Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal [June 29: signed 2-year contract, $1.75m each year per media]

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Nico would start at LW if we got him.

I think Filppula would go to LW if we got Nolan.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I could definitely see Nico/Nolan starting on the wing on one of the top 3 lines.

I don't see 4th line happening.

I don't think Patrick as a right shot will be put on the wing. I would put Filp on the wing instead. Nico on the other hand I could see at left wing and smallish chance not even making the team and playing in Switzerland.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think Patrick as a right shot will be put on the wing. I would put Filp on the wing instead. Nico on the other hand I could see at left wing and smallish chance not even making the team and playing in Switzerland.

Yeah I feel the same way.

If it's Patrick, he will start at C with Flip on the LW.

If it's Hischier, he may start at LW with Flip remaining at C.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
I wasn't saying he refuses to play young players.

I'm saying that Konecny and Patrick/Hischier are in very different situations.

Konecny isn't known for his defense so putting him in a defensive role wouldn't have made any sense, whoever we get has been praised for being good defensively so putting them on the 4th line to start wouldn't be a bad fit.

Plus, there's a difference in responsibility between being a center and a winger.

Then there's also how there weren't really any players blocking Konecny from being a scoring line LW last year... Patrick/Hischier are obviously behind Giroux and Couturier, and probably behind Filppula on the depth chart, at least to start.

But when you are 18yr old high end offensive talents it wont help their development much to play 9 minutes on the 4th line with bad linemates. Nico likely plays a role similar to Konecny last year as a scoring winger tried in top line spots. Patrick would likely play the 3C and move Fippula to wing.

If the Flyers dont think either can play a legit top 9 role than they will be sent back to juniors.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
how much experience do the kids have switching positions in junior? even tho I do agree that switching Filppula to wing seems like a logical choice.

Hischier played a good amount of LW. Even in the handful of games I watched recently he was lining up at both C and LW.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But when you are 18yr old high end offensive talents it wont help their development much to play 9 minutes on the 4th line with bad linemates. Nico likely plays a role similar to Konecny last year as a scoring winger tried in top line spots. Patrick would likely play the 3C and move Fippula to wing.

If the Flyers dont think either can play a legit top 9 role than they will be sent back to juniors.

I agree, I want them as high up the lineup as possible. I'm just saying I think Hakstol would be perfectly fine making him "pay his dues" on the 4th line to start, even if it's only for a few months. Konecny really had nobody to compete with on the left side last year, but whoever we draft will be behind two guys for sure and possibly a 3rd, if he's at center, depending on how much he values Filppula.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
I agree, I want them as high up the lineup as possible. I'm just saying I think Hakstol would be perfectly fine making him "pay his dues" on the 4th line to start, even if it's only for a few months. Konecny really had nobody to compete with on the left side last year, but whoever we draft will be behind two guys for sure and possibly a 3rd, if he's at center, depending on how much he values Filppula.

I think Hextall will tell Hakstol either they earn a top 9 spot or get sent back to juniors. I dont think Hextall would allow them to start on the 4th line.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Hextall will tell Hakstol either they earn a top 9 spot or get sent back to juniors. I dont think Hextall would allow them to start on the 4th line.

But Hextall has said time and time again that he doesn't interfere with coaching decisions.

I think Hextall will decide they're ready for the NHL, have them as one of the 12 guys who play every night, but past that he lets the coach decide what line the guys play on and how much they play.

And even though I 100% want them higher in the lineup, to be honest it wouldn't really be a horrible thing for them to start on the 4th line because they'd still be getting semi-decent 5v5 time (I believe the 4th liners averaged around 10 5v5 minutes per game last year, and the line will be much better this year,) and maybe special teams time.

If they were getting less than 10 total minutes per game then I think Hextall would keep him off the roster, but I think both Hextall and Hakstol think more highly of the 4th line and the guys playing there than we do.

But I guess we'll see... I hope I'm wrong and I'm not saying I'm convinced this will happen (maybe like 30% likelihood), only that it's a possibility.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But Hextall has said time and time again that he doesn't interfere with coaching decisions.

I think Hextall will decide they're ready for the NHL, have them as one of the 12 guys who play every night, but past that he lets the coach decide what line the guys play on and how much they play.

And even though I 100% want them higher in the lineup, to be honest it wouldn't really be a horrible thing for them to start on the 4th line because they'd still be getting semi-decent 5v5 time (I believe the 4th liners averaged around 10 5v5 minutes per game last year, and the line will be much better this year,) and maybe special teams time.

If they were getting less than 10 total minutes per game then I think Hextall would keep him off the roster, but I think both Hextall and Hakstol think more highly of the 4th line and the guys playing there than we do.

But I guess we'll see... I hope I'm wrong and I'm not saying I'm convinced this will happen (maybe like 30% likelihood), only that it's a possibility.

4th lines typically get a disproportionate amount of dzone starts vs ozone starts though, don't they?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sounds like they gave the Weal camp a number and are waiting for them to agree to it.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Weal got to play with Giroux and Voracek last season when he was called up. Easily the best line linemates any rookie is going to get.

Honestly amazed he hasn't signed a deal already. But considering he's not taking what the flyers are offering, I honestly couldn't care less if he left.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017

Hot commodity. Low cost high reward. Could see him get a 5 year deal @ $2.5M per or shorter term @ $3M per. His agent could say Weal is one of the NHL's best secret and you will have to pay to get him. Proven in AHL. He is a very smart player but has had multiple injuries when he was up with the Flyers. Believe injuries were due to being small. I would roll the dice with him.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/playernews/Phi

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just look at all the teams that wanted Vechionne.

Basically the same age but Weal has proven to be a top AHLer and was good in a short NHL stint. Not surprised that teams are looking to add a free 25 year old.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

Hot commodity. Low cost high reward. Could see him get a 5 year deal @ $2.5M per or shorter term @ $3M per. His agent could say Weal is one of the NHL's best secret and you will have to pay to get him. Proven in AHL. He is a very smart player but has had multiple injuries when he was up with the Flyers. Believe injuries were due to being small. I would roll the dice with him.

I think it's time to stop putting Weal into projected line for next season. Hextall isn't going to get into a bidding war for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

12 points doesn't get you 5 years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hextall is a different breed from those before him, but in the past, if the Flyers wanted to keep somebody who was UFA, they didn't get to June much less July.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He didn't want to lose Laughton by signing and protecting Weal, and the free agent discussion period coming right after the ED meant it made more sense for Weal to wait and see what other teams were interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad