Prospect Info: Joseph Woll

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
He looks big in the net, makes some pretty solid saves and goes side to side well.

He definitely seems to be an NHL goalie and I think he’s at least a solid backup option.

It looks like he has his fitness game down as well. This kid is now a legit asset to help the big club.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Great to see him doing well, hopefully he keeps it up.

Terrible puck handler though, needs a ton of work there.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Some goalies playing better at the NHL level than the minor level is a real phenomenon, and I can't even guess at why. I've completely given up on saying anything concrete about goalies, they make no sense.

My comment in so far as I can make one is that he seems prone to overplaying but is right on the cusp of a solid, quiet blocking style. I thought his motions before the shots were a little jittery, but after the puck left the stick he was content to just let it hit him and stay in front of the rebound, and that's to his credit.
Sparks was the best goalie in the AHL one year....

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Does anyone else think Greg Moore’s system in the AHL has negatively affected Wolls numbers and as soon as he’s away from him his play improves?

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I got mocked for saying Woll had the best toolbox in our system, and yess including Campbell.

Doesn't mean he's the best goalie. Just he has the best blend of size, technique and athletic ability.

Neither Campbell nor Mrazek nor Freddy makes that cross crease save in the 3rd. He is incredibly explosive.

Again - don't get me wrong - doesn't mean he's a better goalie than any of those guys. But he has the tools if he can put it together.

Keep in mind Jonas Gustavsson had a great toolbox as well. Case study of having tools doesn't mean you will be able to build a wall.

I don't remember anyone saying that... But if you did, wow, kudo's to you and kudo's to Keefe and Dubas for playing him... Campbell has had three games of well earned rest and we won all three, someone pinch me, our team is just playing, like, perfect hockey...wheeeeee

Reactions: Confucius

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hope Woll keeps this rolling. We have been a terrible organization for developing goaltenders. Dream scenario is we can re-sign Campbell for around 4 - 4.5mil per, and Woll can be his back-up on the cheap for a few years. Finding a taker to gamble on Mrazek and his 3.8mil will be difficult though. However, at least we have this season to figure out if Woll is legit or if this is just a flash in the pan

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I was going to post this until I saw you already did, but you left out the Shutout list, in just 3 games, he even made that top 10 list...
upload_2021-11-27_10-44-58.png

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Yes, the sample size is indeed very small and as we all know, goalies are voodoo and I’m very bad at reading voodoo signs. But I think it is fair to be encouraged, so far.

Reactions: freshwind

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I got mocked for saying Woll had the best toolbox in our system, and yess including Campbell.

Doesn't mean he's the best goalie. Just he has the best blend of size, technique and athletic ability.

Neither Campbell nor Mrazek nor Freddy makes that cross crease save in the 3rd. He is incredibly explosive.

Again - don't get me wrong - doesn't mean he's a better goalie than any of those guys. But he has the tools if he can put it together.

Keep in mind Jonas Gustavsson had a great toolbox as well. Case study of having tools doesn't mean you will be able to build a wall.
I was high on Woll when we drafted him. He has all the right tools. I didn't have a lot of confidence in him coming up though as his Marlies career has been very inconsistent and he had tendencies to give up lots of rebounds and falling on his rear. I still think he can carve out a decent career just not sure if it will be as a starter.

As far as the best tools, I think Scott has that. He is so quiet in the net and absorbs a lot of pucks. With his injury history, I don't have a lot of confidence in him having a long career

Reactions: saltming

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You can have the icyiest of veins, but you will still have nerves for certain milestones. Last year was Campbell's first playoffs. You could see the nerves in game 1. He was pretty much perfect for games 2-4. Game 5, first elimination game, again, you could see the nerves. Game 6, again he was great, but the team let him down. And then first game 7, nerves. I don't see it happening again.
Tenders that don't have it in them never get it .. it is why I only hire da best of best .. guys who have a track record of success everywhere with NO exceptions .. you can't win with losers .. and i love Soup but he ain't gonna get it done when it counts

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Most of these posters really are not close enough to team in any capacity and have not seen him play over past 15 years .. if they have seen him often enough in big time games they would know he is our best 1 on 1 tender of all tenders we have incl Soup .. but they are really only hearing his name for 1st time in past week or so so you have to expect it .. but again like I have said over da years he may or may not make it .. he can be beat on his angles and positioning still in pro hockey .. but you ain't gonna beat him on a breakaway his reflexes are too damn fast and his athleticism is off da charts good

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Hope Woll keeps this rolling. We have been a terrible organization for developing goaltenders. Dream scenario is we can re-sign Campbell for around 4 - 4.5mil per, and Woll can be his back-up on the cheap for a few years. Finding a taker to gamble on Mrazek and his 3.8mil will be difficult though. However, at least we have this season to figure out if Woll is legit or if this is just a flash in the pan
unfortunately its going to be a lot longer than this year. Soup still has fans stating lets see a larger sample size.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I always respect and enjoy your views on goaltending. I don't know enough about Woll to say he's got the best tool box, but some of the scramble saves last night in the last 10 minutes opened my eyes that he's got more than typically meets the eye when you look at the way he handles the routine shots.

Showing my age, but I think of Woll's style as a bit like a Martin Brodeur who can play an organized quiet game with a strong structured D in front of him. But when it breaks down he has the scramble and athleticism to bail them out. If he becomes a serious goalie, people will look at him like "he's nothing special, so overrated and a product of the team in front of him."

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I was high on Woll when we drafted him. He has all the right tools. I didn't have a lot of confidence in him coming up though as his Marlies career has been very inconsistent and he had tendencies to give up lots of rebounds and falling on his rear. I still think he can carve out a decent career just not sure if it will be as a starter.

As far as the best tools, I think Scott has that. He is so quiet in the net and absorbs a lot of pucks. With his injury history, I don't have a lot of confidence in him having a long career
I'm wondering if the extended time off is part of a long term view with him.
So many team would push the player through the injury, but they seem to be giving Scott lots of leeway. Is it normal to give goalies more time to recover or are they favoring?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I always respect and enjoy your views on goaltending. I don't know enough about Woll to say he's got the best tool box, but some of the scramble saves last night in the last 10 minutes opened my eyes that he's got more than typically meets the eye when you look at the way he handles the routine shots.

Showing my age, but I think of Woll's style as a bit like a Martin Brodeur who can play an organized quiet game with a strong structured D in front of him. But when it breaks down he has the scramble and athleticism to bail them out. If he becomes a serious goalie, people will look at him like "he's nothing special, so overrated and a product of the team in front of him."
If he is smart enough then he will become a top tender, maybe best, in league .. he has that potential .. we will see if he has brains to figure out math on angles or not

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm wondering if the extended time off is part of a long term view with him.
So many team would push the player through the injury, but they seem to be giving Scott lots of leeway. Is it normal to give goalies more time to recover or are they favoring?
More healing time is never a bad thing imo. I would rather give him more time to slowly build the strength and flexibility in the tendons and joints before he tries to come back and have a somewhat heavy workload.

He looked good in his minimal time back and it would be a shame to move on from him and he has success elsewhere. Having said that if he can't stay healthy, he will get passed by when Petruzzelli, Ahktyamov and possibly Peksa are all battling for possible spots on the Marlies

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
More healing time is never a bad thing imo. I would rather give him more time to slowly build the strength and flexibility in the tendons and joints before he tries to come back and have a somewhat heavy workload.

He looked good in his minimal time back and it would be a shame to move on from him and he has success elsewhere. Having said that if he can't stay healthy, he will get passed by when Petruzzelli, Ahktyamov and possibly Peksa are all battling for possible spots on the Marlies
Agreed. Injury prone goalies won't make it far.
I actually like our goalie pool right now. One of those names should become a NHL regular at some point

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Does anyone else think Greg Moore’s system in the AHL has negatively affected Wolls numbers and as soon as he’s away from him his play improves?
His numbers declined quickly in the AHL. He has never been elite anywhere, but decent numbers with the American team and got the job done. Maybe he just needs to acclimatize him self to the pro game. COVID lock downs haven’t helped continuity of development.

Could be a good backup if he keeps playing like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad