Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Schroeder Recalled

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This must mean that Kassian's injuries arent that bad considering that we arent calling anyone else up :dunno:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
At first I was really glad, then I realized AV will just play him on the fourth line, and people will again start saying why isn't he putting up better numbers...

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I did a little research on HF boards.

It's funny how common "coach X doesn't know how to develop (use, play etc etc.) x young player" really is. Have a look for yourselves some time.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I did a little research on HF boards.

It's funny how common "coach X doesn't know how to develop (use, play etc etc.) x young player" really is. Have a look for yourselves some time.

Oh I agree completely, people always want their favorite players to succeed so it's easier to blame the coach then the prospect. AV may of done a really good thing here, he gave Jordan a taste of good wingers (Hansen/Booth/Raymond) but when he didnt produce he was replaced and sent back down. I think being harder on a guy like Schroeder who still has a ton of potential over a guy like Ebbett is good. Schroeder knows that opportunities wont just get handed to him, he needs to work for his ice time and produce when put in a scoring role. He went back down to the Wolves and put up points, and now he's back. Reward and punishment played out quite well imo.

just a theory though

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I'm expecting Schroeder to play better, his last 10 games in the NHL were simply not NHL calibre.

Sedins - Burrows
Raymond - Ebbett - Hansen
Higgins - Schroeder - Kassian
Sestito/Weise - Lappy - Pinni

Give Schroeder some sheltered minutes with some wingers who can cycle and finish.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
This call up means one thing.
Gillis can't or won't make a trade.
This team is not making the playoffs without some serious moves.
After Hank, center is a disaster.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Oh I agree completely, people always want their favorite players to succeed so it's easier to blame the coach then the prospect. AV may of done a really good thing here, he gave Jordan a taste of good wingers (Hansen/Booth/Raymond) but when he didnt produce he was replaced and sent back down. I think being harder on a guy like Schroeder who still has a ton of potential over a guy like Ebbett is good. Schroeder knows that opportunities wont just get handed to him, he needs to work for his ice time and produce when put in a scoring role. He went back down to the Wolves and put up points, and now he's back. Reward and punishment played out quite well imo.

just a theory though

I really want our young players to succeed, we need it long term big time.

I don't believe throwing them into matchups that are over their head when playing poorly though. Getting burned every game all over the ice is the worst thing for a player's development IMHO.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I don't believe throwing them into matchups that are over their head when playing poorly though. Getting burned every game all over the ice is the worst thing for a player's development IMHO.

I agree completely, also don't want our prospects to feel entitled and get complacent while up here, not saying Schroeder is that type of guy, but it is a decent way to ruin a prospect if they are handed everything no matter how they preform

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm expecting Schroeder to play better, his last 10 games in the NHL were simply not NHL calibre.

interesting that the time frame you gave correlates nicely with him being on the fourth line, I would expect his play to drop playing with Sestito and Weise

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Playing on the 4th line doesn't help them succeed either.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Maybe not, but a coach has more issues to juggle than just honing in on one player and trying to give him the ideal circumstances to score points.

I would think you of all people would agree pauser. If they aren't getting results they should probably be playing in the AHL and getting more ice time. If injuries come fast and furious then it's not as easy to do that though. Maybe some players have to play on the 4th line when it wouldn't be ideal because it gives us a better chance of winning games than them getting better ice time in the AHL?

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Playing on the 4th line doesn't help them succeed either.

I don't know about that - every recent homegrown Canuck has started there.

Kesler, Hansen, Burrows, Grabner. Bieksa, Tanev and Edler all started out on the bottom pairing. Only the Sedins didn't and Schroeder isn't as gifted offensively as the twins.

The 4th line is a great place to shelter Schroeder from other teams especially when he gets 1st PP time with the Sedins.

I think until Schroeder shows something at the NHL level a role as a 4th line C is great. When Kesler comes back he might be given more of a Hodgson (when he was being showcased) role.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

just a theory though
Wasn't bad defensively and the line at least *looked* like they *could* score. They just didn't.

Is that really worse than an offensive line that doesn't produce AND doesn't look like they could?

The thing with AV is that if he doesn't any confidence in you (doesn't have to be a rookie, he's shown that same doghouse treatment to vets) - you're living on borrowed time. However that isn't different from how alot of coaches operate.

Problem happens when the vets/rookies he does trust - stop listening to him and just 'go through the motions'. I've said this before multiple times, it's one thing to lose games because the other team simply outclasses you (eg., Chicago); it's another to lose games because you don't give a **** to teams that you're pretty much on the same level or better (eg., Red Wings, Blue Jackets, etc.,).

Easy to change coaches than to change rosters.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Wasn't bad defensively and the line at least *looked* like they *could* score. They just didn't.

Is that really worse than an offensive line that doesn't produce AND doesn't look like they could?

The thing with AV is that if he doesn't any confidence in you (doesn't have to be a rookie, he's shown that same doghouse treatment to vets) - you're living on borrowed time. However that isn't different from how alot of coaches operate.

Problem happens when the vets/rookies he does trust - stop listening to him and just 'go through the motions'. I've said this before multiple times, it's one thing to lose games because the other team simply outclasses you (eg., Chicago); it's another to lose games because you don't give a **** to teams that you're pretty much on the same level or better (eg., Red Wings, Blue Jackets, etc.,).

Easy to change coaches than to change rosters.

I agree with you, and also think AV has a tendency to play favorites. I would also argue that Schroeder was getting chances when playing with good wingers and was solid defensively. I think a lot of these AV favs have really gotten complacent because they know that they are in no danger of getting demoted. I was just trying to look at it from a pro-AV side, chances are good and looking like a dangerous line is important and significantly better than most of the lines we are throwing out there but production is key if you want to be on a scoring line. I think Schroeder will do good with this opportunity (assuming AV gives him an actual one), but I don't necessarily think that he has completely mishandled Schroeder thus far.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
People said that AV was handling CoHo poorly and he was in his doghouse etc etc.

The next season he put up .5 ppg with the Canucks as the 3rd line centre.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Ed Willes keeps bashing our system and referring to hockey news 29th ranking. I disagree with those. I'd take the Canucks system and prospects over at least 5-10 other teams right now.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Ed Willes keeps bashing our system and referring to hockey news 29th ranking. I disagree with those. I'd take the Canucks system and prospects over at least 5-10 other teams right now.
That really isn't that much better as that would still make us somewhere between medicore to bad instead of one of the worst.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Well, Ed Willes and the hockey news ranking are stupid, but I'd say there's probably 5 teams max with worse prospect hauls.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Prospect list rankings don`t worry me, I have seen lots of "great systems" never amount to anything. Some of the same teams, over and over and over :)

Everyone is always so concerned with "the window" but I am convinced that when the time comes Gillis will make a retooling as quick and painless as possible. A lot is going to happen between now and the time we change direction with our key players.

We have a couple good prospects and one that has the potential to be good.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
That really isn't that much better as that would still make us somewhere between medicore to bad instead of one of the worst.

Given where we've been drafting and barely had any picks in 2010, that isn't that bad. We're really only missing a blue chip first line young forward. Which we'll most likely get with one of our goalies. Every other position has depth and NHL bound players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad