Confirmed with Link: Jordie Benn for a 6th

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
4 things are guaranteed in life, death, taxes if you go to bed with an itchy ass you wake up with stinky fingers, and Maurice will always defer to vets. Stanley out Benn in is a guarantee!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
7th D man on a bad Canucks team but will probably have Mo salivating to play him here, hell Mo would even take Morrissey or Pionk out to play him!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
7th D man on a bad Canucks team but will probably have Mo salivating to play him here, hell Mo would even take Morrissey or Pionk out to play him!
it's funny

beaulieu was a 7th d in BUFFALO, and became a top-pair guy here.
NOW Jordie frickin Benn will be the same???? :sarcasm:

Reactions: sipowicz

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
it's funny

beaulieu was a 7th d in BUFFALO, and became a top-pair guy here.
NOW Jordie frickin Benn will be the same???? :sarcasm:

Yep. I look forward to hearing in detail how loved and respected he is in the room, how he plays the right way, never takes a night off , stands up for his teammates, does everything that's asked of him (and more) how much trust the coaching staff has in him to take the tough minutes and how great it is to have a big body for opposing forwards and pucks to bounce harmlessly off, allowing the goalie to do his job.

We will also hear that the player he replaces (Logan? Tucker?) "did nothing wrong," but that the vet wins the tie, and a big body beats a small (or smaller, or younger) body, all things being equal. Because 538 pro games, even generally mediocre ones, are proof of gud hockeying, rather than, say, pure vet tenacity or a coach's size bias.

1st-pairing, PK, PP, OT -- the sky's the limit for Jordie Benn and the Jets.

Ville Heinola who?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Hoping the d-man you got for a 6th round pick makes a significant impact on your team defense , just shows how bad things really are with your defense.

This would be true in a world without coaches, but here we are.

As it stands, I think there's a small but real possibility that Benn's experience would allow a scenario in which Stanley gets to remain in the lineup but at the same time freeing DeMelo to play with Morrissey. To paraphrase Cheveldayoff, that would indeed be an addition where the impact on the whole was greater than the sum of the added parts. I think they may have given Maurice the tools to (better) maximize the current roster while remaining beholden to his weird old-guy-on-each-pair rules.

Then, of course, they'll get beat to shit by injuries.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
That's disingenuous. The timing of Buffs departure basically torpedoed any chance of addressing his loss that season, and the Jets cap situation and having to pay Laine coming up further clouded the issue.

Additionally, if you're in the market for a top 4 D, you're either going to overpay a guy on decline, or have to trade away something really good to get it in return, which means we likely wouldn't have one of Connor or Ehlers.

People make it sound so easy, but when you try to force something that isn't there, you end up weakening your hockey team

how can an honest assessment of the time that has passed be "disingenuous?" 2 years is 2 years.

Sometimes you have to pay...but there is almost always some kind of deal...and I don't believe anyone is untouchable, and I don't think that any prospect is untradeable... sure we would give up Heinola......so what. Remember when Niku was our blossoming #1 guy?

there for sure has been enough movement in those two years from other teams.

I don't think Ehlers or Connor need to be traded. Samberg,Heinola,Perfetti...there's lots we could use to snag a guy...picks, Apples, Copp....we have the players to make the move.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
how can an honest assessment of the time that has passed be "disingenuous?" 2 years is 2 years.

Sometimes you have to pay...but there is almost always some kind of deal...and I don't believe anyone is untouchable, and I don't think that any prospect is untradeable... sure we would give up Heinola......so what. Remember when Niku was our blossoming #1 guy?

there for sure has been enough movement in those two years from other teams.

I don't think Ehlers or Connor need to be traded. Samberg,Heinola,Perfetti...there's lots we could use to snag a guy...picks, Apples, Copp....we have the players to make the move.
It's disingenuous as in you make it seem like Chevy didn't have significant roadblocks in his way to prevent him from replacing Byfuglien in that first year. The issue with Byfuglien in the first year when he abruptly quit on us just before TC was cap related, not resource related.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
How many top pair Defenceman changed hands in that time?

I would say 6 legit Top 4 guys have moved in that 2 year span....none to the Jets. sure I get it....but then why bring in a regressing Benn, to block our youth and not be very good?
either let the youth play and develop or get a proper fix.....a slapdash patch with another tweener like Benn doesn't help us......And we all know he's not "depth" he'll be in our top 4 immediately.

Reactions: BatVader

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
It's disingenuous as in you make it seem like Chevy didn't have significant roadblocks in his way to prevent him from replacing Byfuglien in that first year. The issue with Byfuglien in the first year when he abruptly quit on us just before TC was cap related, not resource related.

that's not disingenuous....that is THE DEFINITION OF HIS JOB. TO FILL THE ROSTER WITH A PROPER LINEUP.

suggesting he doesn't have to do his job properly because "it's hard" is disingenuous.

Again. Whatever the situation...Benn for a 6th doesn't solve a single problem for us and is a slapdash half measure.

Reactions: BatVader

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
that's not disingenuous....that is THE DEFINITION OF HIS JOB. TO FILL THE ROSTER WITH A PROPER LINEUP.

suggesting he doesn't have to do his job properly because "it's hard" is disingenuous.

Again. Whatever the situation...Benn for a 6th doesn't solve a single problem for us and is a slapdash half measure.
Hey! Go to the store and buy groceries for the household. I'm giving you 30 marbles.

YOU DIDN"T BY GROCERIES FOR THE HOUSE! YOU'RE THE HOUSEKEEPER IT'S YOUR JOB!

You're fighting the majority of posters on this - which I am in favor of (I do it often) but sometimes you have to just accept that you are wrong.

Reactions: RabidOne

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Hey! Go to the store and buy groceries for the household. I'm giving you 30 marbles.

YOU DIDN"T BY GROCERIES FOR THE HOUSE! YOU'RE THE HOUSEKEEPER IT'S YOUR JOB!

You're fighting the majority of posters on this - which I am in favor of (I do it often) but sometimes you have to just accept that you are wrong.

that's BS. Chevy didn't have marbles....we have a bunch of assets, cap space, and including this year a team at the top of the standings with the capacity to make noise in the playoffs....

Again IF we couldn't make the trade...then play our youth and let them actually develop. Samberg and Heinola haven't played a meaningful minute of ice-time in almost 12 months now....

Instead we blow a 6th on a declining 33 year old player who is pretty meh.

I don't see that as a good trade at all.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
the only way I'm wrong is if Benn comes to the team, and either sits in the PB as the "depth signing" everyone claims this is....or if he is magically revitalized and plays some of the best hockey of his life...... because if he slots right into our top 4 and plays like he has the last 2 years.....that's a horrible situation for the Jets.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
this thread is about the Benn Trade...

I have repeatedly stated my position

here it is again

after 2 full years with a glaring hole in our top 4...we did nothing....and ...the big fix is Benn for a sixth? to block Heinola and Sambergs ice time, ice time they desperately need..... or sit pat with 4-5-6 guys in our lineup.

I like neither of those options...but of the choices I'd play the youth and sit pat keeping the 6th rd pick.

for suggesting that neither the deal for Benn, nor our current roster properly address this issue when many of the top teams did a bunch to get better ...

I was told repeatedly that "we are fine" and "Delmello and BooBoo were "great legit top 4 players on a contender" straw-manned, insulted, and told I don't understand hockey.​

Every pundit, every fan & Chevy himself was preparing for a blockbuster deal.

The press conferences after the Ottawa loss had Scheifele, Connor, Hellebuyck & Maurice all asked directly by the media multiple times if they and team expected a trade for a top 4 defensemen and if that loss could be attributed to the locker room being pissed it didn't occur.

I'd say that a pretty rare occurrence. I'm not sure why you've been getting raked over the coals when the entire hockey community was calling for a trade 48 hours ago.

Chevy was hard pressed as well and was actually fairly candid with his response. Yeah he still danced around some questions but he's never going to announce specifics that could be construed as tampering. He admitted at the end of one interview that he circled back to Benn last second when other deals fell through. He also hinted at getting outbid on Savard.

You have nothing to be ashamed of @Skidooboy for your position regarding the lack of a substantial trade from two days ago & that Chevy hasn't found a Buff replacement. The Jets lost all of their starting right side defence over a single summer and only bothered to replace Trouba in a direct deal for Pionk. Thank god that worked out so well!

Others certainly have points that finding a top pairing RD is difficult and in fairness to them there's been very few available. I think however we're all in agreement that Byfuglien was rather unique and basically irreplaceable.

Therein lies the rub. No one is expecting a Buff level replacement to materialize. I think what you and me both have attempted to say is that after two seasons we expected more than Demelo & Poolman to complement a left defence that presently consists of Morrissey, Forbort, Niku & 3 rookies.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If Benn draws in for Beaulieu, I am happy. If he draws in for Forbert or Poolman I am indifferent/I dont mind.

The earliest that Benn could potentially draw in for Beaulieu is October 2021. He's done for the season & by the time he returns Benn will have signed elsewhere.

So I guess you're happy?

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Benn's performance this year is drastically better than last year, but he won't replicate that here - this year he had Quinn Hughes dragging him to "well, he's not horrible" numbers whereas last year he had a 6'7" anchor weighing him down.

He won't have nearly the level of partner as Quinn Hughes in Winnipeg so we'll probably see him turned like a turnstile and drifting into position while the puck is either in the net or saved by Hellebuyck. Helle has covered mistakes for worse defencemen than Benn, though, so we'll see.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
How many top pair Defenceman changed hands in that time?

The Jets could have made a move on John Marino out of college, tended an offer sheet to Sergachev when Tampa was against the cap, attempted to bring home Ryan Pulock, Pietrangelo was just a UFA, so was Brodie, Krug, Tanev, Faulk...these are prime examples.

Some of you talk like there were zero solutions out there. Options have and will continue to exist.

Trades don't happen until they occur. Are you suggesting there's been no conversations among GM's over two years for top pairing defencemen?

How many are available if one of the Jets top 6 were offered up?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The Jets could have made a move on John Marino out of college, tended an offer sheet to Sergachev when Tampa was against the cap, attempted to bring home Ryan Pulock, Pietrangelo was just a UFA, so was Brodie, Krug, Tanev, Faulk...these are prime examples.

Some of you talk like there were zero solutions out there. Options have and will continue to exist.

Trades don't happen until they occur. Are you suggesting there's been no conversations among GM's over two years for top pairing defencemen?

How many are available if one of the Jets top 6 were offered up?
Marino - edmonton was forced to trade him because he wasn't going to sign with them, so doubt he would sign here
Sergachev- would have had to be a huge(4 1st round picks) offer sheet to get him
Pulock- anything we would have offered him isles would have matched unless its in the 4+ range again
Pietrangelo - would have taken a massive over payment
krug- same as above
brodie/tanev - both at good prices but we would most likely of needed to pay more
Faulk- no thanks he just got a 7 year 6.5 million contract not worth it

yes there were some d available but we are the least desirable market and have to draft and develop so we can't afford to be loosing picks from high offer sheets

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad