Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Made my prediction for Eberle above, but I have to say that Tavares has studdered in collecting points for several seasons in a row.

I am not convinced that he's gonna get to that 90-point level until he has guys around him who are, well, better/more creative offensive generators.

Eberle is as good a try at reaching that as anyone on the market at the moment.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Saying that Malkin isn't a 1st liner is ridiculous, it's like saying Halak is an AHL goaltender.

There are a few defensemen who outscored him...let's be honest Eberle got to play on a stacked Edmonton offense and was lackluster. Again I'm not saying he's a terrible player (2nd line caliber players are certainly good), I'm just saying let's keep things into perspective. After all, I saw the same exact arguments for Ladd last off-season and I don't think anybody at this point would say he was 1st liner quality last year.

Malkin would absolutely be the top line center on most NHL teams, but that wasn't the point. You're judging Eberle against players that don't play the same position as him, then saying he's not a 1st liner.

Where is Eberle on the RW depth chart is the question, not how many NHLers outscored him. Eberle is a first line RW when comparing him to RW players. Just like Malkin would be a first line center when comparing him to other NHL centers.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Am I the only one who wouldn't be totally suprised if Beau is in Bridgeport this year bc Barzal outplayed him in camp?

You are not.

But imo if Barzal beats out Beau, then Chimmer should be the one bumped out - not Beau.

Chimmer bleeds shots against to the point where his 20 goals are irrelevant. Guy is not a good player at all and should not be on the ice given the depth we have.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Am I the only one who wouldn't be totally suprised if Beau is in Bridgeport this year bc Barzal outplayed him in camp?

That's the rumor floating around. I'll be annoyed if it happens. Guy has earned his spot. Still though, it's a good spot to be in. As much as I love Beau's game and believe he's an NHL player right now, it also doesn't mean I think he's played anybody else off the roster either. I still like what Kulemin brings on the fourth line and Chimera is still pretty useful.

Some tough decisions are going to need to be made for sure. The possibility of Barzal making the squad and then there is still this defensive logjam with Pulock finally getting a spot and then even the possibility of Toews challenging for a roster spot. Should be an interesting camp. I'm glad September's creeping up finally.

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
That's the rumor floating around. I'll be annoyed if it happens. Guy has earned his spot. Still though, it's a good spot to be in. As much as I love Beau's game and believe he's an NHL player right now, it also doesn't mean I think he's played anybody else off the roster either. I still like what Kulemin brings on the fourth line and Chimera is still pretty useful.

Some tough decisions are going to need to be made for sure. The possibility of Barzal making the squad and then there is still this defensive logjam with Pulock finally getting a spot and then even the possibility of Toews challenging for a roster spot. Should be an interesting camp. I'm glad September's creeping up finally.

I didn't think Beau was ready last year. He got better for sure, but he was so easily knocked off the puck(and down to the ice). It's a tricky situation. It seems like it comes down to one of those kids making it and Barzal's skill set is the one we need. Just REALLY hard to send Beau down at his point without risking really messing with his confidence.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Guy has earned his spot.

I don't think so. He's a guy that was pretty good at times, but I think most people are seeing him through the perception of his "effort" rather than his effectiveness. He's fine, and I like him, but if other players are upgrades, then tough ****. I don't really care about his confidence.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I didn't think Beau was ready last year. He got better for sure, but he was so easily knocked off the puck(and down to the ice). It's a tricky situation. It seems like it comes down to one of those kids making it and Barzal's skill set is the one we need. Just REALLY hard to send Beau down at his point without risking really messing with his confidence.

He will only get better. Taking him out would be a very bad move. I mentioned it in another thread, but did he cost us any games? The same is true for Ho Sang. It would be a bad idea to take him out just to "try" and see if you could squeeze a step up for Barzal.

If Barzal is truly the cats ass then he will earn his spot up on real results, not the hopes and dreams of HF Board prospect watchers everywhere.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't think so. He's a guy that was pretty good at times, but I think most people are seeing him through the perception of his "effort" rather than his effectiveness. He's fine, and I like him, but if other players are upgrades, then tough ****. I don't really care about his confidence.

Is Barzal an upgrade? I didn't witness that in his short stint up last season. You can argue they didn't bring him up when they could have, that's fair, but I saw a liability when he was invisible, which I can't say for Beauvillier. If he earns his stay in camp I still keep Beauvillier and Ho Sang up. We have enough "depth" that can sit for a while to allow these guys to improve. Or maybe even try to trade quantity for something else, if even just some more room, or better yet, cap space.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is Barzal an upgrade? I didn't witness that in his short stint up last season. You can argue they didn't bring him up when they could have, that's fair, but I saw a liability when he was invisible, which I can't say for Beauvillier. If he earns his stay in camp I still keep Beauvillier and Ho Sang up. We have enough "depth" that can sit for a while to allow these guys to improve. Or maybe even try to trade quantity for something else, if even just some more room, or better yet, cap space.

12 months can go a long way in the development of 20 year olds.

I agree with the others above, Beauvillier is not safe by any means. If Ryan Strome can see AHL time after his 50 point season, then Beauvillier can absolutely see AHL time after being the 13th forward for the vast majority of the season.

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
I don't see how we can judge Barzal on what we saw last season in the NHL. 8 mins a game and 2 weeks between games. Who wouldn't be squeezing their stick?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I don't see how we can judge Barzal on what we saw last season in the NHL. 8 mins a game and 2 weeks between games. Who wouldn't be squeezing their stick?

I think we're all hoping for the best. He had an entire year to further develop, he's a year older and hopefully stronger. I have my hopes but I also have my reservations.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Eh, I think he was ready. He's got a good head on him. I expected him to get knocked off the puck. Ho-Sang, when they caught him, got knocked off the puck like crazy as well. If Barzal makes the team expect him to get knocked off a lot also. Comes with the territory of being a kid. I agree with APS, he didn't cost us any games, he still played the body right back and didn't shy away from the contact, and he played a good two way game. With strength he'll get better and he's got every tool in the toolbox, just a cheaper version. I think that is just as valuable as having a few expensive tools like Barzal. You need both guys to get the job done.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
I would like to see Ho Sang and Beau with either Chimera or Kulemin on the third line.
They played very well together with those vets last year, and their creativity paired with the third's defensive responsibility would allow the trio to feast on the lower-level match-ups they would face.

Lee-JT-Eberle - all the firepower
Ladd-Barzal-Bailey - Young gun with veteran triggermen
Chimera/Kulemin-Beau-Ho Sang
Nelson-Zeeker-Clutterbuck - killer 4th line

Isles Shawn

Aug 3, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would like to see Ho Sang and Beau with either Chimera or Kulemin on the third line.
They played very well together with those vets last year, and their creativity paired with the third's defensive responsibility would allow the trio to feast on the lower-level match-ups they would face.

Lee-JT-Eberle - all the firepower
Ladd-Barzal-Bailey - Young gun with veteran triggermen
Chimera/Kulemin-Beau-Ho Sang
Nelson-Zeeker-Clutterbuck - killer 4th line

Bailey as a triggerman? :laugh:, the guy will pass on a breakaway.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Fixed it for you
I have watched Bailey as long as he has been here. Third line guy, not physical enough(especially for the playoffs), does not shoot enough, and overrated defensively.
Let me know what you see that I am missing. The $3.whatever million(soon to go up) they are paying him could easily get us a better hockey player.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I have watched Bailey as long as he has been here. Third line guy, not physical enough(especially for the playoffs), does not shoot enough, and overrated defensively.
Let me know what you see that I am missing. The $3.whatever million(soon to go up) they are paying him could easily get us a better hockey player.

He had 56 points last year. He's usually good for about 0.5 PPG. He's popular in the lockerroom and is friends with Tavares. He's solid in his own end. Who do you think the Islanders can sign as a UFA for $3M that would bring all that to the table?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad