Value of: Jordan Staal

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So it came out recently that everybody with the exception of Aho is available in Carolina , if that's true Jordan Staal will interest A LOT of teams.

I doubt he gets moved but if everybody really is available he'd get interest.

So what's he worth?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
He doesn’t have much value, unless the canes retain about 1.5 mil then he’ll have some real value

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
So it came out recently that everybody with the exception of Aho is available in Carolina , if that's true Jordan Staal will interest A LOT of teams.

I doubt he gets moved but if everybody really is available he'd get interest.

So what's he worth?
Really? 40~ point player who has produced like that forever signed at 6 million for another 4 years and "A LOT" of teams would have interest? Lol
He does not have negative value due to defensive play and faceoff percentage. But he does not have much value at all.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
He does not have negative value.

High 2nd+B prospect
or
Late first

You could definitely fetch more by retaining, he would be a perfect 3C in a contending team at 3M and teams woud pay a lot for him at that price.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Jordan Staal in LA would be nice.
After Carter and Kopitar, they have no true #3C. Unless they think Kempe is a C long term. Staal would take alot of tough and taxing minutes off Kopitar.

6Mil for Staal long term is NOTHING for his type of player. Selke defense and 50 points, playoff player with experience. That's pretty good value IMO. Cap will go up too, his contract is a PLUS not a negative.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
LMAO.

Staal has fantastic value. 50 point Centre(playing with bad wingers mind you)

Fantastic defensively, PKer...awesome in the playoffs.

Like you couldn't be more wrong. Staal is one of the best possession centre's in the league.

Staals most common wingers were Aho and Teravainen I believe so he didn’t have bad wingers this year, for the most part.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Without looking, I’m guessing his most frequent linemates were:

12-13 – Skinner/Dwyer
13-14 – Gerbe/Dwyer
14-15 – E. Staal/Lindholm
15-16 – Nordstrom/Nestrasil
16-17 – Aho/Lindholm
17-18 – Aho/Teravainen

Oddly, Staal's peak in Carolina occurred with Nordstrom and Nestrail as his linemates.

EDIT: Right, except for 16-17. TSA was also his most frequent line combination that season.

DobberHockey Presents FrozenPool's NHL Line Combinations

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a Leaf fan i'd have an interest in Staal but the cap hit might be tough to squeeze in. I also like Pesce a lot.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A Staal trade probably looks similar to Phaneuf II; the Canes take on a short-term contract or two, but avoid long-term retention; Staal’s AAV and NMC prevents a good return.

Unless he wants to go, I doubt he’s a guy that ends up going, though. His two-way ability, physicality and position are extremely important to Carolina moving forward. There’s some risk long-term if he loses a step, but he should continue to provide enough defensive value to prevent him from being a true albatross. The organization crosses that bridge when it gets to it, not proactively addresses it, imo.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He would be a perfect fit in St. Louis. Not exactly
thrilled with the contract, though. What would Carolina want from the Blues in return?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad