Prospect Info: Jordy Bellerive hospitalized | Update - Released and Training!

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
So the first ever bachelor party without alcohol involved or the person starting the fire was the only one not drinking? I'm guessing neither and that's flat out untrue, but I honestly don't care either way because **** happens. I can understand why you might want to say booze wasn't involved because it sounds worse when it is but come on, are you kidding me? A bunch of young hockey players in the woods for a party and no alcohol was involved? I don't care, but the insurance company probably does so that would be my statement as well.

It wasn't at a bachelor party and it wasn't in the woods. It was at a former Hurricanes' player's family house, and the family was there.

People need to wait until information comes out before spreading rumours or jumping to conclusions but they don't. Unfortunately, this is how all the rumours and misinformation spreads in the absence of official statements and reports.

"Police say alcohol was consumed but not to excess and wasn't a contributing factor"

Lethbridge Hurricanes player in medically induced coma after weekend campfire incident | CBC News

Last edited:

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
It wasn't at a bachelor party and it wasn't in the woods. It was at a former Hurricanes' player's family house, and the family was there.

People need to wait until information comes out before spreading rumours or jumping to conclusions but they don't. Unfortunately, this is how all the rumours and misinformation spreads in the absence of official statements and reports.

"Police say alcohol was consumed but not to excess and wasn't a contributing factor"

Lethbridge Hurricanes player in medically induced coma after weekend campfire incident | CBC News

My assumption was just a very strong option based on what I thought the situation was, and certainly not something I hope anyone thought I was passing along as fact. Thank you for this link and your clarification. These details are important but nonetheless does not change my general thoughts on the situation (booze or no booze, party or not, that it sucks and is sad).

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
My assumption was just a very strong option based on what I thought the situation was, and certainly not something I hope anyone thought I was passing along as fact. Thank you for this link and your clarification. These details are important but nonetheless does not change my general thoughts on the situation (booze or no booze, party or not, that it sucks and is sad).

Ya, it wasn’t a shot at you, sorry if it came off that way. But there have been rumours all over the place with this story, which is the case with most tragic incidents like this. Most people’s minds (including mine) originally go to alcohol and worst case scenario - but shouldn’t be taken as truth until we know the story.

It’s crazy how long it takes for legit information to come out in situations like this. The incident happened Friday night and not until mid day Monday was there a concrete statement. I get privacy of victims and family but in a way the absence of a concrete story allows for rumours/fables to spread. Really unfortunate for all those involved - seems to be no right answer.

Really hoping Vandervlis can pull through and that all three can make a strong recovery!

Reactions: BHD

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Damnit, just catching up to this news now. That's awful. I mean, I'm glad Jordy okay of course, but for the others that is horrible. I hope they can pull out of this.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
In my 25+ years of camping, I have never seen someone get severely hurt by camp fire.

Just YouTube "gasoline bonfire" and you'll see how often it can happen.

I remember reading a story recently of a Mass. woman who fell into a fire in the backyard and the burns were fatal.

A ten year old tripped into a small fire pit in (Southern California) Newport Dunes recently, and got 10% of her body burned. This was a child on a small pit, someone who was easily and quickly pulled out of the fire.

-speculation- if a grown man was disoriented by the gasoline explosion and fell into the flames, I can easily see how this situation happened. Difficult to reach in and get a hockey player sized person out of an ad hoc bonfire. -speculation-

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Fordy

May 28, 2008
you’d have to be a major f***ing nerd to care at all whether they were drinking or not. i can’t imagine what that means to anyone? what does it change if they were drunk or not, it was an accident either way. how is it a “worse case scenario” if they were drunk vs if they were stone sober? this could happen to anyone in any situation

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
you’d have to be a major ****ing nerd to care at all whether they were drinking or not. i can’t imagine what that means to anyone? what does it change if they were drunk or not, it was an accident either way. how is it a “worse case scenario” if they were drunk vs if they were stone sober? this could happen to anyone in any situation
I just want to know what they drank, always looking for new booze to get smashed on.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
you’d have to be a major ****ing nerd to care at all whether they were drinking or not. i can’t imagine what that means to anyone? what does it change if they were drunk or not, it was an accident either way. how is it a “worse case scenario” if they were drunk vs if they were stone sober? this could happen to anyone in any situation

Puritan county(ies) with a pretentious/fake family oriented league. Drunk = Deserved it to a lot of garbage. There could also be an insurance situation but otherwise I agree and don't care. I hope no one mistakes my assumption that they were drinking with any sort of condemnation.

NHL: Drugs and alcohol are bad, kids!
Also NHL: Take moar pills and get back out there and fight sponsored by Labatt Blue.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I mean, obviously.

I just feel like players with this team are cursed to extremely serious out of hockey injuries / sicknesses / ailments.
6bqIDw-M_400x400.png

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is pretty awful, especially for the kid in a medically induced coma as that probably means severe burns over a large portion of his body. That is often life-threatening due to the infection aspect and/or tissue graft rejection aspect.

Drinking or not nobody deserves to suffer this kind of injury. Well, pedophiles maybe, but no one else.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
This is pretty awful, especially for the kid in a medically induced coma as that probably means severe burns over a large portion of his body. That is often life-threatening due to the infection aspect and/or tissue graft rejection aspect.

Drinking or not nobody deserves to suffer this kind of injury. Well, pedophiles maybe, but no one else.

Even if everything goes well, Vandervlis will be in constant pain for the rest of his life, not to mention any disfigurement.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even if everything goes well, Vandervlis will be in constant pain for the rest of his life, not to mention any disfigurement.

Really? My grandfather was severely burned all over his body in a gas station fire, and after the extensive skin grafts (which were unbearable, I'm told) he got along without being in constant pain, even if the grafted skin was often uncomfortable.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Really? My grandfather was severely burned all over his body in a gas station fire, and after the extensive skin grafts (which were unbearable, I'm told) he got along without being in constant pain, even if the grafted skin was often uncomfortable.

Yeah, I did some googling and long term pain wasn’t mentioned much. Lots of other horrific stuff but TIL long term pain isn’t a given. The only painful one I could think of was this documentary (the damn British have so many short medical documentaries on YouTube) where a young child was severely burned and grew after. There can still be lots of other issues to live with.

Sorry about your grandfather.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
PHN is reporting that Jordy was released from the hospital yesterday. I didn’t realize he has been hospitalized this whole time.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
PHN is reporting that Jordy was released from the hospital yesterday. I didn’t realize he has been hospitalized this whole time.

Good news for him personally...I just hope he can resume his promising hockey career with the Pens...nobody is mentioning anything about the likelihood of that...does he need extensive therapy to his hand? Zero information, and it's worrying

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Good news for him personally...I just hope he can resume his promising hockey career with the Pens...nobody is mentioning anything about the likelihood of that...does he need extensive therapy to his hand? Zero information, and it's worrying

They said expected full recovery a week or so back. Don't know why you'd expect the team to put more details than that out there.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I did some googling and long term pain wasn’t mentioned much. Lots of other horrific stuff but TIL long term pain isn’t a given. The only painful one I could think of was this documentary (the damn British have so many short medical documentaries on YouTube) where a young child was severely burned and grew after. There can still be lots of other issues to live with.

Sorry about your grandfather.

Thanks. It happened in '77 before I was born and he died about a decade ago after living a long and fulfilling life, so it had a happy ending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad