front....For old times sake, I wore it while I slept..

Someone, out there, with a ZEKE talent, should write a book, about the effect, a strong Leaf team has on a fan,versus, what has been done to oldsters like me for decades, with losing teams..

I think this Dubas guy might be turning into a Sam Pollock... Right in front of our eyes..

Having a beautiful hockey team like we now have, is just pure sports joy for me....

Btw, love and more love for Wayne Simmonds...

Watch him here... First of all,he is rubbing his old leg while he is being interviewed...

Besides being a great interview here, he is asked an inane black oriented question, man, he dealt with it so well, he politely but firmly brushed the media off, like an annoying pack of black flies..

He was asked about Evander Kane, like, since he was black, he should have an opinion...

Really petty and insulting and Simmonds handled it with aplomb, class and man, he is becoming pretty immoveable in our lineup....He must be a huge dressing room rock star..

I have said this for almost twenty years on two hockey forums...

If you build a great dressing room, with hockey talent, you can do all kinds of things..

Simmonds basically confirmed what we all have suspected.. This current team loves being together, hanging out and as a by product, going out, and winning games...

Jon Cooper got it, a long time ago, now the Dubas/Keefe duo has mastered it as well..

I love watching Tampa play hockey, but now, I am seeing it here...

Talented, dialed in players, that cannot wait to go back to the dressing room and howl and laugh and throw shit around and joke around, and then go back out and GET THE JOB DONE...

You can tell Crosby did and does that for Pittsburgh, Ovechkin for Washington, well, its being done here, and damn, my toque is still on..

So many catalysts, that we can point to....

Seeing two boyhood friends playing together in Kase and Kampf, for me, is so obvious, but only dubas made it obvious...

Management having the stones to play two youngsters from the same country, in lilly and sandin..

Like, who does that, well apparently we now do... lol...

Signing a guy like Ritchie who the league has discarded because no one has connected with the kid yet..

Well the kid hit two guys who should still be on the ice.. He kinda laid off on the third guy, but I felt it, lol..

The only problem we have now, is that our management is so ahead of the cereal box, everyone is going to try and copy and paste us...

But a lot of credit has to go to Jon Cooper, in my books, but that guy has just gone and copy and pasted the 1970's Montreal Canadiens.. Practise like maniacs, like crazies, and then the games become, kinda manageable..

Another must see video for an real relevant leaf fan.....

Again Wayne Simmonds, gave a bit of the secret away, he said, the team loves to practise and work hard in practise...

Wayne Simmonds and Jason Spezza, do you think those two are going to have a hard time finding a media or NHL management job, after they reluctantly toss in the towel...

Final thought for all those out there as pumped as I am about Leaf Nation..

Sorry that is the Simmonds interview..

Man, that guy has so much promise for a post NHL career, and he is already tuning it right now. Right on brah.... You heard it here, this guy is going to be bank till he is 75, and he deserves it..

Cup schmup, draft,shmaft..

We are now in my mind, officially in the Washington Capital region of being contenders...

Playoffs are a lot of factors and luck...

But I think we are now in the mix, of top six.. Its a great place to be.. Enjoy homies.

Anyone finished scratching their head about our team making Joseph Woll look like an NHL all star..

Pat Burns created this type of team defence, so I do have to admit, I have seen this ONCE before..

But to see it again, is well, man, guys and gals, I wore a LEAF toque overnight, like a kid..

Heck, its still on lol....

NUTHER must see vid....for the hard core...

And yup once again, watch his right arm, he is rubbing his right leg, probably some sciatica, just like Simmonds..

Want to say, last two Cups the LEAFS won, we had some really, really old flesh on those teams.

Glued and taped together, well, we have a few now as well.

In terms of catalysts, which I LOOK for in stock trading, lets also watch this video, which was filmed before we went on this great run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDm3q4IPxQ

Its KYLE DUBAS, talking so well, but also, excitedly, he knew, he achieved a really good gm signing, of a great player, he locked him up.

I really don't think, its a coincidence, our team soared after this signing and this video of a normally boring guy, who is, well, DUBAS, is excited here, he signed up a guy, who is the unofficial, guy, in the dressing room, and quite often, the ice...

Dubas, is semi Steve Dangle here, and remember, this was before we went on this current tear..

Dubas knew, he landed a great player, for a long time, at a great price..

So for the uninitiated...Our GM, delivered a great FED speech here, BEFORE, we went on a tear.

Trust me, agents watch this stuff closely, and thus, so do some of the players..

This is the best, delivery, I have seen from Dubas...

And the gods, listened and delivered for the guy. Sure we will lose games here and there.

But finally, we in my mind, have a foundation....

Toque still on.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Does anyone else think Greg Moore’s system in the AHL has negatively affected Wolls numbers and as soon as he’s away from him his play improves?

From a philosophical perspective, I think that the system that the NHL team plays should be the same system they play in the AHL & ECHL. This way you get to see which player fit your NHL system and it gives the players a bit of confidence when they hit the pros that they already know what to do. IMO the minor league coaches should be primarily about developing skills not X's and O's. There was one team ( probably more than one) that specifically plays the same system in the NHL and AHL, I think it was Pitts (not 100% sure on that)? You see how well their AHLers do in the NHL, lots of no name players that seem to not miss a beat when they move from their AHL team to their pro team

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I have a hard time thinking the words Stanley Cup Champion Petr Mrazek, will ever be said outside of this post. Hey if it's OK to play without Campbell next year, it should be OK to play without him this year, Dubas should have a good idea if he is going to keep or let him walk, if he is going to walk next year, trade him before we lose him for nothing. This team needs some cheap high upside controllable LW assets.

Last edited:

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Branding, agents and business= quality sports teams.

Forget trading a good player before the trade deadline.

Not happening... Before any post, your mantra or prayer is... branding,agents and business.

Then you will be a cool poster...

Its the NHL..... when I talk to borje, shayne, darcy, etc...

They are still in awe of the league, its kinda eery, but it IS, what it is...

NHL is a big deal for these guys...BIG.

Why, I don't profess to know, guess I should have played a few games in it lol..

But they are afraid of it, and honour it at the same time..... Kind of a military feel to it...

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
He's had a few great results for us. I feel like his rebound control needs some work and he loses the net on scrambles a bit. But overall he's made some great saves.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
People in this thread are getting a bit too excited about 3 games. We’ve seen Woll play lots of games with the Marlies, and he hasn’t been particularly good. For the Marlies he’s so far looked closer to a quality AHL backup than a quality AHL starter, nevermind a legit NHL goalie. On the Marlies he’s been thoroughly outplayed by guys like Hutch and Kaskisuo.

I doubt he magically turned into a stud out of nowhere, more likely it’s just a small sample size. He’s got great size, tracks the puck well, and is moderately athletic. On the other hand, while I like his initial positioning/puck tracking, IMO he is a bit prone to overcommitting when moving around the net, so that he can’t recover for the extra pass. Rebound control needs work as well, plus he simply lets stoppable pucks through a bit too often at the AHL level. None of these are massive weaknesses, they’re things he can continue to work on, but I doubt he went from “AHL backup/low-end AHL starter” to “solid NHL backup” overnight. If Mrazek stays injured and Woll stays up, don’t be surprised if Woll starts to get lit up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad