Prospect Info: Jordy Bellerive hospitalized | Update - Released and Training!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He’s using those wrist hook things to hold the weight so I guess there’s still some healing to do there. Hopefully just superficial damage.

There’s some video on that IG channel of Almeida training too, he’s pretty slightly built.

Yes and no.

It's basically a different type of wrist wrap especially if you are lifting heavy and your grip strength can't handle a massive amount of weight. People tend to use them primarily for deadlifts, which he is doing in that video. It's a normal thing, so to me he just looks like he's training normal without any issue of his hand.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Glad to see things have improved for these kids after the accident, especially the bloke in the ICU. Touch and go for a while there.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Bellerive returns to ice just weeks after bonfire incident that left Penguins prospect with severe burns to hands

Bellerive also had burns to his face, torso and legs. The most severe were to his hands. He says he was told at one point early on he may not play hockey for a year. He was also informed in the beginning stages that he’d likely require a skin graft for his hands — he healed sufficiently the following few days that the surgery was called off.

So much will come down to how his hands react after everything that’s happened.
“That was one of the biggest concerns right off the top when I saw them doing treatment on me and hearing the side-effects of what can happen,” said Bellerive, who had 25 points in 16 playoff games for Lethbridge last spring after producing 92 points in 71 regular-season matchups. “When you suffer a burn to your hands, they can tighten up and they can scar up, and I’ve been lucky enough that since Day 1 I’ve been able to do all the treatments. I think I’ve done a good job of doing all the therapy I can.
“The timelines they give you when you first get in there are one of the worst parts. They’re giving you all these wild numbers, talking about a couple of months and things. They want to give you worst-case scenarios. I’m lucky. I’ve made some tremendous strides.”

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jordy is so inspiring and very diligent and committed to achieving success! I sincerely hope he makes the most of his opportunities moving forward. Really rooting for him!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This is what I mean when I say Penguins curse at the beginning of the thread.

Like seriously one of our prospects potentially loses his edge because a random fire at a stag party that scars his hands?

Only on the Penguins.

Yeah, I don’t know what to say about it at this point. It’s absurd. I don’t logically believe in curses but it’s so much.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That bit about the hands sounds a bit more unsure than the reports to date. Fingers crossed as it sounds like he's doing everything right, but it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Great to hear his recovery's going so well. The fact that he got back on the ice and attended a camp so soon after getting such worst-case scenario timelines is encouraging. Gotta think that if scar tissue had a chance of limiting his dexterity they would have opted for surgery, but they didn't.

There's an accompanying video in the link that anybody interested in his progress should watch. Essentially says the same thing as the article but he seems like he's got the right attitude and he's moving around really well.

He may come out of this even stronger. Taking nothing for granted etc.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
My main concern was nerve damage but there hasn't been any mention of it, so fingers crossed. It sounds like he was very lucky.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
His comment about the scarring and hand tightness is what I was fearing since the beginning. People with severe hand burns often can’t lay their hand flat on a surface or grip properly anymore. I’m glad it seems like he’s avoided that to this point.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He thinks he’ll be ready for training camp.

Bellerive confident he'll be ready for Penguins training camp

"At this point I'm feeling pretty good physically," Bellerive, 19, said. "It's a little different on the ice. In the gym I feel really good. I've made massive progress since I've been back at it. The ice is coming but that's a bit of a process as well with my hands, getting everything back without damaging any of the new skin. I've got a long way to go but I've made a lot of progress."

Bellerive spent 12 days in the hospital, but his recovery process has him confident he will be a full participant at Penguins training camp in September.
"As far as I've come, as quick as I have, I don't think it's too far-fetched to think I'll definitely be ready to go by training camp and be full flight by then," he said.

The only adjustment Bellerive has had to make on the ice is to wear a glove under his hockey glove to prevent chaffing where new skin is growing.
"Whatever pain I struggle with, I have the green light to try to battle through it," he said. "It's not going to harm my recovery anymore. Just trying to get back to where I was before the incident."

"To think about the World Juniors, to think about the upcoming Penguins camp … those are the kind of things I'm reaching for," he said. "To have those in front of me as a goal, it's pretty motivating and something that definitely helps me get up the morning and go to the gym, and do that one more rep or take a couple more shots every day. Little things like that keep you motivated for sure."

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wow, had no idea the original prognosis was out for a full year. Although, docs do tend to err on the worst-case scenario side of those things just to cover their bases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad