Confirmed with Link: Jordan Leopold to STL for draft picks (2nd, conditional 5th)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I expected the 2nd rd pick, the conditional 5th is a nice addition. It had to be done, but now the big question is what can they do with those picks. After getting a 1st, or 2nd + for Regehr, Regier will have leeway to flip them for top prospects. Guess that will depend on draft day and who's on the board and such.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Nope. For draft pick purposes losing in the second round is the same as losing in the first round.

It goes:
30--SC Winner
29--SC Runner up
27-28--Conference Final Runners up (by points)

Then come any leftover division winners (by points) who got eliminated in the first 2 rounds.

And finally all the other playoff teams (by points) eliminated in the first 2 rounds.
Aw okay, well then I hope they miss the playoffs!

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm a moderate Darcy supporter, but I frankly don't see how he deserves much credit for this trade. He got what's probably market value for a player who's unnecessary to the team for the remainder of this season and wouldn't have been back next year.

He gets credit, in my eyes, for moving an impending UFA who isn't in the future plans in exchange for quantifiable assets that can help the team in a variety of ways.

It's also...very un-Regier like. First, he concedes, in no uncertain terms, that the goal is to rebuild for next year and even beyond (which is not something he has done to my memory)... then, he actually executes a deal that indicates "we're sellers"...

gotta give him credit IMO

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He gets credit, in my eyes, for moving an impending UFA who isn't in the future plans in exchange for quantifiable assets that can help the team in a variety of ways.

It's also...very un-Regier like. First, he concedes, in no uncertain terms, that the goal is to rebuild for next year and even beyond (which is not something he has done to my memory)... then, he actually executes a deal that indicates "we're sellers"...

gotta give him credit IMO

What he did is so thoroughly standard procedure for GMs though, so I just don't see it as being worthy of much kudos. That he seemingly recognized the team should not make moves for a playoff push might be slightly out of character (not entirely though, last year he traded Gaustad when the team was making a crazy run from the basement to the playoffs), but it's what he's supposed to do in this situation.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
What he did is so thoroughly standard procedure for GMs though, so I just don't see it as being worthy of much kudos. That he seemingly recognized the team should not make moves for a playoff push might be slightly out of character (not entirely though, last year he traded Gaustad when the team was making a crazy run from the basement to the playoffs), but it's what he's supposed to do in this situation.

What he's supposed to do, versus what he actually does - as you well know - are usually very different.

What's more... did you value Leopold as worthy of a 2nd round pick and likely a 4th as well? I certainly didn't. Seems like he got a pretty good value, if you want to look at how Leo had been performing on the ice.

Also... doesn't doing "the right thing" or doing "what's supposed to be done" deserve credit? Maybe not, if you don't like to commend people for simply doing their jobs, which is understandable. But to me, in this line of business, I give credit to trades like this... :dunno:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I would totally agree, except that Leopold has been traded for a 2nd rd pick (only) twice before while he was in his prime and playing better. He's been almost terrible this season, older, but Regier actually got an additional pick this time. Not a total steal, but pretty solid.

Now let's see if he can get around Regehr's NMC.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I was just going to start a thread today stating that I was worried Darcy wasn't going to do much since he really hadn't done anything yet....

But this is a start anyways....Let's hope he keeps showing players the door...... :nod:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
So does Regier get credit for this? Or does the anti Regier crowd spin a web of excuses and stretched truths :dunno:

Granted, overall, Regier should be fired, but this is a fair deal

I will give him credit for the deal but he's been here long enough...He' a big part of the reason we are in the FIRE SALE mode now.....Personally I would have liked to see him go with Ruff.....But if he can clean out a bunch of this mess he created for picks and prospects that's fine....I still want him fired after the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad