Waived: Jordin Tootoo

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
Tootoo will have to be claimed to make enough cap space to recall Nyquist, and have him stay up after our injured dmen return. If Tootoo is claimed, and his entire cap relief is taken off our hands then the Goose is loose. If he goes unclaimed (VAN and NSH should be interested at the least) it won't do us much favors in a week or so.

Edit:
Tootoo was a good solider who never got a shot to become a fixture on this team. A real shame. An added bonus was that this man could slay Northern Pike like a boss.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
But we did waive Emmerton. Hmmm, maybe we do have a roster spot for Nyquist.

Yeah, but Helm has taken his spot.

Z
D
Bert
Dan the Man
Weiss
Alfie
Tatar
Andersson
Abby
Miller
Helm
Eaves
Samuelsson
Franzen
Kronwall
Ericsson
DeKeyser
Kindl
Quincey
Smith
Lashoff
Howard
Gustavsson

That's 23 so no, unfortunately there's no roster space even without Tootoo. Someone else has to go with him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Tootoo will have to be claimed to make enough cap space to recall Nyquist, and have him stay up after our injured dmen return. If Tootoo is claimed, and his entire cap relief is taken off our hands then the Goose is loose. If he goes unclaimed (VAN and NSH should be interested at the least) it won't do us much favors in a week or so.

Nyquist only comes up if a forward goes down, and it's a long term injury. Once Nyquist comes up, he is never going back down. A trade would be another scenario which allows Nyquist to come up, but lets remember who the GM of the Detroit Red Wings is.

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yeah, but Helm has taken his spot.

Z
D
Bert
Dan the Man
Weiss
Alfie
Tatar
Andersson
Abby
Miller
Helm
Eaves
Samuelsson
Franzen
Kronwall
Ericsson
DeKeyser
Kindl
Quincey
Smith
Lashoff
Howard
Gustavsson

That's 23 so no, unfortunately there's no roster space even without Tootoo. Someone else has to go with him.

It's a good thing Dan Cleary was brought back.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

This is what I had originally thought, but started over thinking the Emmerton down / Glendening up and down movements and got all turned around in my head.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Paging our cap crunchers,

what are the implications of this move?

I think we're still 1 move short of being able to call up Nyquist permanently

If we called him up we'd have 24 players when everyone got healthy and we would no longer be able to send him down without going through waivers.

I think we're also still over the cap with everyone healthy. About 1.2 million over the cap.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think we're still 1 move short of being able to call up Nyquist permanently

If we called him up we'd have 24 players when everyone got healthy and we would no longer be able to send him down without going through waivers.

I think we're also still over the cap with everyone healthy. About 1.2 million over the cap.

Thanks, that makes sense. Seems likely that Eaves would be the one to go if his hit just barely eclipses the $ amount we need to shed.

*day dreams about the team without Cleary clogging it up and a single joyous tear runs down my cheek*

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
If he clears he goes to Grand Rapids and saves us $925k. If he gets claimed the whole $1.9M is removed off our books. This makes room for Ericsson to come back, not for Nyquist to get called up. Now depending on how Detroit feels about the rest of the forwards, they could waive another player and it'd make a roster space for Nyquist, just not sure of salary cap.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

Edit:
Tootoo was a good solider who never got a shot to become a fixture on this team. A real shame. An added bonus was that this man could slay Northern Pike like a boss.

I agree. I like his game a lot but he never got any minutes to prove himself. Guy is a great energy player and I think has more offensive skills than a lot of people think. I hope he catches on somewhere. Salary was too high for the little we used him. Now if we hadn't signed Daniel Cleary we would be good to go

skinneh

#FireHolland
Jul 17, 2009
Winnipeg
If we waive another and bring up Nyquist where will he play realistically?

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Bertuzzi
Franzen, Weise, Alfredson,
Tatar, Anderson, Cleary,
Miller, Helm, Abs

The only person I see Babs taking out is Tatar :(. Cleary is the obvious choice but there is no way that is going to happen.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Tatar, Anderson, Cleary,
Miller, Helm, Abs

The only person I see Babs taking out is Tatar :(. Cleary is the obvious choice but there is no way that is going to happen.

I doubt he plays this year. If he comes up, he stays up. And I don't think Babcock or Holland want him playing less than 10:00 minutes a night, or not at all. They'd rather see him be a leader in the AHL even if he has already proven himself at that level. And I can't disagree with that based on the situation. In a perfect world Babcock has both Tatar and Nyquist in the top 9, or even 6 if I'm being greedy.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
My twisted fantasy of Abby-Helm-Tootoo becoming the second coming of the grind line is gone with this move. Here's another question for the cap crunchers around here.

If Tootoo is claimed, are we relieved of his salary? Or do we still pay half of it? It wouldn't effect us to much if it was this year. But I always hate to see left over cap hits and salaries from players who aren't on the team (Alfie next year..urg).

crashman

Tatar, Anderson, Cleary,
Miller, Helm, Abs

Seriously, with the way he's playing, Babcock should be embarrassed if he sits Tatar over Cleary.

The only argument one could make for Cleary over Tats is his PK ablilty, but with Miller, Helm, Abby, Weiss, D and Z, we don't need to ice Cleary on the PK.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
My twisted fantasy of Abby-Helm-Tootoo becoming the second coming of the grind line is gone with this move. Here's another question for the cap crunchers around here.

If Tootoo is claimed, are we relieved of his salary? Or do we still pay half of it? It wouldn't effect us to much if it was this year. But I always hate to see left over cap hits and salaries from players who aren't on the team (Alfie next year..urg).

Were relieved of his salary 100%

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan

Tatar, Anderson, Cleary,
Miller, Helm, Abs

I'm not a big fan of switching lines that are successful, but when Nyquist comes up, I'd like to see this line up.

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Alfredsson
Franzen- Weiss- Nyquist
Tatar- Andersson- Abdelkader
Cleary- Helm- Bertuzzi

I think the top9 works well, but that 4th line I don't like, but with Helm and Bertuzzi it could work.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

100% relieved if claimed. They got rid of the "re-entry wavier" thing.

I'm not a big fan of switching lines that are successful, but when Nyquist comes up, I'd like to see this line up.

Franzen- Weiss- Nyquist
Cleary- Helm- Bertuzzi

I think the top9 works well, but that 4th line I don't like, but with Helm and Bertuzzi it could work.

Cleary on the 4th line? Never going to happen under Babcock.

I have a feeling that even if Nyquist is called up he will be rotating with Tatar.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Paging our cap crunchers,

what are the implications of this move?

If he gets claimed we're clear of his 1.9M & I think it paves the way for Nyquist to be recalled, though it depends on what they want to do with Eaves/Samuelsson. If he doesn't get claimed 925k of his 1.9M is taking off of the cap, in order to get Nyquist up we would also have to waive/trade Eaves/Samuelsson.

As of right now we're cap complaint via LTIR I'm not sure what will happen once Ericsson comes back but we may have to make a 2nd waive of cuts if Tootoo isn't claimed.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Why not sit Bert and Sammy, waive Eaves and bring up Nyquist?

Babcock has been willing to sit both of those guys.

Franzen- Weiss- Nyquist
Cleary- Helm- Miller
Bert, Sammy

crashman

Why not sit Bert and Sammy, waive Eaves and bring up Nyquist?

Babcock has been willing to sit both of those guys.

Bert is playing well, it won't happen right now.

I think there's more to this than just making room for injured players (Ericsson/Helm) and bringing up Nyquist, I bet he's trying to swing a trade.

My guess is that bringing Nyquist is pretty low on Holland's priority list, unfortunately.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I like how everything people here predicted about the Cleary signing is coming true. No Nyquist, top 6 and pp time, hardly and points, losing board battles, constant offsides

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
100% relieved if claimed. They got rid of the "re-entry wavier" thing.

Cleary on the 4th line? Never going to happen under Babcock.

I have a feeling that even if Nyquist is called up he will be rotating with Tatar.

It's already happened, he's been on the fourth line this year or last year for a bit. I forgot when.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad