Joonas Korpisalo

Finland

Dec 27, 2015
Ohio
I live near the Blue Jacket's affiliate in Cleveland, and so I have been able to see a few games. And from what I've seen, I would have thought that Forsberg would be getting more call-ups, as he plays most games in Lake Erie. But then again, I haven't seen Korpisalo play yet.

Finland

Dec 27, 2015
Ohio
Both goalies have posted similar numbers in the NHL:
Forsberg: GAA-4.69 Sv %-.866
Korpisalo: GAA-3.65 Sv%-.886

Forsberg's stats are from last season, however.

Korpisalo has posted better AHL numbers,too- 2.12 GAA and .928 Sv%

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Is there a way to send the Jackets fan mail? I would have one message for mister Curtis McElhinney.

I am hungry again. It sends me back in my memories. In those days we had more attitude than skill but the mainline was that everything we did was real.

He gives his all. Because he hasn't got anything more. Do you understand who stands infront of you? Tougher, better, faster, stronger. Alpha Omega.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've been on the Korpisalo train since pre-season. I think he can be a backup to Bob now, really no reason to keep C-Mac. I would expect a team to need a veteran backup come the deadline and he would be a good tool to pickup a draft pick.

But I really think Korpisalo will be an NHL #1 goalie

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I've been on the Korpisalo train since pre-season. I think he can be a backup to Bob now, really no reason to keep C-Mac.

I see no reason for a 21 year old to backup your #1 goal tender; especially one paid 7.5 million.

If Korp is up here, it's because of injuries and he's starting quite a bit. Otherwise he's down in the AHL actually playing. This isn't skaters, where they are, at least, getting some ice time. Goal tending is a lot of "all or nothing".

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Ok, it's starting to look that you have a chance at least, that you could have pulled next top goalie for Finnish NT out of draft. Great to see, it was few years till last good and big goalie with high ceiling.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
He seems to have saved break-away twice and few other big chances, letting in only 1 goal in 2-1 win. And this isn't the first time this season I'm hearing about great performance.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
I hope fans realize Joonas is a long way away from being a regular day-to-day goalie. This has been a great stretch with another young player showing potential. Lets all remember Steve Mason and his early success. I hope Bob can stay healthy and let CMac back him up one more year while Joonas competes in the AHL with Forsberg.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I hope fans realize Joonas is a long way away from being a regular day-to-day goalie. This has been a great stretch with another young player showing potential. Lets all remember Steve Mason and his early success. I hope Bob can stay healthy and let CMac back him up one more year and let Joonas compete in the AHL with Forsberg.

People like to use Mason as a cautionary tale, but he's been a good goalie for a couple seasons now.

Guess he just needed to get out of Columbus. Sigh.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We don't need him to step up for another 2-3 years.

Make him the 1B and rotate goalies. Give Bob more starts but limit his time, especially in back to backs.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
We don't need him to step up for another 2-3 years.

Make him the 1B and rotate goalies. Give Bob more starts but limit his time, especially in back to backs.

How long bob will be sidelined for his injury?.
Korpisalo is very promising goalie prospect but is he mature or ready to be bob's back up yet.
Joonas has played well but he's still rookie.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
How long bob will be sidelined for his injury?.
Korpisalo is very promising goalie prospect but is he mature or ready to be bob's back up yet.
Joonas has played well but he's still rookie.

We're gonna find out won't we!

Idk if we have any time tables for Mac, but he's gonna be in the NHL until Bob's AND Mac are back, which might not happen this season. So kinda like Wennberg last season, Korpi is being tossed into the fire early. Now we've seen how streaky goalies are and how they can lose all this momentum (look at cordon and Montreal) there's still a LOT of hockey to be played. I'll be able to give a better picture around March.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Via - http://www.jacketscannon.com/2016/1/28/10851380/january-stock-report

The Fin is quickly emerging as the goalie of the future for the franchise. He registered a .935 save % and 2.13 GAA in seven January appearances. In his six starts (he also had a relief appearance against Calgary), the team went 4-0-2. The only other game in January that the Jackets earned a point was the first game of the month when Anton Forsberg was in net for a 5-4 shootout win over Washington. Back to Korpisalo...he's upped his even-strength save % for the entire season up to .923. For comparison, Sergei Bobrovsky's career ES save % in the NHL is .927, and just .917 this season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's playing very well, and he's an encouraging player for the future. But I think we need to pump the breaks a bit. Goalies are so unpredictable. Hopefully he keeps it up though, he's providing hope and security if Bob's issues continue.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not so much encouraged by his hot streak as I am by his technique.

I don't think he's tracked the puck well lately, but he still puts up a .950, because he always seems to be in the right place, and moves well while keeping holes covered.

Ettan

Jan 28, 2016
Helsinki
Beautiful technique and his movement is so effortless. Hopefully he will not lose his mental strength, so far so good. Keep up the good work korppi!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Let's see what happens in the 2nd half of the season before awarding him the backup position next year. Maybe the rest of the NHL gets "a book" on him (high shots from bad angles) like they did with Steve Mason?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Let's see what happens in the 2nd half of the season before awarding him the backup position next year. Maybe the rest of the NHL gets "a book" on him (high shots from bad angles) like they did with Steve Mason?

Chapter 1 - hard slap shots from just inside the red line. :laugh:

Seriously I agree. Lots of guys, for whatever reason, come up strong for their first bit of games then they regress. Some recover and turn out okay others never. I like him so far but I thought Mase was the next Brodeur.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Mase would have been fine here. He lost his head and his passion for the game. He thought he was the **** after his rookie year and got humbled. He's been really good for Philly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad