Player Discussion Jordan Schroeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I actually think he plays like he belongs when he's with the club, and it's always a little weird when they send him back down, honestly. Seems like the one knock against him is his size, but this is a lot less of an issue than it was, say, 15 years ago. I'd really like to see the team stick with Schroeder going forward, as he could slide right into a Porter/Carter role, even spelling on the higher lines. In reality though, I think that you guys are right that he might just end up in Europe after his current contract is up.
Wow... totally disagree! I do not see an NHL player when I watch him with the Wild. Other than a couple flashes in a couple games a year ago... everything else has been basically... meh. He's NOT an NHL player at all from what I've seen.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Fair enough; agree to disagree :) He's never gonna lead the league in points or anything, but I just don't see how he can't "fit" at the NHL level. Again, I think the real knock against him is his size (I really took note of how lilliputian he looked last night), but he still plays a bit bigger than he is. If he can show something now that Yeo's gone guys without NMCs actually get a shot at playing time ( :sarcasm: ), he could eventually take over Fontaine's role.

That said, at this point in his career, I definitely see the argument in him heading over to Europe. I gotta think that as a Minnesota kid, if he weren't currently in the Wild's system, he may have already made the trip across the pond. I mean, it's everyone's dream to play in the NHL, but if you get to the point where it's a decision between riding buses across the Great Plains in the AHL and maybe playing 15 NHL games per year..... or living in Switzerland rent-free and being one of the better players in the league, the latter has got to start looking awfully enticing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this guy at all. He must play " the right way". He makes Fontaine looked like Hercules. I could understand it if he was finding open ice and capitalizing, but he ain't.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this guy at all. He must play " the right way". He makes Fontaine looked like Hercules. I could understand it if he was finding open ice and capitalizing, but he ain't.

I think he's looked decent. He's shifty, has good speed. He's been a part of a number of good scoring chances, they've just failed to capitalize.

I'd rather him than Stoll, Porter, Carter.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
But he is completely ineffective, and Torch doesn't trust his defensive game enough to put him on the PK. He's a munchkin, and plays like one. Carter and Porter can go into the corners and have a chance to outmuscle someone for a puck ...Schroeder is a physical nonentity at this level.

He's actually more of a top6 type talent, albeit a failed one. Just not equipped to be a grinder.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
But he is completely ineffective, and Torch doesn't trust his defensive game enough to put him on the PK. He's a munchkin, and plays like one. Carter and Porter can go into the corners and have a chance to outmuscle someone for a puck ...Schroeder is a physical nonentity at this level.

He's actually more of a top6 type talent, albeit a failed one. Just not equipped to be a grinder.

I don't want him to be a grinder, I want him/Fontaine/whomever is playing the 4th line trying to score, not trying to muck it up and waste time. Does everyone forget how succesful that 4th line was last year with Schroeder, Haula and Fontaine or various other skill players sprinkled in?

He's 5th on the team in Shots/60 during his limited time, his individual Corsi is 6th on the team, while starting the majority of the time in the d zone. He just happens to be shooting 5% right now.

Yes, he's a bit weak on the puck and isn't a physical presence. Big deal, by and large, individually he's generating pucks towards the net.

I just wish the Wild would take it a step further, and bench the boat anchor that is Jarret Stoll. We'd see a lot of success if we ran something like Zucker-Schroeder-Fontaine.

Or move Fontaine/Zucker up and throw David Jones down there if we need some "grit" on the line. Zucker-Schroeder-David Jones

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't want him to be a grinder, I want him/Fontaine/whomever is playing the 4th line trying to score, not trying to muck it up and waste time. Does everyone forget how succesful that 4th line was last year with Schroeder, Haula and Fontaine or various other skill players sprinkled in?

He's 5th on the team in Shots/60 during his limited time, his individual Corsi is 6th on the team, while starting the majority of the time in the d zone. He just happens to be shooting 5% right now.

Yes, he's a bit weak on the puck and isn't a physical presence. Big deal, by and large, individually he's generating pucks towards the net.

I just wish the Wild would take it a step further, and bench the boat anchor that is Jarret Stoll. We'd see a lot of success if we ran something like Zucker-Schroeder-Fontaine.

Or move Fontaine/Zucker up and throw David Jones down there if we need some "grit" on the line. Zucker-Schroeder-David Jones

Our fourth last year had Brodziak and Carter on it bringing some weight. Schroeder is an uber smurf

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Our fourth last year had Brodziak and Carter on it bringing some weight. Schroeder is an uber smurf

There was a long stretch in Febuary/March where Carter was hurt, and Brodziak played 3rd line with Vanek and Fontaine, where Schroeder-Haula/Coyle-Nino/Coyle in some variation were a line(sorry, Fontaine wasn't apart of it), and they were very good. Because they played a fast/skilled game from the 4th line position.

We could see something similiar, if we sat Stoll where he belonged.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I think he's looked decent. He's shifty, has good speed. He's been a part of a number of good scoring chances, they've just failed to capitalize.

I'd rather him than Stoll, Porter, Carter

Schroeder over Stoll, Porter or Carter? The other three all make an impact in the game but Schroeder unfortunately does not. He just does not and I hate to say it but he probably never will.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Schroeder over Stoll, Porter or Carter? The other three all make an impact in the game but Schroeder unfortunately does not. He just does not and I hate to say it but he probably never will.

Carter has a positive impact on the PK, the other two make a negative impact on the game.

Stoll has legitimately been one of the 10 worst players in theNHL this year. Every player that steps on the ice with him, immidietly sees a 10-20 point dip in their possession numbers. No amount of winning faceoffs can overcome that point.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Our C depth is so horrible

Is it though? Just because we don't have an elite guy does that mean our depth is bad? How many teams have a 3C as good as Haula? Koivu is one of the better all around guys and Granlund is talented as hell. I'm not sure I buy this narrative.

Arguably Ryan Carter/Stoll are above average in their 4th line C role as well.

Our depth guys aka 3rd and 4th line centers are about as best as you could hope for...I just don't see how you can form that opinion after actually trying to look at the facts. Can you explain your thinking to me? Because it seems like it's not based in much fact.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Our whole team is "by committee". Schrroeder brings nothing when he doesn't score. And, he doesn't score in the NHL.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Is it though? Just because we don't have an elite guy does that mean our depth is bad? How many teams have a 3C as good as Haula? Koivu is one of the better all around guys and Granlund is talented as hell. I'm not sure I buy this narrative.

Arguably Ryan Carter/Stoll are above average in their 4th line C role as well.

Our depth guys aka 3rd and 4th line centers are about as best as you could hope for...I just don't see how you can form that opinion after actually trying to look at the facts. Can you explain your thinking to me? Because it seems like it's not based in much fact.

By depth I mean guys who'll be called up if one of our regulars go down. Not much to look forward to in there before JEE gets to NA.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
By depth I mean guys who'll be called up if one of our regulars go down. Not much to look forward to in there before JEE gets to NA.

Ok fair. Thank you for specifying.

Although I think we're doing okay because of our flexibility. If things do go wrong we have options. Koivu, Granlund, Haula, Coyle, Carter, Stoll, and Graovac when healthy are all guys we can go to. Different roles for some of those guys obviously.

But yeah your overall point and what you were trying to say definitely stands.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That goal by Schroeder is exhibit A why him and Fontaine should be in the lineup over Porter/Carter/Stoll.

Zero chance they make that play. Now if only we could dump Stoll and get Zucker in there as well

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
That goal by Schroeder is exhibit A why him and Fontaine should be in the lineup over Porter/Carter/Stoll.

Zero chance they make that play. Now if only we could dump Stoll and get Zucker in there as well

Agreed. My main worry about Schroeder now that we've had a bunch of games in a row to analyze is that I am kind of seeing the argument about him being a really good amateur and AHL player, but not quite good enough to be that same player in the NHL. It does seem like he needs just an extra half-second of time to make a play (despite being probably the fastest guy on the team). His missed goal earlier and a couple of iffy passes make the argument. On the other hand (what is frustrating about players like him), he has made a ton of great plays, as well.

Slick Willy*

It's really a shame - there's so much talent there. Had he just been blessed with a couple more inches in height I think he could have had a solid NHL career. It's possible he's still a guy that can have a career in the league like Theo Fleury or Johnny Hockey - we'll see. Johnny Hockey is only 5'-9" and Schroeder is just an inch smaller than him.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
It's really a shame - there's so much talent there. Had he just been blessed with a couple more inches in height I think he could have had a solid NHL career. It's possible he's still a guy that can have a career in the league like Theo Fleury or Johnny Hockey - we'll see. Johnny Hockey is only 5'-9" and Schroeder is just an inch smaller than him.

The thing is, he's not quite as "tenacious" as Fleury, nor quite as skilled as Gudreau. I'm a huge supporter and would love to see him score 20 goals in the NHL some day, but more and more I'm just not sure he'll ever stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad