Waived: Joni Ortio (Nov. 25, 2015)

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
This makes me sad. Both with the waiving and the fact that he's played poor in his limited opportunities. Guess I can look forward to Gillies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really think that there is limited risk to waiving Ortio, I just don't see why any team would claim him given his season to date. That said, I hope he goes to Stockton and performs well. He is young, we have invested time in his development, so it would kind of suck to see all that go to waste. But without question, none of that is Hartley's job to worry about. He's going to use the 2 guys that give him the best chance of winning.

I really put this all on Treliving and it goes back to the extension he signed him to last season. I think Treliving probably thought Ortio would be further along this year when he signed him to his deal last season. I think at the end of last year it was Treliving's opinion that Ortio was not ready to be the guy this year because we all heard about how hard we were looking for an upgrade in net. Treliving was not able to make a deal, he didn't want Ortio as the backup, so Ramo was resigned as insurance.

I don't necessarily blame him Tre, I think he did what he had to do given his circumstances. But things have worked out pretty rough this season. I think he really wanted to move Hiller and something for an upgrade, then have Ortio as the backup but neither happened.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really think that there is limited risk to waiving Ortio, I just don't see why any team would claim him given his season to date. That said, I hope he goes to Stockton and performs well. He is young, we have invested time in his development, so it would kind of suck to see all that go to waste. But without question, none of that is Hartley's job to worry about. He's going to use the 2 guys that give him the best chance of winning.

I really put this all on Treliving and it goes back to the extension he signed him to last season. I think Treliving probably thought Ortio would be further along this year when he signed him to his deal last season. I think at the end of last year it was Treliving's opinion that Ortio was not ready to be the guy this year because we all heard about how hard we were looking for an upgrade in net. Treliving was not able to make a deal, he didn't want Ortio as the backup, so Ramo was resigned as insurance.

I don't necessarily blame him Tre, I think he did what he had to do given his circumstances. But things have worked out pretty rough this season. I think he really wanted to move Hiller and something for an upgrade, then have Ortio as the backup but neither happened.
To expand on this, I would guess he was willing to have Ortio as the backup if it meant playing less than 30 games (which is why I think Cam Ward was mentioned), otherwise I agree completely. Honestly Poulin is just as good as Ortio, so the loss of Ortio on waivers should it happen is negligible.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To expand on this, I would guess he was willing to have Ortio as the backup if it meant playing less than 30 games (which is why I think Cam Ward was mentioned), otherwise I agree completely. Honestly Poulin is just as good as Ortio, so the loss of Ortio on waivers should it happen is negligible.

I agree, if he could have landed a legit starter that was an upgrade on Hiller/Ramo, then yeah in that situation you give Orito sheltered starts. He's not ready for a 1a/1b tandem though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree, if he could have landed a legit starter that was an upgrade on Hiller/Ramo, then yeah in that situation you give Orito sheltered starts. He's not ready for a 1a/1b tandem though.
Exactly. Frankly I'm not even sure he is ready for an outright backup role but I can understand why you'd give him a chance.

I predicted by Christmas Ortio would be an AHL backup, It looks like we will have to wait until January for that now :laugh:

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
mfw Joni clears
DXS1yUK.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think this means Gillies will opt for surgery this week.

Also Poulin > Ortio. Just saying.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I didn't bring up TB for no reasons. They did actually claim the inferior Poulin off waiver to use as backup after Vasilevskiy went down.

Based on what?
Based on the fact I feel he is a better goaltender, obviously. Poulin and Ortio are very close in terms of ability, except Poulin is just a year older and 2.5x the NHL experience. Poulin is more sound technically, he doesn't flail around and duck when shots come at him and he doesn't lose his net nearly as often.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Based on the fact I feel he is a better goaltender, obviously. Poulin and Ortio are very close in terms of ability, except Poulin is just a year older and 2.5x the NHL experience. Poulin is more sound technically, he doesn't flail around and duck when shots come at him and he doesn't lose his net nearly as often.

Also, Poulin looked great before his injury. There is always the chance he could get back to form.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I thought he was going to get claimed and it would be the worst season of all time :sarcasm:.

Happy he cleared though :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad