Waived: Joni Ortio (Nov. 25, 2015)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Oh man, you are a good sport! :laugh:

I dunno, a week is probably more than good enough.
tumblr_inline_mgqybuNP6H1r72uub.gif

Urge to take Calculons posts seriously.... falling. :sarcasm:
tumblr_m749jbfic71r8wvvh.gif

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Let me start off by saying I am an Ortio supporter, and I still believe that he has some good potential. But I hate when fans put blame on the team for a poor performance of a player. If Ortio would have played better in his starts, this wouldn't have been the case. Sure the team wasn't giving him much support, but he had to recognize the opportunity he had in front of him.
I hope he can re-group and take over on the Heat again to regain confidence. With a good couple of months I'm sure we'll see him back up for what might be his last chance as a Flame.
Now if he pouts like Irving did and can't regroup...bye bye.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
OKG, I know what you're saying, but do you think any GM in the league would say anything else? All their comments are calculated and have motive.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
I'm so confused, what's with the Bieber pics and gifs. I feel like I'm missing something

Anyway, I'm happy Oreo cleared. While he may not be a great goaltending prospect, I still believe in him and wouldn't want to lose him for nothing

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm so confused, what's with the Bieber pics and gifs. I feel like I'm missing something

Anyway, I'm happy Oreo cleared. While he may not be a great goaltending prospect, I still believe in him and wouldn't want to lose him for nothing

He's the best musician of our generation.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Let me start off by saying I am an Ortio supporter, and I still believe that he has some good potential. But I hate when fans put blame on the team for a poor performance of a player. If Ortio would have played better in his starts, this wouldn't have been the case. Sure the team wasn't giving him much support, but he had to recognize the opportunity he had in front of him.
I hope he can re-group and take over on the Heat again to regain confidence. With a good couple of months I'm sure we'll see him back up for what might be his last chance as a Flame.
Now if he pouts like Irving did and can't regroup...bye bye.

I don't know whether in general, a wise Decision for Hartley keep 3 goalies in NHL roster after training camp.
Ortio is OK goalie, but is he still too un-mature to play in NHL.

Example when Karri Ramo, played for Tampa Bay Lightning he didn't get much starts and ice-time there.
He frustrated for round-trip, between NHL and AHL and he left to KHL.
Now he's 27 yrs old and he's mature, and ready to be starting goalie in NHL.

Also i don't know how but somehow, i have a feeling Ortio's agent is already looking new team for Joni.
Personally i wouldn't be surprised, if Ortio packs his stuffs and goes to KHL after this season.
And returns back after a few years, when he's ready to be starting goalie in NHL.

Some young goalies needs more time to develop, than others and that belongs to hockey.
Also we have to remember that, Ortio is only 24 yrs old. So he has a lot time to play, in NHL then when he's mature to be a starting goalie.

Last edited:

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
I couldn´t find a player discussion thread on Ortio so I´m posting this here (idk if its the right place :) )

Where do you think Ortio will be next season?

Joni just had 2 goals on 8 shots and got pulled after (within the first 10 minutes)
He returned in the 3rd (after Simpson got lit up) and kept the house clean, so the Stockton Heat could win with an impressive comeback.
His stats are: 14GP 3.39GAA .892 SVS

Poulin should be back soon, his injury happend 6+ weeks ago.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I tend to agree with Ace. I mean, the priority next year has to be getting Gillies as many games as possible. I don't know if the Flames are just going to cut him loose, but I clearly don't think they are counting on him to be our back up next season either.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I could see this being a Leland Irving sort of situation with him. Get given a brief shot and it didn't really work out so I think either they will cut hiller loose and he will be given a shot at the back up spot next season. Or he'll go over seas.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I couldn´t find a player discussion thread on Ortio so I´m posting this here (idk if its the right place :) )

Where do you think Ortio will be next season?

Joni just had 2 goals on 8 shots and got pulled after (within the first 10 minutes)
He returned in the 3rd (after Simpson got lit up) and kept the house clean, so the Stockton Heat could win with an impressive comeback.
His stats are: 14GP 3.39GAA .892 SVS

Poulin should be back soon, his injury happend 6+ weeks ago.

Ortio doesnt look like the type that can be a backup. He sat for a bit and got totally out of synch.

This year was his best chance and he blew it. Still has not found his game in the minor neither. I think his chance with the Flames is slim to none.

Maybe go back to Europe and if for some miracle becomes a star there then maybe he gets another shot.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We're going to lose him to waivers.

LOL...that ship has sailed. I can name a dozen others in the minor that would get a shot before him. Who wants a guy that is not even good in the minor?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad