Jonathan Quick is still a system goalie

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
To be fair, it's not binary...it requires a lot of nuance and game knowledge to understand...though too many people (like the OP, I suppose) throw it around as if it's a binary term. You either are a system goalie or you are not a system goalie. That's not correct.

There are varying degrees in which in-zone coverage schemes insulate goaltenders and/or insulate certain weaknesses that goalies have. Example: Claude Julien's system in Boston designed to yield the blue line (and therefore, surrender shots) in exchange for never being out numbered below their own hash marks to mop up for the unpredictably of Tim Thomas' horrific rebound control. The idea was to box out one side, and then have the center and other d-man sweep into remove pucks that would otherwise be loose.

Late 1990's Sabres would force shooters to commit to the lane they entered the zone with. Hasek's biggest weakness was mid-range shots that came from the crossing of a lane, as his feet would never get set in time for them. So Buffalo worked to prevent lateral movement in the offensive zone and could sacrifice some rebound pouncing because of Hasek's greatest strength - his understanding of vertical geometry on shots from in-close.

A good coach understands the talent he has and adapts a system to that talent, just two of many examples...

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
How exactly is a goalie a system player? Is boucher his coach, with a trap defense?

Do you mean that the goalie is helped by the defense in front of him? Then yes, every goalie relies on the team in front of him...he is the last line of defense. Brodeur benefitted from those new Jersey teams, never heard anyone complain about him being a system player.

Wtf is this thread... I hate quick, he's easily my least favourite goalie (complains constantly), but let's be real.

Trust me, those people exist.

Reactions: KingTrouty

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
-Ranked 26th in the regular season at 2.41 per game, which is horrible for a Cup Champion. And the Kings won 3 Game 7's that year and had 5 overtime wins. One of the worst champions of All Time, a fluke run.
last years pens without a single top pairing dman were more of a fluke than the 14 kings ever were if we have to call a team a fluke. Gaborik, 70s line, kopitar and Williams were all tearing it up on top of having great team defense and being one of the best possession teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingTrouty

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
-Why Cant I? Letang is a 6X All Star, a 3 time Stanley Cup Champion, He had season ending herniated disc in his neck that needed surgery and was out 6 months neat your point?. He missed 2014 when he had a stroke from blood clot. And they were fine without him as they made the playoffs And he's missed substantial time with 3 serious concussionsHow does this matter when we are talking of how good he is. The fact he is even playing right now, or alive, speaks volumes.

-He's nowhere near the player he was back in 2016 right now, but he's way better now then he was at the start of the season when his neck surgery sidelined him. His injuries are as bad if not worse than Stamkos.

Are you seriously citing being invited to the all star game as a part of his resume... the same all star game that saw Mike Komisarek, John Scott and Brent Seabrook get ice time? The all star game is meaningless on a resume Letang peaked as 3rd place norris finalist (in a year where Keith and Chara deserved to be finalists over him) he is not in the same stratosphere of Kane and Doughty both of whom will be 1st ballot hall of famers. No one outside of Pit fans will even remember Letang in 15 years he has never been the best at his position

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Yeah as a Sharks fan, this is bs. Quick is the reason I don’t like facing the Kings in the playoffs because if he goes ‘playoff Quick’ the kings are extremely tough to beat. I am more comfortable now because I think Martin Jones has that same clutch gene but i’d draw someone else in the 1st round.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
He’s good not elite. He can have strenches of it (probably due to system). But he was never a top goalie in the NHL

he's been a two time Vezina finalist, he's putting up the 6th highest save percentage of any starting goalie this year, the second highest of his career. It's pretty safe to safe he's been a top goalie in the league.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Considering save pct. is a volume stat, that wouldn't matter much.

As for Quick being a "system goalie"...often times people confuse the notion that a goalie that plays behind a strong defensive system is automatically a system goalie. This is where proper talent evaluation comes into play and statistics fail. If you can't identify the talent that's driving a system (because everyone has a system...every team is coached to the nines at this point), you get suckered into threads like this...

Quick is talented independently of the structure he plays behind. He's a net-positive influence on the game. Some goalies dupe people - like Brian Elliott in St. Louis (all hail the save pct. king for all-time, or whatever).

The only time I disliked Quick's game (and like skaters, goalies go through times where they lose confidence and change their games and yada yada yada...that's a thread unto itself) is the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He was playing so erratically and just guessing on stuff...lunging outside of his posts and nothing...that series he was just sliding and shuffling around because he could, but not because he needed to...he has wonderful lateral ability, he has wonderful shuffle ability, but there's a time and a place for it...that's part of proper save selection. He looked like he was just out there just ******* around...he wasn't tracking pucks, he wasn't on his angles, it was the worst I had ever seen him...but that's not normal Quick, at all...but he's a legit talent and he would be good in virtually any remotely normal scenario...

As a Kings fan his game has devolved into that right now. He's not tracking, and he's lunging around erratically.

A confident structured Quick is one of the best in the league, but he's legit playing bad right now. He's just flailing around erratically right now and our team is suffering from his play.

Quicks biggest weakness now that he's been injured and getting Older, is that he's just guessing way too much. Quick started the year phenomenally. But around the end of 2017 some bad tendencies crept into his game and he hasn't been able to shake it off since. He can play a very good positional game, but it's just not there right now for reasons I don't understand.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Are you seriously citing being invited to the all star game as a part of his resume... the same all star game that saw Mike Komisarek, John Scott and Brent Seabrook get ice time? The all star game is meaningless on a resume Letang peaked as 3rd place norris finalist (in a year where Keith and Chara deserved to be finalists over him) he is not in the same stratosphere of Kane and Doughty both of whom will be 1st ballot hall of famers. No one outside of Pit fans will even remember Letang in 15 years he has never been the best at his position
Were you expecting something different from him.

1) Kings won three game 7's on away ice
2) Were trailing 3-0 vs. San José in round 1
3) 7-2 in overtime games during the run
4) Winner of the cup two years earlier

....and he is talking about a fluke run.

Can you believe it ?

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Meh were talking game 7 in a playoff matchup... and I can choose any goalie I want

give me quick in any of those 3 years where they won 2 cups(or 2003 jiggy ;) )

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
All goalies are system goalies.
This is hockey's version of privelage LOL

All YOUR goalies are system goalies....at least they were during the days when you could barely get to them.

The Rangers and Panthers goalies have been known to be the only ones worth a f*** on many occasion.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Were you expecting something different from him.

1) Kings won three game 7's on away ice
2) Were trailing 3-0 vs. San José in round 1
3) 7-2 in overtime games during the run
4) Winner of the cup two years earlier

....and he is talking about a fluke run.

Can you believe it ?
After 5 months on hf, there's nothing- absolutely nothing that surprises me anymore.

More than 0 people used their 'common sense' to try and say how Wayne Gretzky wasn't the greatest goal scorer of all time. Wayne F***ing Gretzky.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
This is hockey's version of privelage LOL

All YOUR goalies are system goalies....at least they were during the days when you could barely get to them.

The Rangers and Panthers goalies have been known to be the only ones worth a **** on many occasion.

You do realize all goalies no matter how good of a team they play on will essentially face the same number of high danger shot's right which is between 10 and 13 HD shots per 60 minutes?

What separates good defensive teams from bad defensive teams is the number of LOW danger shots, and not the high danger shots. The best defensive teams are the ones who allow the fewest low danger shots, because they keep the puck out of their end. In other words, goalies who face more shots on average are in reality just facing more low danger shots which is a SV% inflating factor.

That's the biggest reason why goalies who play on strong defensive teams will have a significantly deflated SV%. Every goalie since the 80's has a higher cumulative SV% in their higher shot volume games than they do in their lower shot volume games. You have to go back to the 70's before finding goalies where the opposite was true when it was a different game.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad