Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They kinda did actually. After Murray went down his first game and Samsonov got hurt, Kallgren saved the season. He started over ten games.

Guess you forgot about that.
They didn't. Him playing that much wasn't intentional. Kallgren didn't save the season. He's a 3rd stringer at best. He put up a .898. If Dubas went with Kallgren as the backup, he would face a ton of deserved criticism.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Attachments

• images.jpeg-5.jpg
    images.jpeg-5.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
At a certain point you need to give this guy a chance and see how he does in NHL games. I can't believe this guy was drafted in 2016, at some point you need to either include him in your plans or cut him loose.
Agree 100%. Give him a taste, evaluate, provide him with some experience so that IF needed, he's not coming in cold. Some darned fine numbers coming out of the A, but I would think if he's in your plans or you're considering him as your 3rd choice in the show, him having some confidence at this level, as well as the team learning his game a bit and how to react to him in the net, would be a benefit to both the player and the team.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Agree 100%. Give him a taste, evaluate, provide him with some experience so that IF needed, he's not coming in cold. Some darned fine numbers coming out of the A, but I would think if he's in your plans or you're considering him as your 3rd choice in the show, him having some confidence at this level, as well as the team learning his game a bit and how to react to him in the net, would be a benefit to both the player and the team.

Well said. Every year there's a playoff team who turns to their 3rd string goalie for a few games. There's no reason not to use the regular season to be sure everyone is ready in case that happens. I'm not even a Woll fan, but giving him, or whoever the next man up is, a bit of NHL time also gives Samsonov and Murray some extra rest. Seems like both guys do better with a lighter work load.

Rest the top guys, and test the depth.

Reactions: geo25

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m hoping to see Woll in one or two of the up-coming games. Perfect time to reward his hard work.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
We have good goalie depth heading into the playoffs

Sammy
Murray
Woll
Kallgren
I think if they wanted to do some tinkering because the Leafs and Marlies are both playoff teams this season, that it would make some sense to upgrade on Kallgren. All 3 of the top 3 goalies in the system have been injured this season, Murray has a pretty good history of it. If there was a contract carousel of minor trades it would be nice to insulate both teams at that position for their runs.

But, it is a very nice looking top-3 on the Leafs side of things.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Great point.

I'm hearing a ton of positivity about Woll right now. But I don't put stock into goalies very easily. I pretty much trust NHL results and nothing else. Until a goalie starts playing well in the show, I don't put any hope into them.

One of the few exceptions is a long track record in the KHL, like Askarov.

Askarov is a phenomenal talent that doesn’t come around very often but he’ll need a lot of refinement too to reach his potential.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think if they wanted to do some tinkering because the Leafs and Marlies are both playoff teams this season, that it would make some sense to upgrade on Kallgren. All 3 of the top 3 goalies in the system have been injured this season, Murray has a pretty good history of it. If there was a contract carousel of minor trades it would be nice to insulate both teams at that position for their runs.

But, it is a very nice looking top-3 on the Leafs side of things.

Woll and Kallgren would be a pretty deep contingency plan. It’s reasonable. If we need to go 5 goalies deep for whatever reason I think you just accept that you’re not likely to make a run.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's been the best Marlies goalie by a very wide margin this year, certainly deserves to be the #3 over Kallgren right now. If Murray is still out for a bit when we return, Woll should get in the odd game as Samsonov's backup.

Would also be nice to get him some games to "see what we have". If Samsonov takes over as the clear #1 over Murray, we're gonna want to re-sign Samsonov. He's an RFA, but will likely get a significant pay bump on the $1.8 mil he's currently earning. That may mean we'll want a cheaper backup than Murray at $4.7 mil - if Samsonov get ~$4 mil, a tight-cap team like us can't be spending ~$9 mil on goaltending. Worth getting a good look at Woll at the NHL level, to see if he could be a legit backup option next season, as he'd be real cheap.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Woll's game. Never felt like he read the game at a high level. Just felt like he was behind on alot of reads and it forced him to make a more athletic save then was in his arsenal. That said, I've not watched a single game of his this season, so i really cannot speak to where his game is currently at. From the outside, it is remarkable what he has done. To become an AHL all star after not even being able to play for the majority of the year is crazy.

Good for him, he always seemed like a genuinely grateful, and level headed kid during his post game presser's last year. It was always funny to me when him and soupy manned the pipes as a pair. I don't think there were 2 happier goalies working as a pair in the NHL at any given time last season. He just seemed like a Soupy's mini me.

Hopefully Woller can keep it up! Still young from a goalie POV

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Recalled March 18th.

Toronto Maple Leafs​

Goaltender Joseph Woll and forward Bobby McMann have been recalled from the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, the Toronto Maple Leafs announced Saturday ahead of tonight's matchup with the Ottawa Senators.

Woll, 24, has appeared in three games for the Leafs this season, most recently in 2-1 a in over the Calgary Flames on March 2.

Woll is 2-1 with a 2.04 goals-against average and .938 save percentage at the NHL level this season.

McMann, 26, made his NHL debut with the Leafs in 2022-23 and is yet to register a point in eight appearances.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad