Joonas Korpisalo

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Mase would have been fine here. He lost his head and his passion for the game. He thought he was the **** after his rookie year and got humbled. He's been really good for Philly.

Yeah, he would have been fine after getting his head straight. Probably the same for Bobrovsky.

Retail1LO*

I have to say...I've really enjoyed watching this guy play between the pipes. Man...a top flight goaltender is just what the doctor ordered in Columbus. Just like Schneider in NJ, you can do a lot with roster that still has some holes when you have someone between the pipes that can get you to the doorstep of winning most games.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
I guess the question now is do we trust Korpi to be our back up next year and develop properly with the back up workload or do we shelter his development more by having him start and be the go to guy at LEM?

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
1b with Bob is possible but I would never push a goalie too far too fast. Carrying a team is massive pressure and I don't want to risk ruining Korpi...though that's not to say he doesn't have the ability.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
When Bob is healthy, he will be getting 80-90% of the starts. As good as Korpisalo has been, you don't want a 21 year old sitting on the bench that much. But Bob's good for an injury every year, and McElhinney isn't capable of carrying the team as a starter.

I think he'll be treated like Mrazek was treated by Detroit. The second best goalie in the organization, but playing in Lake Erie until Bob's annual injury.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When Bob is healthy, he will be getting 80-90% of the starts.

Bob won't be healthy for long when he gets 80-90% of the starts; so not really much of a concern eh?

I get your point and I think it's time for the FO to really look hard at the Bob situation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think next years goalie plan will be adaptive. They want to win and they'll play whoever is hot.

The only trouble with that i see is that Bob sometimes needs a lot of games to get going. I could see Torts losing patience with him in that situation. I expect Bob will be notified that he won't have as much runway to start next year, because of Korpi.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think this is a problem for Forsberg. He needs to be down in the AHL getting starts rather than backing up Korpisalo every night.

IMHO when McElhinney (or Bob for the 2nd time) went down, the team should have acquired a Michael Leighton type backup to sit in the NHL while Korpisalo starts and Forsberg starts in the AHL.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I think this is a problem for Forsberg. He needs to be down in the AHL getting starts rather than backing up Korpisalo every night.

IMHO when McElhinney (or Bob for the 2nd time) went down, the team should have acquired a Michael Leighton type backup to sit in the NHL while Korpisalo starts and Forsberg starts in the AHL.
So what you're saying is we need to reaquire McMcBackup? :sarcasm:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

I agree. If the Jackets can become a goalie developing factory, it provides long term assets and constant stream of backups in case of inevitable injuries. Forsberg should be playing, unless it's more beneficial to have Forsberg working with Ian Clark. But you'd think he's need some actual game time to apply what's he's learned.

Next season Dansk might be back (he's done well in Sweden playing for a bad team) and Elvis might come over. There's got to be better asset management getting goalies playing time than what happened this seasons with defensemen.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
They need to let Korpisalo start the rest of the season up here, and when Curtis is healthy, reassign Forsberg back to LEM so he can finally get some quality time in net to further his development.

As for next year, I wouldn't mind seeing Korpi up here to start the season. As long as he is playing anywhere near 30-35 games and not riding the pine for 10 game stretches, I think it would do wonders working with Bob for a full season. That could be a win-win for both, as Bob would have less of a workload, too.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
They need to let Korpisalo start the rest of the season up here, and when Curtis is healthy, reassign Forsberg back to LEM so he can finally get some quality time in net to further his development.

As for next year, I wouldn't mind seeing Korpi up here to start the season. As long as he is playing anywhere near 30-35 games and not riding the pine for 10 game stretches, I think it would do wonders working with Bob for a full season. That could be a win-win for both, as Bob would have less of a workload, too.

What do you with CMac? He's under contract for next season.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Big question is what would help him out long term - playing 75% of the games in the AHL or playing 30-40% of the games in the NHL? I don't have an answer for that - and either way I hope the CBJ invest heavily in these young goalies (getting great coaching namely at whatever level they are at).

I really hope the CBJ consider cutting Bob's workload. I know Bob won't like it - but it's not about Bob it's what is best for the franchise. But I could see the CBJ saying next season Bob we're going to play you 48-52 games next season if you stay healthy - it could be a few more if he does get hot but schedule it out that he doesn't play back to back and gets every 3rd game off (something like that).

C-mac is replaceable. He's played good at times, and bad other times. If you can move him at deadline for a team desperate for a backup do it (probably not very likely but you never know).

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko/nhl/suomalainen-nhl-sensaatio-kirjoittaa-hammastyttavaa-sankaritarinaa-ainutlaatuinen-tila

On Urheilulehti's Ice Men recently fired, former comrades of Turku head coach Ika Lehtonen is glowing, happy and taken with Korpisalo's play although we have always known how competitive the members of Korpisalo Clan are and how they live with sport as the centre of their action.

Goalkeeping coaching of Ilves's Markus Korhonen also cannot be underestimated. With a funnel on the goal no coach can win.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I wonder why people are talking about how it would help (??) playing in the AHL. He clearly seems to be NHL level already. AHL will just drag him backwards, facing low quality shots ect all year long compared to NHL. If he plays like an top tier starter in NHL, there is no reason to send him to AHL. Happy to see a new top goalie in development.. (for national team).. it has been few years.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, I think it's time to cut the cord on McElhinney. Waive him, if he clears he can go to the AHL as insurance next year if Bob gets hurt, Korpisalo struggles, or both. Korpisalo should be the 'backup' to Bob. Best case scenario is that it creates a Luongo-Schneider situation. Worst case, Bob gets hurt, Korpisalo struggles, McE gets hurt, and Forsberg-Dansk becomes our tandem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad