Prospect Info: Jordy Bellerive hospitalized | Update - Released and Training!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They said expected full recovery a week or so back. Don't know why you'd expect the team to put more details than that out there.

What does "full recovery" mean? It could mean that I recover full use of my hand to be a functioning person, but that doesn't mean I gained the intricate use of the hand needed to be a high-level professional athlete....there's a difference there

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What does "full recovery" mean? It could mean that I recover full use of my hand to be a functioning person, but that doesn't mean I gained the intricate use of the hand needed to be a high-level professional athlete....there's a difference there

Given it was coming from the org about an athlete, I would infer full recovery as an athlete.

Fwiw, I'd also add that in the phone call they filmed Calen Addison making a phone call to Bellerive after the draft, neither were acting like Bellerive's career path was any way in doubt - although that's mildly grasping at straws.

Also the Hurricanes GM described Bellerive as making "great strides" last week.

Anyway, argument aside, happy news in that Vandervlis is out of his coma.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
His hand must be in pretty good shape if he's lifting. Good to see.

Anyone heard anything about Vandervlis?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He’s using those wrist hook things to hold the weight so I guess there’s still some healing to do there. Hopefully just superficial damage.

There’s some video on that IG channel of Almeida training too, he’s pretty slightly built.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The last thing I saw about him was Bellerive reuniting with him and Vanderbilt being out of the coma. I’ll check twitter for it.

Here:
That's cool, thanks.

Much of the infection risk must have passed if they are allowing all of those visitors with no masks and in street clothes. So, that's good. Poor kid.

Also, it looks like there's a bandage on Jordy's leg in addition to his left hand.

Reactions: USMC607

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
That's cool, thanks.

Much of the infection risk must have passed if they are allowing all of those visitors with no masks and in street clothes. So, that's good. Poor kid.

Also, it looks like there's a bandage on Jordy's leg in addition to his left hand.
I can't even see a leg.????????

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As far as we know, it was more cosmetic. Just surface burns, there was no talk about nerve damage or anything of that sort, so his career was likely never in jeopardy but Doctors like to give you the worst case scenario first, so when things aren't even a fraction of that outcome, they can rest easy knowing they made sure you didn't expect that horrible outcome they presented first.

I had no real worry about Bellerive's future.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I dunno.. hands are important to a hockey player. If the scar tissue causes even a slight loss of feeling or dexterity it could hinder a hockey player. Maybe not forever but for a while.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I dunno.. hands are important to a hockey player. If the scar tissue causes a slight loss of feeling or dexterity it could hinder a hockey player. Not forever but for a while.

Bennett would have probably had all those others injuries anyways, but that wrist injury to start his career really set him back.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Bellerive is listed as playing at the World Junior Summer Showcase on July 28. Along with Addison and Almeida.

Screenshot_20180714-090311_Samsung Internet.jpg
Instantly gotta cheer for this guy.

Literally the only other person I've ever seen with my first name.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

Working corrections. I had 1 dude I work with see that episode and literally that was the only response I could get from him for a week.

But since you brought that up. Hes the only other real person I've seen with my name. Then we have the fictional america dad bully.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I dunno.. hands are important to a hockey player. If the scar tissue causes even a slight loss of feeling or dexterity it could hinder a hockey player. Maybe not forever but for a while.

It seems like it wasn't deep burns, so if anything, he's had time to heal and a hand injury does not hinder you from working out your lower body, so if he's sitting at home not training, I question his commitment to making a career out of this. I've broken my hand and still went and did cardio and leg day, a gym rat will always be a gym rat. Excuses are easy though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad