Jordan Schroeder

Wetcoaster

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
Torts on #Canucks Schroeder: 'he wants to play. But I need something to hang my hat on in terms of consistency.'

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Torts on #Canucks Schroeder: 'he wants to play. But I need something to hang my hat on in terms of consistency.'

"He's so inconsistent. Some nights he plays 15 minutes, some nights only 3. Some nights he doesn't even dress!"

:sarcasm:

Wetcoaster

"He's so inconsistent. Some nights he plays 15 minutes, some nights only 3. Some nights he doesn't even dress!"

:sarcasm:
So he is consistently like former Canuck Golden Child, Cody Hodgson??? :naughty:

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Are we making the Derek Roy comparison for JS now?
I would think he's like David Desharnais if everything works out for him.

He hasn't shown anything to suggest that he'd be as good as Roy or even Desharnais unfortunately. JS hasn't been dominate in the AHL nor has he pushed the offence in the NHL.

Gilbert Brule.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
This post is not saying Schroeder is as good as Nyquist. Just thought it was interesting to see Nyquist emerging 5 years post draft, and thought it'd be a shame if we didn't hang on to Schroeder that long and see how he progresses. It's too bad he's not logging a workload like Nyquist did last year though. In case it's not obvious, the number before the year is "years post draft".

I say again, this post is not saying Schroeder is as good as Nyquist.

Schroeder

0 2009-10 Manitoba Moose AHL 11 4 5 9
1 2010-11 Manitoba Moose AHL 61 10 18 28
2 2011-12 Chicago Wolves AHL 76 21 23 44
3 2012-13 Chicago Wolves AHL 42 12 21 33
3 2012-13 Vancouver Canucks NHL 31 3 6 9
4 2013-14 Utica Comets* AHL 2 0 1 1
4 2013-14 Vancouver Canucks NHL 24 3 3 6

Hockey Superstar and Detroit Model(TM) Poster Boy Gustav Nyquist

2 2010-11 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 8 1 3 4
3 2011-12 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 56 22 36 58
3 2011-12 Detroit Red Wings NHL 18 1 6 7
4 2012-13 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 58 23 37 60
4 2012-13 Detroit Red Wings NHL 22 3 3 6
5 2013-14 Grand Rapids Griffins* AHL 15 7 14 21
5 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings NHL 51 28 18 46

edit: Sorry the numbers don't line up, you get the gist.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This post is not saying Schroeder is as good as Nyquist. Just thought it was interesting to see Nyquist emerging 5 years post draft, and thought it'd be a shame if we didn't hang on to Schroeder that long and see how he progresses. It's too bad he's not logging a workload like Nyquist did last year though. In case it's not obvious, the number before the year is "years post draft".

I say again, this post is not saying Schroeder is as good as Nyquist.

Schroeder

0 2009-10 Manitoba Moose AHL 11 4 5 9
1 2010-11 Manitoba Moose AHL 61 10 18 28
2 2011-12 Chicago Wolves AHL 76 21 23 44
3 2012-13 Chicago Wolves AHL 42 12 21 33
3 2012-13 Vancouver Canucks NHL 31 3 6 9
4 2013-14 Utica Comets* AHL 2 0 1 1
4 2013-14 Vancouver Canucks NHL 24 3 3 6

Hockey Superstar and Detroit Model(TM) Poster Boy Gustav Nyquist

2 2010-11 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 8 1 3 4
3 2011-12 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 56 22 36 58
3 2011-12 Detroit Red Wings NHL 18 1 6 7
4 2012-13 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 58 23 37 60
4 2012-13 Detroit Red Wings NHL 22 3 3 6
5 2013-14 Grand Rapids Griffins* AHL 15 7 14 21
5 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings NHL 51 28 18 46

edit: Sorry the numbers don't line up, you get the gist.

So you are telling me JS is as good as nyquist then right...:laugh:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Come on Schroeder is nowhere near as good as Nyquist!!! ;)

Seriously, while I do think Schroeder has a steep slope ahead of him to be an NHL player it does illustrate how ridiculous people can be when it comes to younger players. Some do need more than 3 or 4 years to be NHL players. But he has a tough road ahead because given his age and lack of accomplishments thus far he needs to wow the coaching staff (whoever it may be) in camp or if he does get sent down wow them with his play in the minors. Organizations typically aren't as quick as fans to judge but at this point they will be casting a serious eye over what else is coming in the organization.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
So you are telling me JS is as good as nyquist then right...:laugh:

Come on Schroeder is nowhere near as good as Nyquist!!! ;)

Seriously, while I do think Schroeder has a steep slope ahead of him to be an NHL player it does illustrate how ridiculous people can be when it comes to younger players. Some do need more than 3 or 4 years to be NHL players. But he has a tough road ahead because given his age and lack of accomplishments thus far he needs to wow the coaching staff (whoever it may be) in camp or if he does get sent down wow them with his play in the minors. Organizations typically aren't as quick as fans to judge but at this point they will be casting a serious eye over what else is coming in the organization.

I knew I should have said it three times ;)

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
All my complaints (and Torts' probably) come down to size and compete level, two things that can't be taught and two things that will probably prevent Schroeder from becoming a day to day NHLer. I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen much from him this year.

However, if he does have a small glimmer of hope, it's the fact that Gillis is supposedly going to return the speed and skill game that got them to the Finals.

Also, I've been saying it for the past two seasons, if he doesn't learn to play the wing better and become more versatile, he's really making it extra hard on himself.

As for Nyquist, he put up two PPG seasons at the AHL level, was ripping it up again this season before getting called up and didn't look back. Schroeder simply doesn't have the body of work to make a good comparison.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
All my complaints (and Torts' probably) come down to size and compete level, two things that can't be taught and two things that will probably prevent Schroeder from becoming a day to day NHLer. I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen much from him this year.

However, if he does have a small glimmer of hope, it's the fact that Gillis is supposedly going to return the speed and skill game that got them to the Finals.

Also, I've been saying it for the past two seasons, if he doesn't learn to play the wing better and become more versatile, he's really making it extra hard on himself.

As for Nyquist, he put up two PPG seasons at the AHL level, was ripping it up again this season before getting called up and didn't look back. Schroeder simply doesn't have the body of work to make a good comparison.

I don't think you are wrong, there is huge holes in his game at the moment, I just think, and not sure if my message has been lost here, that at 54 games played, its too early to give up on him.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

large.jpg

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Was hoping he'd show some progress this year, instead he's left me feeling like Kevin Sorbo:

images

Really needs to step up next season, or his future in the NHL will be looking pretty grim.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
I think he gets another season with this organization. He has had a rough start to his pro career with the injuries but the reason we picked this kid was a good one: high skill for his draft position, not weak despite his shortness, good offensive showing against his college peers.

Every team needs cheap talent and Schroeder fits that description.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If he re-signs for 600k or so, I think he'll be back. I certainly think you could do a lot, lot worse than having JS as a bottom 6/extra forward at that price.

so basically he's consigned to andrew ebbett/ryan shannon/jason krog status? can't say i disagree. sorry you never got to live in orange county, jordan. but i hope you enjoy switzerland; i hear it is quite nice too.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
so basically he's consigned to andrew ebbett/ryan shannon/jason krog status? can't say i disagree. sorry you never got to live in orange county, jordan. but i hope you enjoy switzerland; i hear it is quite nice too.

If I was ever lucky enough to be a failed hockey player, I'd be ecstatic to end up in Switzerland.

I would imagine Schroeder will get another shot in the NHL next season before Europe becomes an option.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

If it is true that smaller players take longer to establish themselves I could see them going this route with him. But he has to keep working at his issues like Santo did.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If I was ever lucky enough to be a failed hockey player, I'd be ecstatic to end up in Switzerland.

I would imagine Schroeder will get another shot in the NHL next season before Europe becomes an option.

yeah me too. columbus vs. basel or zurich or bern? tough call, right?

If it is true that smaller players take longer to establish themselves I could see them going this route with him. But he has to keep working at his issues like Santo did.

i say this all the time, but i just can't see the upside of holding onto schroeder if he doesn't learn how to play wing.

this is a city that loves a cliff ronning-type, and cliffy remains one of my favourite players of all time. but i don't think even think prime ronning could have been an impact center on a competitive team in today's NHL.

and if you look at statistically successful small centers post-lockout, you're basically talking about a guy like derek roy or david desharnais. guys who put up points as frontline players on teams that don't make the playoffs or that get bounced quickly. sure schroeder could be that guy if all goes right, but would we want him to?

if you look at roy specifically, the only time a guy like that could play on a competitive team was the first two years of the lockout, before the game got bigger and slower, and he was only the third line center behind briere and drury (and sometimes also connolly), plus his wingers were vanek and max afinogenov. when the game slows down and roy inherits the top center role, the sabres become uncompetitive, then downright bad.

and briere and andy mcdonald are the only recent small centers who were the first line guy on a competitive team (that i can think of). but notice that they both turn into wingers once the game slows down and closes up. ditto cammalleri, who made all that playoff noise in montreal on the wing. schroeder should hunt down steve sullivan and spend the summer learning from him how to make that transition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad