Player Discussion Jordan Eberle Appreciation Thread

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
One of the few players that let me believe in a better future for this team during some very dark years. Good luck on the Isle..

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for all the exciting goals and best wishes

I would certainly like to thank Jordan Eberle for all the exciting goals he scored (along with Taylor Hall) when the Oilers were such a dismal team and all but unwatchable. Unfortunately for Jordan and Taylor they had to bear a lot of criticisms that should have been directed at the dreadful mismanagement of Mac-T/Lowe and Tambo.

Players who were in their teens or early twenties were forced into leadership roles without the benefit of a management team that could help them out by providing established, more experienced leaders both on and off the ice.

The ineptitude of management stripped the team of NHL quality D-men and goalies and consigned the team to a decade long funk but through it all some guys at least kept the fans entertained with great stick handling and highlight reel goals.

Ironically, the guys who wrecked it for everybody remain with the organization (as it so often is in all industries) while other guys were shown the door in a hail storm of immature criticism.

Whatever the problems were it wasn't Eberle or Hall and as I did with Taylor Hall I want to wish Jordan Eberle all the best in New York. Think of us when you are at the shows in Manhattan;).

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's so fitting that an appreciation thread for Jordan Eberle should be filled with so much management criticism. Some of what went wrong here is on Eberle, I've always questioned his competitive drive, but so much more is on that pre-Nicholson management group. Not only was he given too much too soon but he was absolved from being accountable for anything. He wasn't forced to learn how to play properly to get his ice time or even his money, it was just given to him with the organization telling him and the media constantly that he and a couple others were more important than everyone else on the team. To make matters worse, if a veteran spoke up about the play of those kids, he was removed from the team asap. Pretty easy to pick up bad habits in that environment. That'll ruin anyone. Good luck with the Islanders Jordan. Things will be different from now on. You're no longer with the team that drafted and coddled you. You'll now have the same expectations other players have. You'll have to produce or you'll be gone. You'll have to do everything possible now to make yourself and your game better. It'll be an adjustment for you. I'm curious to see how you do.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
A legit top 6 winger, he will be missed more than people give him credit for that's for sure.

Hope he kills it in NY.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Wow this makes me sad. :(

You just see how happy he looks in most of that video. I didn't see much of that last season. I think it'll be good for him to go and play with Tavares and hopefully get that love of the game back... I'm not suggesting he lost it, but it certainly declined. Maybe part of that was Hall being traded too, I wouldn't know. Regardless of salary or whatever, these guys are still human. So I wouldn't be surprised if he did miss Hall a bit this past season and that affected his game, as insignificant as it may have been.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I would certainly like to thank Jordan Eberle for all the exciting goals he scored (along with Taylor Hall) when the Oilers were such a dismal team and all but unwatchable. Unfortunately for Jordan and Taylor they had to bear a lot of criticisms that should have been directed at the dreadful mismanagement of Mac-T/Lowe and Tambo.

Players who were in their teens or early twenties were forced into leadership roles without the benefit of a management team that could help them out by providing established, more experienced leaders both on and off the ice.

The ineptitude of management stripped the team of NHL quality D-men and goalies and consigned the team to a decade long funk but through it all some guys at least kept the fans entertained with great stick handling and highlight reel goals.

Ironically, the guys who wrecked it for everybody remain with the organization (as it so often is in all industries) while other guys were shown the door in a hail storm of immature criticism.

Whatever the problems were it wasn't Eberle or Hall and as I did with Taylor Hall I want to wish Jordan Eberle all the best in New York. Think of us when you are at the shows in Manhattan;).

Hear, hear!

Nice to see some people give the guy a proper send-off instead of the ignorant condescension from too much of this forum in his last season.

He gave his all and helped the team for the vast majority of his time here. I won't dwell on his difficult last season, rather the many highlights of his career with this team.

Someday he'll join whatever Wall of Honour we'll construct, and he'll fully deserve his spot there.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hear, hear!

Nice to see some people give the guy a proper send-off instead of the ignorant condescension from too much of this forum in his last season.

He gave his all and helped the team for the vast majority of his time here. I won't dwell on his difficult last season, rather the many highlights of his career with this team.

Someday he'll join whatever Wall of Honour we'll construct, and he'll fully deserve his spot there.

....and in turn thank you for your maturity. No matter how much these players make they are still human beings and deserve better than much of what I have read on the hockey threads. Pity the people who live and die with this stuff.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Wow this makes me sad. :(

He was once such a prominent prospect but the losing and constant coaching/management changes broke him. I thought he'd become what Tarasenko is right now back in 12/13 but things changed fast.

Oh well, we had a lot of good years from him but we have McDavid, Draisaitl and friends to watch now! :handclap:

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Wish him nothing but the best, was my favorite player during the early days of the decade of darkness

Funny thing being RNH has been on down years the majority if his career. But still here. Sickening that he outlasted hall and eberle. The worst of the three.

Agreed 100%. Guess that comes with playing Center in the NHL although he doesn't do that well either.

another good player chased out of town and traded for peanuts

We traded Eberle for a even worse version of Eberle while using the cap space we got to sign another terrible player but everyone has nothing but great things to say about Chiarelli :shakehead

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Well Jordan, i can honestly say i won't miss you. Good luck in NY though

:laugh:

Yeah. There was something wrong with the chemistry of the old core. The OBC were a huge part of the problem, but some of it has to be on the players.

I really liked Eberle through the end of 2014-15. Something changed with him that off-season. Maybe it was the shoulder injury. Maybe it was all the losing. Maybe it was going into his eighth season in the league with his seventh head coach.

The last two seasons have been real disappointments with Eberle. Best of luck to him in Brooklyn.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
:laugh:

Yeah. There was something wrong with the chemistry of the old core. The OBC were a huge part of the problem, but some of it has to be on the players.

I really liked Eberle through the end of 2014-15. Something changed with him that off-season. Maybe it was the shoulder injury. Maybe it was all the losing. Maybe it was going into his eighth season in the league with his seventh head coach.

The last two seasons have been real disappointments with Eberle. Best of luck to him in Brooklyn.

He was never taught or never learned how to be a proper NHL player. whether it be conditioning, strength, strategy or even commitment, he wasn't developed much passed what he came into the league with as a rookie. He was never forced to improve. He was paid well and received his regular minutes just for being who he was. When the regime changed and that wasn't good enough for the new guys he was unable to adapt. He knew it and I think that's why he gave up. It's up to him know to see if he can figure this stuff out.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
I don't know if Eberle or players read HFOIL......

Or listen to the talk shows.

I also didn't see Eberle being bood at games.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'll miss Ebs.

I thought this past season was a good transition year for him and he had difficulty with his offensive confidence... but... he also started hitting a bit on the forecheck and stopped a lot of his bad habits in the D-zone, cheating for offense.

I think we are going to really see him blossom in NYR and regret this move.

My fondest Ebs memory is that Russia-Canada game where he scored with 5 seconds left. I was sitting second row, next to his aunt, and the two us had the most epic goal celebration I have ever experienced... I think my beer cup ended up on Slava Voynov... but anyway. It was fun.

I expect big things from Ebs the remainder of his career, but it was time for him to move on I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad