Jonathan Quick is still a system goalie

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Pretty convenient to make this thread after he's had his 2 worst games back to back all year. He's been one of the most consistent goalies this year and is apparently dealing with, or just coming off of, an injury.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So as you point out, the Kings play a completely different system this year and he’s STILL a system goalie? Am I missing something here?
Its still a defensive system. So I guess you are missing something. All you have to do is look at the numbers of the backup goalie. Pretty ridiculous numbers

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Pretty convenient to make this thread after he's had his 2 worst games back to back all year. He's been one of the most consistent goalies this year and is apparently dealing with, or just coming off of, an injury.
Quick is a decent goaltender but has always been a bit inconsistent. He is more of a reflex goalie than a technical goalie.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
What does that even mean???? You see the puck and you try and stop it. You said it yourself, his SV% has stayed the same...so he's been seeing more shots. No goalie can out play bad defense night in an night out.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
-Ranked 26th in the regular season at 2.41 per game, which is horrible for a Cup Champion. And the Kings won 3 Game 7's that year and had 5 overtime wins. One of the worst champions of All Time, a fluke run.

2.05 GA/G, good for the best in the league that year. Top 10 in wins and in points percentage. It's not like the only thing you can look at is goals scored per game. They had a +30 goal differential that year, but you ignored that, too.

And I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between winning three Games 7 and winning two Games 7 and one Game 6 like Pittsburgh did twice in their three Cup wins over the past decade, so your point there is pretty silly.

Quick is like basically every other goalie in the league, including the most elite. He's a good goalie who will benefit greatly from his team helping him out by limiting high percentage chances, cleaning up rebounds, clearing the front of the net, moving the puck out of their own zone effectively rather than being disrupted by a strong forecheck. I don't think he's necessarily elite, though he has had elite seasons. He's overrated by some because of the two Cup runs (if the Kings GDT last night is any indication, Kings fans aren't the ones overrating him), but he's still good.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Quick is a decent goaltender but has always been a bit inconsistent. He is more of a reflex goalie than a technical goalie.

How does that change anything that I said? He’s been one of the steadiest starters this year. He is coming off of his two worst starts of the season, and just got activated from IR and missed the all-star game due to a nagging injury. Being a “reflex goalie” has nothing to do with anything. If you stop the puck as much or more often than other goalies in the league it doesn’t matter how you do it.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Quick probably doesn’t give two sheets about whether you think he is a system goalie.

He is the biggest reason this team became what it did for a few years. He stabilized the goaltending. LA had years of craptastic goalies prior to JQ. One of those cup years he played with a bad back that needed surgery to repair. Probably from carrying the Kings.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Google "Reverse VH" then watch any hockey game.
too bad he doesn't seem to care to use the rvh any more cause he can't hold a post to save his life lately

hate how badly he overplays off-angle shots lately, the rvh is designed to plug everything on the post but he insists on losing his post to try and cut the angle

he's got something in his head and someone needs to figure it out what cause he's incapable of it

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Sutter's system is why Quick's SV% was deflated because he wasn't facing enough shots to inflate his SV%. SV% is HIGHLY affected by in game shot volumes, so when you play on strong defensive teams like he did, it has a negative impact on his overall SV%.

Reactions: KingTrouty

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see how having Carter, Kopitar, Gaborik, Mike Richards, Slava Voynov, Drew Doughty and Dustin Brown all in the primes as weak offensively.
Gaborik was NOT in his offensive prime in 2014. Not even close.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
That 2014 team would have smacked any of the three Penguins teams in the playoffs. LA and Chicago both had to go through each other to get to the top. It's not a coincidence that the only time the Pens can win is when neither Chicago or LA is there.

Our forecheck would wreck your paper-thin defense. The only reason why Pittsburgh lucked into the Cup last year was playing against a team with no 1C in the Final and a fluke playoff team in the Conference Final (and still almost got whacked).

And what kind of argument is that, using regular season goals over playoff goals, to justify playoff effectiveness? What a joke. 2014 Kings/Hawks series was the best playoff series possibly ever in the history of the NHL. Of course Pittsburgh's nowhere to be seen. Only when Philly, Boston, Chicago and LA are out of the way can Pittsburgh barely win a series in 2017.

LOL what a trash post, Penguinspeed's post was dumb too but yours takes the cake. Only reason Pittsburgh won because LA and Chi wasn't there? so maybe don't get knocked out in the 1st round next time? or make the playoffs last year? what an awful argument LOL. Maybe the Penguins finally have a competent coach so that's why they're doing good? Nope that can't be it...

and bringing up injuries for the other team as the reason penguins won? i can easily bring up the plethora of Injuries the pens had to deal with, but still came out on top. Don't be salty your team hasn't done much last few years while Penguins have finally found a solid coach and won back to back...

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I personally thought Rogue One was better than Force Awakens. Have not seen Last Jedi yet.

And Quick is an elite goalie.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
-Ranked 26th in the regular season at 2.41 per game, which is horrible for a Cup Champion. And the Kings won 3 Game 7's that year and had 5 overtime wins. One of the worst champions of All Time, a fluke run.

I think it was one of the greatest cup runs that i can remember. 3 game 7's. coming back from being down 3-1 or 3-0 multiple times, dont remember which one. Cant even imagine what it must have felt like for Kings fans going through 3 games 7's in a row.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I think it was one of the greatest cup runs that i can remember. 3 game 7's. coming back from being down 3-1 or 3-0 multiple times, dont remember which one. Cant even imagine what it must have felt like for Kings fans going through 3 games 7's in a row.
3-0 against San Jose. 3-2 against Anaheim. Blew a 3-1 lead to the Hawks. Up 3-0 against the Rangers. But the level of competition was one of the toughest runs ever. Any of the 3 teams they played in the first 3 rounds could've won the cup and all 3 were probably considered favorites to win the cup before the playoffs began.
Quick carrying the Kings in the 2012 playoffs is not how I remember it at all.
Is that sarcasm? 1.41 GAA and NHL record .946 save % during the 2012 run.

Reactions: KingTrouty

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
3-0 against San Jose. 3-2 against Anaheim. Blew a 3-1 lead to the Hawks. Up 3-0 against the Rangers. But the level of competition was one of the toughest runs ever. Any of the 3 teams they played in the first 3 rounds could've won the cup and all 3 were probably considered favorites to win the cup before the playoffs began.

Is that sarcasm? 1.41 GAA and NHL record .946 save % during the 2012 run.
No it's not. I remember it as one of the most dominant runs by a team I've ever seen.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
No it's not. I remember it as one of the most dominant runs by a team I've ever seen.
I wouldn't say he single handedly carried them but he was one of the major factors. Everything was clicking for them that year. Used the same 6 d-men every playoff game. I don't think any of the key guys missed a game. So I can see where you're coming from.

He did carry them during the 2012 playoffs and was probably the top reason why they made the playoffs but I know that wasn't what you were responding to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad