Waived: Jordin Tootoo

crashman

I don't think he will get claimed. That extra year hurts the chances.

I agree, but even the $925k in cap relief from waiving him is better than waiving Eaves and his $1.2, in my opinion.

Tootoo being claimed would be great news for this team.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Holland ****** loyalty is misguided... Cleary, Samuelsson and Quincey plays crap, lets waive the one guy who isnt....:shakehead

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Actually the AHL has rules about how many guys can suit up on any given night as veterans, pretty sure they have the max there now.

In any event I don't think he is actually sent down if he clears, they just think about their next course of action, kind of like when Jokinen was waived by Carolina last year and never really went anywhere.

Keep in mind whenever Holland waives these people Mursak, Emmerton and so forth he talks about them reporting to GR in the event they clear, today he seemed much more if he doesn't we need to re-evaluate. Not really a mention of how he fits into GR or they are fine if he winds up there.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Wtf?

Chuck Pleiness ‏@wingsfrontman 2m
Wings GM Ken Holland says in a text that Jordin Tootoo won't be sent to Grand Rapids if he clears waivers.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hmm with an extra year still on his contract, it does make you wonder if hes not claimed if they hold onto him until injuries hit and then once guys like Cleary and Sammy are gone next year they bring him back up for his last year

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Wtf?

Wings GM Ken Holland says in a text that Jordin Tootoo won't be sent to Grand Rapids if he clears waivers.

I could be wrong but wasn't there changes to the CBA when a player is sent down and then brought back he is then able to be sent back down and not have to clear waivers again.

I could be way off on this but I thought I recalled reading/hearing this.

If so this could be Holland taking a chance that they send him down and up with out him ever leaving Detroit then they will be free to open up the cap space and roster space anytime they need it.

Again I could be definitely wrong on all of this.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Wtf?

I am guessing that there is a team that is willing to take Tootoo if we retain salary. (for 7th/future consideration) Waiver is to see if anyone will take his whole contract as is. Just my guess.

I could be wrong but wasn't there changes to the CBA when a player is sent down and then brought back he is then able to be sent back down and not have to clear waivers again.

I could be way off on this but I thought I recalled reading/hearing this.

If so this could be Holland taking a chance that they send him down and up with out him ever leaving Detroit then they will be free to open up the cap space and roster space anytime they need it.

Again I could be definitely wrong on all of this.

From what I remember this only lasts 30 days(once a player clears, he doesn't have to clear waiver for 30 days for any movement). I could be wrong though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Someones gotta go...

Nothing forces anybody anywhere. If Tootoo is waived, he could be still kept at Detroit. Waiving Tootoo does not affect anything automatically to Griffins. It could affect, if they decice so, but not automatically.

This is just a normal procedure. Nothing to wonder in here. He'll sit out as a healthy scratch, waiver-process is just a tool to affect our cap and roster figures. And maybe get the biggest help, if someone claims him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Hope Tootoo can find a home out there, I think his waiving has little to do with his play and more to do with fall out over the mess Holland has created. Would be nice to know the actual reasons behind the Cleary signing because from the outside it looks like pure insanity.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wtf?

Was getting at this about the veteran rules, GR is tight against those, he just cannot go there. Plus if he clears I think they push forward with him and try to unload somebody else, keeping Tootoo in Detroit. Like I said I don't think Jussi Jokinen ever reported to Charlotte last year during this process.

Waivers and the AHL rules on veterans work a little more complicated than some people think. They could also loan him to a different organization in the AHL, which would make sense, for God sakes Frk is in Toledo as a right winger, we don't need another down there either.

smoke meat pete*

Poor Tootoo, deserves way better then this. For people complaining about his offensive numbers... offensive numbers arent everything in hockey. He was brought in for his fore checking and willingness to fight. He is overpaid by what 600k which shouldnt really be that big of a deal in properly managed team...This aint fantasy baseball no matter how much you wish it to be. A hockey team cant be built by math geeks, financial advisors, and statisticians. There are just to many factors at play on the ice which cant be sumarized by a couple of digits. Holland is an overrated idiot, been saying it for years and get flamed because he continually makes the playoffs, which isnt the point of NHL hockey, its the Cup and Holland is 6 years removed from his last one. Time for a change.

He signed Franzen and Zetts to stupid contracts and has 1 prospect that looks like he can be a shoe in for 2nd maybe 1st line duties. The rest look like bottom sixers or Europe bound. This team is going to be a mess in a few years, just you watch. Quote me on it and hate me for it, never been so sure about something in the future quite like this.

The only thing he has done right, is get good defense drafted even though I think most of them that got a lick of the show this year benefited hugely from Babcocks system, not their skill alone, not to mention over performing due to excitement/adrenaline from getting their shot finally.

End of management rant. :)

Roy S

May 16, 2009
If he's not claimed, they'll probably trade him and pay for some of his salary in a deal. Trying to trade him at full price of his salary hasn't worked yet.

I imagine Eaves could be waived pretty soon, as well, assuming what's going on with Franzen won't require a trip to the IR.

16 games in and no Nyquist, but they have managed to still be 4th in the conference without him while preserving depth in case of injuries, they've tried a lot of guys out in different roles as they figure out line combinations and GR and a lot of the prospects are doing really well. Holland's probably pretty pleased with the way things are going system-wide so far as they slowly work their way through the roster situation to get the best team on the roster while preserving depth in case of a lot of injuries hit.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
they may already have a deal with somebody with the wings retaining some salary. Try waivers to see if anybody will take the whole salary. Could explain kh comments

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm just happy holland did something, so at least we know he had a pulse . Glad he didn't continue to just ride out LTIR like a coward.

That said its sad he didn't waive the worst forward on our team (easily Cleary), so sad to see tootoo go, but it's baby steps I guess.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
One of the few who brought it in the winnipeg game, his payment? Waive him.

But we've got Cleary and Samuelsson when we need energy so who needs a guy who actually plays his role perfectly

This.

Sammy is the stiff here and the obvious move, even if it only brings 100k of cap relief, it's one less forward on the roster to work around.

This is the first time I've been critical of Holland on this board, but he needs to man up to be GM in this league. He needs to tell little Mikey that mummy and daddy just can't afford that cute little Cleary puppy, even though he's wagging his tail so nicely and covering him with little puppy kisses.

I've been a Cleary fan in the past, but it's just like with McCarty, the time comes, and this summer was the time.

Tootoo brought it every game, he doesn't deserve to be the one who's shown the door when there are so many other stiffs that don't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes