Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal to Montreal in Exchange for Michael Chaput

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Talk about not understanding the macro environment.

Basically the *ONLY* thing that mattered with Weal and the Coyotes was could he be a decent enough fill in for 3 months. He couldn't.

His potential to be a decent player in some right system/fit is irrelevant to us. If he was 21 it would be different but he's almost 27.

Reactions: Pomee and _Del_

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I still can't get over the stats take that this was a steal for Montreal. Epic bad take. Talk about not understanding the macro environment.

Yeah. And in his replies on Twitter, the guy is doubling down hard on that take.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Weal could bounce back and he useful somewhere else. No one is shedding a tear though. We'll take the cash savings and flexibility over whatever the stat line says. He was useless here.

Reactions: Pomee and Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Right. Kinda hoped he'd shine with the opportunity and show that. He didn't. We moved his contract. Could have waived him and been happy. End of story for me. Chaput can help Tucson which is a bonus, as is the fact we're saving a little money instead of paying Weal to play in the A.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Weal may not have been useless.

The Coyotes played better once Weal joined the team.

BW - (Before Weal) 43 games, 19-24-3, 41 points.
WE - (Weal Era) 19 games, 10-7-2, 22 points.

BW .477 points percentage
WE .578 points percentage

Weal's uselessness may have inspired his teammates to play better to cover for his weaknesses. The numbers don't lie.

Reactions: Name Nameless

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Weal may not have been useless.

The Coyotes played better once Weal joined the team.

BW - (Before Weal) 43 games, 19-24-3, 41 points.
WE - (Weal Era) 19 games, 10-7-2, 22 points.

BW .477 points percentage
WE .578 points percentage

Weal's uselessness may have inspired his teammates to play better to cover for his weaknesses. The numbers don't lie.
Bring him back as a mascot.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
He wasn’t going to be here long. He had every incentive to be at his very best, and his best was mediocre. Zero chance he would get an offer or extension from the Coyotes, so take what you can get. I’m good with this.

Reactions: Pomee and hbk

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I was shocked by how little fire Weal played with. Dude looked like he was mailing it in. You'd think a player in his position would be working for that next contract

Reactions: 0point1 and Pomee

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I thought he looked too slick. Trying to do too much. Never really settled down. We moved on, which is good.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Weal is better offensively than what we saw. He’s a player who went from being a depth player in Philli to a guy who had a shot to be on the first line here. I don’t know if it s the Tocchet system adaptation but it just wasn’t working offensively and we had other cheaper options in Kempe and Cousins who can play Weal’s role as a depth C. We rolled the dice and it didn’t work. Saves us from signing him as a UFA player in the off season. We know who we would be in our system.

Reactions: _Del_

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
When we made this trade to save roughly 250kay worth of base salary this season, I thought it was because we wanted to use that money on something else. I guess not...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I figured the trade was made because Dvo comes back and a broken Dvo will play better than a fully healthy Weal
The question was never whether Weal would have a place in the lineup when Dvorak came back. It was whether or not to pay Weal’s salary in the minors.

I have little doubt Weal would’ve cleared waivers. Montreal was probably only interested because they could send a contract back. Chaput isn’t necessarily a better AHL player than Weal. He’s a cheaper one. I thought that was the point. But we didn’t use the space the deal created. So it seems pretty moot to me.

Maybe we get to rollover the savings into next year’s budget?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I'm not sure, but it's possible that some of the guys on IR were insured and this just helps defray the cost of their salaries coming back. I don't how to explain that a budget is set at the beginning of the year with the expectation that none of those players are injured and you're alright paying those salaries though. Perhaps Barroway had the magical foresight that some one would get injured and he wouldn't actually have to pay out the full budget and I'll stop now.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
For all the hate, I was happy with Weal.

It might have been because he was traded for without giving up much, and I got the feeling he was about to be waived, and they just asked if anyone would pay them something instead. They took a contract back, couldn't have claimed him on waivers without making something about that anyways. So I probably judged him like I would have judged a waiver-claim: not by a very high standard, more of the "don't give the puck away just in front of own goalie, thank you", standard.

No reason to not wish him well.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It’s tough to see the forest with all these trees. Not sure the forest even exists. My numbers show that there are just trees.

I disagree with this statement, only because you used "tree" in the plural. Also, "tree" is a generous term. "Sapling" might be more accurate.

"It's tough to see the forest for the single sapling" would be a better statement.

(I may have also gotten this completely backwards)

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
So a month later.. Weal has been a pleasant surprise, has helped the PP, and solidified our 4th line.

Must not of liked the sand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad