Prospect Info: Joseph Woll

YLC

May 6, 2010
Sparks was an extremely athletic street hockey goalie who seemed to have no fundamentals. Maybe more appropriate for another era when the position was less technically defined and rigorous. For a long time it seems like this organization has liked those really athletic guys and I'm not sure if the plan is to coach the structure technique into them or what, but they're not falling in love with those pure athletes who can't play a structurally sound style or read the play (Pogge, Gustavsson).

Yes. I agree athleticism is a great attribute but it takes another "level" to incorporate that into the NHL level. Lundqvist was athletic but he also had the fundamentals on top of that to be a great goalie. Whenever I see Sparks play I automatically thought the game is over before it starts because I never had any confidence in him. That one time where he called out the entire team for not playing well probably didn't go well with the other guys.

On the other hand Woll looks calm in net and in great position during these past 3 games with exception of some plays but it's expected as a young goalie. I hope he continues to improve and become our future #1. Right now he should be our primary project in net until Scott can recover and direct some focus on him as well.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
The jury is still out on Woll. Yes, he looked good against the Sharks and Islanders, but you can clearly see the Leafs defense limiting the quality chances...

...except in the third period where the defense fell apart and Woll had to make real saves. When he had to make saves, he did.

So it's hard to say. Reimer looked great at first, too, then he got floppity (and the Leafs took full advantage of it, heh). Regardless, this will be good for Woll's confidence.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The jury is still out on Woll. Yes, he looked good against the Sharks and Islanders, but you can clearly see the Leafs defense limiting the quality chances...

...except in the third period where the defense fell apart and Woll had to make real saves. When he had to make saves, he did.

So it's hard to say. Reimer looked great at first, too, then he got floppity (and the Leafs took full advantage of it, heh). Regardless, this will be good for Woll's confidence.
Reimer was great until the leafs decided they needed Nelson Mandela. Then Reimer started to slide.

Reactions: Smif and zeke

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I’m sure Woll will get some NHL games down the stretch.
I hope so. Need to evaluate him at this level, as he's eligible for waivers next year and one of Murray or Samsanov are almost guaranteed to be gone given that Samsanov is an RFA and will get a decent raise (ie Woll will presumably take on the NHL backup role).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Honestly I need to see 2 good seasons back to back before I get excited for a prospect
I would generally agree with this. Also I generally want to see a good season at the AHL, SHL, KHL, etc level. Plenty of guys look fantastic in junior and then completely fall off at really any professional mens level (let alone the NHL).

For Woll though, given his NCAA/WJC history, and the fact that last year's season was decent (not fantastic, but decent, considering his NHL play last year and his AHL numbers relative to our other AHL goalies), I think it's enough to be excited now. Even if overall the last few years he's had injuries and never really took off at the AHL level.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Woll is looking to be a future starter, but a great backup...time will tell

i am 100% confident with him in net jack campbel i am 70000% confident
Oiler fans currently reporting confidence levels under 700000%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad