Jonathan Quick's injury ''could be a while''

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
With as overrated as Quick apparently is the Kings should be able to plug anyone in and compete-right?

Nah, I don't think anyone is saying that. Quick is an above average goalie, not elite, or close to it, but pretty good. I bet if you plugged an average goalie in there, there would be an obvious drop off, but the Kings would still be a low end playoff team. Problem is, Zatkoff and Budaj aren't average, or close to it...

FishMonger

May 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Nah, I don't think anyone is saying that. Quick is an above average goalie, not elite, or close to it, but pretty good. I bet if you plugged an average goalie in there, there would be an obvious drop off, but the Kings would still be a low end playoff team. Problem is, Zatkoff and Budaj aren't average, or close to it...

This recurring sentiment here entirely ignores both the numbers, and the eye-test.

But do go on. I'm sure that the two times per year you watch him will tell us everything we need to know.

Quick has been an integral part to 2 Cup teams in the last 5 years, and is a perennial Vezina contender. But that doesn't matter.

Because... feelings.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
This recurring sentiment here entirely ignores both the numbers, and the eye-test.

But do go on. I'm sure that the two times per year you watch him will tell us everything we need to know.

Quick has been an integral part to 2 Cup teams in the last 5 years, and is a perennial Vezina contender. But that doesn't matter.

Because... feelings.

Who's feelings are hurt? Mine or yours...seeing as many people share my sentiment and it irks you?

There are few numbers that indicate Quick is elite.

He's 13th in active career save percentage. The shots he sees are among the easiest (distance wise) in the league and he has played behind one of the best defenses over the last 6 or so years.

Quick is not a "perennial Vezina contender" lol. Other than last year, which was a farce (please tell me you believe he was better than Schneider, Luongo or Crawford), he has exactly one Vezina nomination and 0 victories. Sorry, two nominations (one undeserved) in 8 seasons doesn't scream perennial contender to me.

Quick was lights out in 2012 throughout the season and post-season and fully deserved the Conn Smythe...no arguments there. However, Quick was garbage vs. the Sharks and Blackhawks in 2014.

For all the praise he gets for being a playoff stud, his playoff numbers aren't special. He's 10th in active playoff save percentage. In 4 of his 6 playoff seasons, he's posted a .913 or worse.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Who's feelings are hurt? Mine or yours...seeing as many people share my sentiment and it irks you?

He's 13th in active career save percentage. The shots he sees are among the easiest (distance wise) in the league and he has played behind one of the best defenses over the last 6 or so years.

Quick is not a "perennial Vezina contender" lol. Other than last year, which was a farce (please tell me you believe he was better than Schneider, Luongo or Crawford), he has exactly one Vezina nomination and 0 victories. Sorry, two nominations (one undeserved) in 8 seasons doesn't scream perennial contender to me.

Quick was lights out in 2012 throughout the season and post-season and fully deserved the Conn Smythe...no arguments there. However, Quick was garbage vs. the Sharks and Blackhawks in 2014.

For all the praise he gets for being a playoff stud, his playoff numbers aren't special. He's 10th in active playoff save percentage. In 4 of his 6 playoff seasons, he's posted a .913 or worse.

Agreed. Quick is one of the most overrated goalies.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Price
Holtby
Schneider
Bishop
Luongo for me (He hasn't sniffed below .921 Save% in 5 years)

IMO. TBH, after the top 3, it's close for the next few goalies.

Point is, I agree that he is not elite. He's good though, obviously.

Last edited:

FishMonger

May 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

I never said your feelings were hurt, I just said you feel that way. Take a deep breath, nobody is trying to hurt your feelings.

Few people who actually watch Quick on a regular basis share your sentiment.

I know there's not a consensus on which talking head on NHL Network/NBC is actually any good, but they all say Quick is world class. You gotta at least respect the opinion of one of them.

It's clear you didn't watch the 2014 Kings playoff run if you think he wasn't good in those series. It's not even a question. The Kings boards had multiple threads on 'How can you expect the goalie to save that?'

If you only count the Top 3 as Vezina contenders, you're correct. But he's always been in the conversation since 10-11... except 12-13, and we don't talk about that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00