Confirmed with Link: Jordie Benn for a 6th

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
again if i'm wrong then why was Chevy "swinging for the fences" and going for a proper top pairing D-man?? because he had so much faith in our current group?
If you had McDavid, and your GM traded for Crosby, would you conclude that it's because he doesn't have faith in McDavid? No, he got another good player because more good players make your team better. Our defense is a weakness, that doesn't mean that every player on it is useless and trying to upgrade it isn't evidence of how Chevy feels about any one individual player. Why would this be a statement about DeMelo any more than any other defenseman in the lineup?

Reactions: Duke749

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Pionk is a bad player too then, right?

no. Pionk is a legit top 4 guy with a ton of upside as he's still developing and will probably if not already (multiple seasons of success required before I'd commit to that statement) top 2 on any team.
Morrisey(when he's playing well)is probably a 3-4 guy with top 2 upside. Stanley is trending top 4but not there yet. Poolman is a 6-7. Benn,BooBoo,Delmello, are all 4-5-6/PB guys depending on the team around them.

so when you are done straw -manning me...instead of acting like a rabid "THE JETS ARE PERFECT" fanboi....you could take an honest look at our well documented D-Corps problems, and make a fact based assessment of whom is slotted in above their level.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
If you had McDavid, and your GM traded for Crosby, would you conclude that it's because he doesn't have faith in McDavid? No, he got another good player because more good players make your team better. Our defense is a weakness, that doesn't mean that every player on it is useless and trying to upgrade it isn't evidence of how Chevy feels about any one individual player. Why would this be a statement about DeMelo any more than any other defenseman in the lineup?

shifting goalposts isn't making a better argument. making up silly non comparisons isn't an argument. I never said every player was crap.. I said we have a bunch of 4-5-6 guys in our top 4 and only 2 top 4 guys in our top 4.

Chevy knows it, the pundits know it, the coaches know it. our opponents know it.

pretending that we don't have problems is not helpful. in my opinion blocking our young prospects with a yet another 33yrold 4-5-6 guy isn't helpful, not going out and trading for one isn't helpful.

So again the choice is Benn for a sixth or sit pat. I like neither of those options...but of the two? i'd play the youth and sit pat keeping the 6th.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
shifting goalposts isn't making a better argument. making up silly non comparisons isn't an argument. I never said every player was crap.. I said we have a bunch of 4-5-6 guys in our top 4 and only 2 top 4 guys in our top 4.

Chevy knows it, the pundits know it, the coaches know it. our opponents know it.

pretending that we don't have problems is not helpful. in my opinion blocking our young prospects with a yet another 33yrold 4-5-6 guy isn't helpful, not going out and trading for one isn't helpful.

So again the choice is Benn for a sixth or sit pat. I like neither of those options...but of the two? i'd play the youth and sit pat keeping the 6th.
Dude, you need to calm down a bit. I'm not attacking you I'm just trying to figure out your line of thinking, sorry if it came across aggressively. Who is saying we don't have problems? I just said our defense is our biggest weakness. Nobody thinks it isn't a weakness. Why is that what you're focused on?

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Dude, you need to calm down a bit. I'm not attacking you I'm just trying to figure out your line of thinking, sorry if it came across aggressively. Who is saying we don't have problems? I just said our defense is our biggest weakness. Nobody thinks it isn't a weakness. Why is that what you're focused on?

this thread is about the Benn Trade...

I have repeatedly stated my position

here it is again

after 2 full years with a glaring hole in our top 4...we did nothing....and ...the big fix is Benn for a sixth? to block Heinola and Sambergs ice time, ice time they desperately need..... or sit pat with 4-5-6 guys in our lineup.

I like neither of those options...but of the choices I'd play the youth and sit pat keeping the 6th rd pick.

for suggesting that neither the deal for Benn, nor our current roster properly address this issue when many of the top teams did a bunch to get better ...

I was told repeatedly that "we are fine" and "Delmello and BooBoo were "great legit top 4 players on a contender" straw-manned, insulted, and told I don't understand hockey.​

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
and putting stupid non arguments in my mouth isn't?....

No one is saying the Jets are perfect and pretending that anyone is saying that is making a strawman argument.

In any case, we want the team to be better, many of us are pretty happy with the forwards and goaltending but see the defence as an area of potential improvement. But many of us clearly don't think it's as dire as you seem to, and some of us are even hopeful that Benn--who doesn't really seem better than anyone who's playing right now--might offer an advantage given the Jets' coaching staff's aversion to putting two young players together (an aversion that makes me confident that Benn will not be 'blocking' Heinola or Samberg). That a sheltered Benn/Stanley pair might allow for a Morrissey/DeMelo pair that can play above the level they have been when paired with Poolman or Beaulieu--there's potential for real value for that mere sixth but we need to see it play out

In any case, I don't think Benn, a sixth, or even DeMelo are a hill to die on so you should probably settle down.

Reactions: Mathil8

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
No one is saying the Jets are perfect and pretending that anyone is saying that is making a strawman argument.

In any case, we want the team to be better, many of us are pretty happy with the forwards and goaltending but see the defence as an area of potential improvement. But many of us clearly don't think it's as dire as you seem to, and some of us are even hopeful that Benn--who doesn't really seem better than anyone who's playing right now--might offer an advantage given the Jets' coaching staff's aversion to putting two young players together (an aversion that makes me confident that Benn will not be 'blocking' Heinola or Samberg). That a sheltered Benn/Stanley pair might allow for a Morrissey/DeMelo pair that can play above the level they have been when paired with Poolman or Beaulieu--there's potential for real value for that mere sixth but we need to see it play out

In any case, I don't think Benn, a sixth, or even DeMelo are a hill to die on so you should probably settle down.
See there’s the problem right there OK and you telling me to settle down.
All I’m doing is making an argument based on fact for that I’ve been insulted... yet I’m the problem?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Really enjoying the lively discussion here.

The Benn trade frankly is a very very low impact event. Low impact on ice. Low impact with our future - giving up a 6th round pick.

It maybe could be a tiny bit better for our future to just do nothing and keep the 6th rounder, since we aren't making noise this year in the post season. But Chevy likes the optics of trade deadline day activity for the Jets. Being a 'buyer' at the deadline is a good talking point for him to the players and to the media/fans.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Or we are waaaay overpaying a one trick pony defencemen.

Mellow doesn’t add offence, he can’t keep pucks out of our net, loses board battles, doesn’t “goon”, turns the puck over under pressure, and his first pass is garbage.

I can tie directly 3-4 goals against in the last few games to bad passes he made that left teammates under double and triple coverage leading to turnovers.

he is NOT A TOP 4 guy on a contender. PETIOD.
And the hot take of the year award goes to...

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Really enjoying the lively discussion here.

The Benn trade frankly is a very very low impact event. Low impact on ice
. Low impact with our future - giving up a 6th round pick.

It maybe could be a tiny bit better for our future to just do nothing and keep the 6th rounder, since we aren't making noise this year in the post season. But Chevy likes the optics of trade deadline day activity for the Jets. Being a 'buyer' at the deadline is a good talking point for him to the players and to the media/fans.

So you think.;)

People assumed Beaulieu was a low impact signing, then he's on the top pair getting caved in :laugh:.

The draft pick is fine, Benn is fine as an injury replacement dman if need be. Useage under this coaching staff is always the concern.

Reactions: Skidooboy

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
again if i'm wrong then why was Chevy "swinging for the fences" and going for a proper top pairing D-man?? because he had so much faith in our current group?
Likely to replace Forbort.

If Benn can mentor and support Stanley then Demelo can play in the top 4 with Morrissey, where he belongs

Reactions: Evil Little

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The D is a problem. Does Benn make it better? Not really but he's depth

Demelo is Enstrom.. good at playing D despite the hot takes. I'll take 6 demelos on D please.

We probably have a top 4 D on the taxi squad who our coach could be playing right now. Is our D a problem? Yup.... Is it made worse by what seems like a refusal to play Heinola by our coach? Probably. Chevy went to the media and said he's talked to Paul about playing Ville... Paul hasn't yet. The fact KC went to the media and said that leads me to believe that perhaps there's some disconnect there.

Ill go with the Paul has been given the rope this season... Pretty vet heavy roster.. perhaps a lil bit to heavy. The fact he plays poolman on the first pair and refuses to play Ville over Forbort... Yeah.. 1 plus 1 = win or done. Benn will play over Stanley... When that happens... And it will.... It will be even more obvious why the D is a bigger problem then it should be. Poolman on top pair. Benn over Logan. It's coaching folks. Ppl need to remember our D wasn't all that shit hot with buff Trouba Myers and Morrissey either so gotta wonder if it's a talent problem a usage problem or a coaching problem or all 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbraunm

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Are you under the impression that all anyone needs is a single top 4 caliber D and it makes you a contender?

Why can't it be the case that Demelo is top 4 quality and good player AND we need more help in our top 4?
Thats kind of what I was implying. Demelo is a great defender, most of the time. I've noticed in the great North Canookian division, teams are keying their big wingers on being extra physical with Demelo & JMo. It works to their to get control im our zone! He is tough but not a big body and can be overtaken if on him early.
Jrts definitely need some top-end caliber help back there!!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So you think.;)

People assumed Beaulieu was a low impact signing, then he's on the top pair getting caved in :laugh:.

The draft pick is fine, Benn is fine as an injury replacement dman if need be. Useage under this coaching staff is always the concern.

If Benn draws in for Beaulieu, I am happy. If he draws in for Forbert or Poolman I am indifferent/I dont mind.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Poolman is a fine 3 RD who stepped up last play in vs Calgary. It's not his fault he's being played above his skill level

Demelo Morrissey
Pionk Heinola\Stanley\Benn
Poolman Heinola/Stanley/Benn

Forbort out. 1 yr deal... Likely has not earned an extension. Let's not forget... Tucker had covid to start the year. That plays a role. I'd keep him in over Forbort cuz IMO there is no friggin way Forbort is here next season with Ville Logan Sandman and Josh. Tucker has the advantage of being RHD and I believe he deserves to play over Forbort. Will Tucker be here next season? Maybe not but he's better than Forbort especially when he's not getting 20 plus minute a night.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Hoping the d-man you got for a 6th round pick makes a significant impact on your team defense , just shows how bad things really are with your defense.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Chevy should’ve just grabbed a top pairing D guys! It’s that simple. I mean, it’s not like 75% of teams in the league are looking for one right now....

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
2 years. He has had almost 2 years to address the issue.
That's disingenuous. The timing of Buffs departure basically torpedoed any chance of addressing his loss that season, and the Jets cap situation and having to pay Laine coming up further clouded the issue.

Additionally, if you're in the market for a top 4 D, you're either going to overpay a guy on decline, or have to trade away something really good to get it in return, which means we likely wouldn't have one of Connor or Ehlers.

People make it sound so easy, but when you try to force something that isn't there, you end up weakening your hockey team

Reactions: Channelcat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad