Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident; had drugs in system

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
One of the most talented young pitchers of his generation. I'm feeling absolutely devastated right now. The fact that he revealed that his girlfriend was pregnant last week only adds to the depth of the tragedy.

Stunning. :(

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That's absolutely unbelievable. Devastating for his girlfriend and their future child, his family, and really anyone who enjoys Major League Baseball. He could've had a HoF career when it was all said and done. The world has lost some incredible talent in 2016.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Miami Marlins' Jose Fernandez, widely considered to be among the best pitchers in Major League Baseball, was killed when a boat that had apparently been speeding crashed into a jetty outside Miami Harbor, authorities said.

Fernandez was one of three males killed, authorities said. Two were found in the 32-foot boat and one in the water, the Miami-Dade County Sheriff Lorenzo Velos said at a press conference Sunday morning. None of the three were wearing life vests, Velos said.

The other victims appear to be friends of the pitcher and were not teammates, the sheriff said, adding that Fernandez was not the boat's owner and had not been driving it. He said the boat's owner has been stopped before for safety violations.

The sheriff said there was no obvious indication that alcohol or drugs were involved in the accident but that autopsies could help to determine that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/star-p...ed-boating-accident-reports/story?id=42340869

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
oh my god

woke up to this news and i'm sitting here just shocked. hearing that something like this happened just makes your stomach drop. it really doesn't feel like that long ago that we lost nick adenhart in a similar manner and hearing this news brought back that same terrible feeling

as if him only being 24 and one of the best pitchers in the game don't already make it tragic, the fact that he leaves behind a pregnant girlfriend makes this 100x more tragic. i can't even begin to think what they are going through

RIP

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Forget about playing ability. Jose Fernandez was one of the best PEOPLE in baseball. This is the worst thing that's happened to the game in a long time.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
It's got to be the worst I've felt since the Nick Adenhart tragedy. There really is nothing that I could add. Feels like a punch in the stomach

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The tragedy of this is honestly unbelievable. We as baseball fans lost what was and would have continued to be one of the best and nicest players in the sport. It is truly shocking, and I cannot remember the last death of this magnitude in any sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad