Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Schroeder Recalled

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
we could play jordan for 60 minutes a night - that's all bonus ice time yeah! go succeed oh wait he's dead

opportunity to succeed != responsibility. they aren't exclusive but they cover very different things.

I understand the desire to have our young players be given the best opportunity on the team in the choice positions. We all want the young players to have immediate success.
However, we've done well with players like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen etc proving their worth and then moving up the lineup. Raymond last year is another good example. Heck, even the Sedins who were top draft picks started out on the third line. I like the fact that nothing gets handed to our young players. Kassian and Schroeder will both have to earn it.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Lines should look like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Ebbett
Sestito-Pinizzotto-Weise

If AV has any logic to his line choices...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I understand the desire to have our young players be given the best opportunity on the team in the choice positions.
However, we've done well with players like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen etc proving their worth and then moving up the lineup. Raymond last year is another good example. Heck, even the Sedins who were top draft picks started out on the third line. I like the fact that nothing gets handed to our young players.

The point being made is that he would've been more in a 'position to succeed' on the 2nd unit than he was on the 1st on the point. Just because you get put out there on the 1st unit doesn't automatically mean you're being put in a position to succeed.

Hell, he would've been more in a position to succeed with no PP time because then nobody would actually criticize him for not producing on a PP where nobody else was producing either.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
we could play jordan for 60 minutes a night - that's all bonus ice time yeah! go succeed oh wait he's dead

opportunity to succeed != responsibility. they aren't exclusive but they cover very different things.

Laughed harder than I should've at that. :laugh:

-----------------------

And c'mon, seriously, putting a small rookie centre on the point on your failing PP isn't doing him or the PP any favours. That 4th line posting was just plain stupid. It's not just about giving Schroeder the best opportunity, it's about using him for what he's actually good for. And 4th line banging and crashing obviously isn't it. AV seems to have it in his head that anyone coming up from the minors has to do it the Kesler/Burrows route when the natural aptitude just isn't there for that. I don't like that playing with decent offensive players has to be thought of as something that needs to be earned, as though the lines from 4 to 1 are thought of as hierarchical rather than functional. It shouldn't be "You need to work your way up through the lines" it should be "Here's what you're good at, so here's what you should be doing" imho.

Raymond--Schroeder--Hansen. Just do it, AV. Use your head, man.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
AV started him with Raymond and gave him PP time. His effectiveness dwindled and he ended up on the 4th line. This is what coaching is. Jordan was not bringing enough to warrant anymore than 4th line ice time. Hopefully this round he's a bit better.

Still rather have him in the line-up over Ebbett though.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
It's hard to blame Schroeder's play for regressing (as compared to his start of the season) in the NHL when the team he's playing with is disorganized and listless, and then he's obviously misused on the 4th line and on the point of the PP.

If the vets look confused out there, what do you expect out of the rookies?

I do also agree that when he's up here, he's got to keep his legs moving and stay focused. He wasn't skating nearly as much in his last few games up here. Also, as Orcatown stated, he might not have that much offense to give, so he'd better backcheck like a demon.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The PP wasn't working prior to him being on it and he was put out of position, in what possible universe is that an opportunity to succeed? An opportunity to succeed is being put on the 1st line with the Sedins playing at their best, or being put as a trigger-man on an otherwise working PP, or playing next to Crosby/Malkin.

He was given an opportunity to make a difference but that's very different from being put in a position to succeed.

Your standard for being put in a position to succeed is incredibly high. Playing with the Sedins when they are at their best = playing with two Art Ross winners. Playing with Crosby/Malkin? That is just unreasonable. I agree with vanwest, being played on the number one PP is being given a chance to succeed. What more does Alain Vigneault have to do? What more CAN he do? Why does Schroeder deserve anything more?

You don't see how you saying that makes no sense?

He's getting put on the point on the PP. That isn't his game or his position.

It'd be like calling up Corrado and putting him on the Sedin's wing....it just doesn't make sense.

If they put him in front of the net as the screen, maybe that's a bit better place to succeed, but playing him on the point was not, and still won't be if they try it again.

This is rubbish. Schroeder hasn't only being played on the point, he has also being played on the farside (where Kesler used to play) AND was tried out in the high slot. He hasn't succeeded in any of these three spots, but yet people continue to complain that he isn't being "given a chance."

Will guess what? Schroeder also hasn't succeeded on the PP under either of his two AHL coaches. Did they also not "give him a chance"?

When will people start questioning Schroeder's skill set? Surely we can't blame the coaches he has played under for the last 5 or so years....Perhaps he just isn't that talented?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I am not declaring him a bust. I like Schroeder, has a reasonable amount of skill, good speed, and seems determined. I just think his offensive potential is rather limited. Still a useful player.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Hell, he would've been more in a position to succeed with no PP time because then nobody would actually criticize him for not producing on a PP where nobody else was producing either.

To be fair the whole PP unit has been heavily criticized.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Your standard for being put in a position to succeed is incredibly high. Playing with the Sedins when they are at their best = playing with two Art Ross winners. Playing with Crosby/Malkin? That is just unreasonable. I agree with vanwest, being played on the number one PP is being given a chance to succeed. What more does Alain Vigneault have to do? What more CAN he do? Why does Schroeder deserve anything more?

This is rubbish. Schroeder hasn't only being played on the point, he has also being played on the farside (where Kesler used to play) AND was tried out in the high slot. He hasn't succeeded in any of these three spots, but yet people continue to complain that he isn't being "given a chance."

Will guess what? Schroeder also hasn't succeeded on the PP under either of his two AHL coaches. Did they also not "give him a chance"?

When will people start questioning Schroeder's skill set? Surely we can't blame the coaches he has played under for the last 5 or so years....Perhaps he just isn't that talented?

I agree with most of your post. But I think it's still too early to start questioning his skillset. I was pretty doubtful as to whether he would be able to make the jump this year but to date he's exceeded my expectations. His defensive play is solid and offensively he looks poised with passing the puck. I was worried about his ability to handle the physical nature of the game but he's shown that it no concern. Obviously, he needs to score more to succeed in the top 9 but he's shown enough for me at least to be optimistic.

In his first call up I think he did very well. His consistency started to fade before he was sent down. I'm excited to see if he can play like he did when he was first called up. For most players, the first jump up to the NHL is plagued wih inconsitency. I'm still pretty optimistic on Schroeder.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The point being made is that he would've been more in a 'position to succeed' on the 2nd unit than he was on the 1st on the point. Just because you get put out there on the 1st unit doesn't automatically mean you're being put in a position to succeed.

i fear your point has been lost in very bad implied reading by uh, everyone else here.

dont worry, at least i understood

Champions written all over it

sedins are pretty much equipped this season to 2man drag the team all the way to the cup so yeah

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
i fear your point has been lost in very bad implied reading by uh, everyone else here.

dont worry, at least i understood

sedins are pretty much equipped this season to 2man drag the team all the way to the cup so yeah

I have read what you have posted about the twins around lately, Very interesting thank you, I hope they keep it up and it starts to translate, and they get credit they deserve.

What will really happen is that teams will play a game plan to shut down the Sedins, making them look past there prime, then Kesler will come back, and with the extra room for his line (created by trying to shutdown the Sedins) he will look like a beast and every one will start to gush that he is the only playoff performer and the twins are bust in the post season.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I have an idea, let's call up Jensen, and playing him #1 dman time with Hamhius... he should be thankful for the chance at that many minutes right?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

You completely missed my point or just didn't read the next post. He would've been more in a position to succeed on the 2nd unit or with no PP time at all. Just because you're on the 1st PP unit doesn't mean you're in a position to succeed.

Being given an opportunity to make a difference is not the same as being put in a position to succeed.

professorchaos

Nov 22, 2011
Langley
Since this will be a roster similar to the start of the season, I wonder if AV will use a similar line-up? I wonder if he remembers how many games were won when Tanev and Ballard were partners, when Schroeder and Raymond were on the same line, when Higgins and Hansen were forechecking machines. Lol, of course not. Dan Bylsma he is not.

Co Ho*

Since this will be a roster similar to the start of the season, I wonder if AV will use a similar line-up? I wonder if he remembers how many games were won when Tanev and Ballard were partners, when Schroeder and Raymond were on the same line, when Higgins and Hansen were forechecking machines. Lol, of course not. Dan Bylsma he is not.

It's hard to argue against the efficiency and chemistry of Ebbett and Raymond/Hansen. We've only seen them in a few games but they've looked good, I'd be wary of changing that.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
OMG, what a novel concept! We carry 4 centers when Kesler And Manny are hurt, and we put the career AHL guy on the 4th line and the prospect with offensive upside on the 2nd line with linemates he's already proven effective with!

Crazy.

professorchaos

Nov 22, 2011
Langley
It's hard to argue against the efficiency and chemistry of Ebbett and Raymond/Hansen. We've only seen them in a few games but they've looked good, I'd be wary of changing that.

If by a few games you mean one game against the Predators, then yes they looked good (although the first play was all Hansen). However, Schroeder and Raymond not only looked good together they were able to help the team close out some wins. The team has played its best hockey with the aformentioned pairs, why not go back to it?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Giving Schroeder 4th line minutes and first PP time is a formula for an old fart with no gas left in the tank but still has great hands.

See: Andrew Brunette, Alex Kovalev, etc

arsmaster*

If by a few games you mean one game against the Predators, then yes they looked good (although the first play was all Hansen). However, Schroeder and Raymond not only looked good together they were able to help the team close out some wins. The team has played its best hockey with the aformentioned pairs, why not go back to it?

But that also coincided with the Twins playing with Kassian and Burrows centering another line....why not go back to that as well.

We were winning.

Co Ho*

Eh, Schroeder and Raymond looked good for the first half of the games they played together and then they started to slow down and weren't that great. Raymond has looked great lately in his current role, I wouldn't want to mess with that. Maybe try juggling the lines if the Canucks can't get it going tonight.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Eh, Schroeder and Raymond looked good for the first half of the games they played together and then they started to slow down and weren't that great.

Which happened right after Hansen was taken off that line. All three players then proceeded to play worse until Schroeder was demoted and Hansen and Raymond reunited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad