Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Schroeder Recalled

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, Raymond and Hansen are good together because they're both speedy and pretty skilled at both ends of the ice. They've looked good with anyone they've played with.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I understand the desire to have our young players be given the best opportunity on the team in the choice positions. We all want the young players to have immediate success.
However, we've done well with players like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen etc proving their worth and then moving up the lineup. Raymond last year is another good example. Heck, even the Sedins who were top draft picks started out on the third line. I like the fact that nothing gets handed to our young players. Kassian and Schroeder will both have to earn it.

With all due respect, I have some doubts about citing those players for giving AV credit towards developing young talent.

Sedins were top picks, and weren't typical 3rd liners, and would have never succeeded in any defensive role. They were only on the 3rd line b/c Cassels was still a Canuck.

Kesler and Burrows developed more once Naslund and Morrison left - i.e. once ice-time was given to them. Both made the league as bottom 6 talents (their offense came later) so they weren't necessarily "skill-first" players. They were 3rd liners who broke out offensively.

Raymond broke out playing with Kesler (in a top 6 role) in his breakout year.

Hansen is another example of a defense-first player developing offensively.

So I guess the jury is out when it comes to Schroeder getting the proper chance he deserves, but I think one thing that is evident with all the names mentioned here, is that guys take 2-3 years at a minimum before we can decide whether they can play or not.

Problem is, for a guy like JS, he's not meant to be a bottom-6 player and won't succeed at that role, so the issue is that he might never get that chance.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
With all due respect, I have some doubts about citing those players for giving AV credit towards developing young talent.
Sedins were top picks, and weren't typical 3rd liners, and would have never succeeded in any defensive role. They were only on the 3rd line b/c Cassels was still a Canuck.

Kesler and Burrows developed more once Naslund and Morrison left - i.e. once ice-time was given to them. Both made the league as bottom 6 talents (their offense came later) so they weren't necessarily "skill-first" players. They were 3rd liners who broke out offensively.

So I guess the jury is out when it comes to Schroeder getting the proper chance he deserves, but I think one thing that is evident with all the names mentioned here, is that guys take 2-3 years at a minimum before we can decide whether they can play or not.

Problem is, for a guy like JS, he's not meant to be a bottom-6 player and won't succeed at that role, so the issue is that he might never get that chance.

I wasn't really giving the credit to AV. As you note this has been going on for some time now.
My main point is that other players have had to work their way up the lineup. This is only Schroeder's first year with the team. If he wants to make it as a center then unless Kesler gets moved to the wing he'll have to make it as our third line center. I agree that realistically we need to be patient with him. I'm cautiously optimistic with what I've seen.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

I like Schroeder but he is not the solution to the problems on this team right now.You cant fix a leaky boat with a small band aide.This team has been playing like crap for awhile.Dont tell me MG is waiting for the TDL to come,he should have been fixing this with trades like weeks ago.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
^^^

Agreed, that seems to be the biggest problem. Thusfar, it looks like Gillis has bet and lost by hanging onto Luongo and not upgrading the team's depth.

Suitors like Toronto could be off the market now, and other veteran goalies might be on the market (Miller/Kipper).

All the while, the Canucks struggle to make the playoffs.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You completely missed my point or just didn't read the next post. He would've been more in a position to succeed on the 2nd unit or with no PP time at all. Just because you're on the 1st PP unit doesn't mean you're in a position to succeed.

Being given an opportunity to make a difference is not the same as being put in a position to succeed.

I understand your point I just don't think it is particularly persuasive. As I already stated, Schroeder hasn't just been used on the point on the powerplay. He has also been used on the side boards (across from Henrik) and in the high slot. In fact, I remember debating with you about Schroeder's usage in the high slot and I believe you said that the Canucks were misusing him there as well. Do you think he was misused being put on the half boards across from Henrik as well?

There is a fine line between being "misused" and being put in a position to succeed and failing (and I am hesitant to use the word "fail", as I don't think Schroeder has been a complete failure). The fact that you are suggesting that Schroeder hasn't been put in a position to succeed implies that Schroeder could succeed on the powerplay if placed in the right position. But is this assumption even true? Schroeder hasn't been able to produce offensively on the powerplay under either Arniel or MacTavish (IIRC), so why would he be able to produce in a much more competitive league?

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I did a little research on HF boards.

It's funny how common "coach X doesn't know how to develop (use, play etc etc.) x young player" really is. Have a look for yourselves some time.

:nod:

As an Oiler fan, our board is constantly filled with these. However, given our recent history, that should not be surprising. :(

I see it on every team thread. It's a universal law or something.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
:nod:

As an Oiler fan, our board is constantly filled with these. However, given our recent history, that should not be surprising. :(

I see it on every team thread. It's a universal law or something.

There's two universal laws:
1. Coach <> plays plugs over talented young players.
2. The refs have it in for our team.

You see it on almost very board.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
True!
And I forgot one more universal law:
3. 4th liner or number 6 defenceman who play limited minutes are always to blame for every loss. :)

4. Universal law. The coach should trade an unwanted asset for future hall of famer to put the team over the top.

Everybody says MG needs to improve the team NOW. There is seldom a Hamuis for White trade available. In fact, when a team is doing poorly, that's when GM's get fleeced.

Dado

The fact that you are suggesting that Schroeder hasn't been put in a position to succeed...

...means that Schroeder is by definition a limited player. Really good players make their own success out of whatever circumstance they are in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad