Jonathan Quick is still a system goalie

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don't see how having Carter, Kopitar, Gaborik, Mike Richards, Slava Voynov, Drew Doughty and Dustin Brown all in the primes as weak offensively.

I’m not sure that any of those forwards besides Kopitar were in their primes in 2014

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You do have to go all the way back to the 60's and 70's to find any goalies who have a higher SV% in their lower shot volume games than their higher shot volume games. I can tell you definitively that every goalie in the past 30 to 35 years has a higher SV% in their higher shot volume games. I think it may just be the evolution of how the game was played back in the 60's and 70's as to why you have to go so far back to find any goalie with a higher SV% in their lower shot volume games. There is more of a "get pucks on net" mentality in today's game than there maybe there was back 50 years ago.

Don't disagree with any of this. Quick is a fine goaltender.

Just think it's ridiculous to say you would take him over two easy Hall of Famers.

The thing about Lundqvist is he's had SC caliber teams in front of him before. 06, 07, 08, 13, 14, and 15 were all SC caliber Rangers teams imo. I'm not saying they were as good defensively as the Kings teams were, but those teams were all elite teams with the capability of winning the Cup.

Generous isn't even the word to describe this list.

The '13 team couldn't score worth a damn and the '15 team couldn't defend if you gave them guns. If the 2015 team somehow slithered past a vastly superior Tampa team, Chicago would have swallowed them whole.

It's ridiculous to include '06 and '07 and I think you're aware of what a reach that is. Those teams were just Jagr teabagging the league. They didn't have much else.

You could make the case for 2008, and yes, Lundqvist handed the second round series to the Pens, so that's on him. Still, I don't see a team with Mailk-Rozsival as their only good pair winning the Cup.

The only surefire Cup caliber team he's had is 2014 and they lost a closer series than history will demonstrate.

HFBoards has been saying "lol the Rangers should rebuild" since the lockout, but when it comes to Lundqvist, they're suddenly a super team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
-Ranked 26th in the regular season at 2.41 per game, which is horrible for a Cup Champion. And the Kings won 3 Game 7's that year and had 5 overtime wins. One of the worst champions of All Time, a fluke run.

What??? A fluke run? Lol.

What does the regular season have to do with anything? Do you even watch hockey?

Your post is so ironic, considering the biggest fluke run of the last decade is likely the Penguins' win last season.... They were outshot throughout the playoffs, and thoroughly outplayed a good portion of that time. Probably should have lost to both Washington AND Ottawa if not for their goalies standing on their heads. Lucked out in the finals facing a Predators' team that came limping into the finals.

No Johanssen, No Fiala, James Neal with a broken hand, Ryan Ellis playing on one leg, Craig Smith missing the first 4 games of the finals with a hamstring injury. Talk about a fluke cup run....

Give your head a shake.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017

What does the regular season have to do with anything? Do you even watch hockey?

Your post is so ironic, considering the biggest fluke run of the last decade is likely the Penguins' win last season.... They were outshot throughout the playoffs, and thoroughly outplayed a good portion of that time. Probably should have lost to both Washington AND Ottawa if not for their goalies standing on their heads. Lucked out in the finals facing a Predators' team that came limping into the finals.

No Johanssen, No Fiala, James Neal with a broken hand, Ryan Ellis playing on one leg, Craig Smith missing the first 4 games of the finals with a hamstring injury. Talk about a fluke cup run....

Give your head a shake.

-The Penguins won the Stanley Cup without Kris Letang playing a single game last year in the playoffs. Lets take Kane away from Chicago or Doughty away from LA and see if either wins a playoff series let alone wins a cup without one of their best players.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
First off, comparing Letang to either Kane OR Doughty is absolute clownshoes...

Second, Letang is always hurt. I'd actually wager that the Penguins' record with and without Letang is about the same...

Kane, Doughty, and Letang. One of these three is not like the other!

Reactions: KingTrouty

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
-The Penguins won the Stanley Cup without Kris Letang playing a single game last year in the playoffs. Lets take Kane away from Chicago or Doughty away from LA and see if either wins a playoff series let alone wins a cup without one of their best players.

Lets not kid ourselves here, Letang is good, but come on, you can't compare him to those two as to the importance of how they can control a game.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Lets not kid ourselves here, Letang is good, but come on, you can't compare him to those two as to the importance of how they can control a game.

-Why Cant I? Letang is a 6X All Star, a 3 time Stanley Cup Champion, He had season ending herniated disc in his neck that needed surgery and was out 6 months. He missed 2014 when he had a stroke from blood clot. And he's missed substantial time with 3 serious concussions. The fact he is even playing right now, or alive, speaks volumes.

-He's nowhere near the player he was back in 2016 right now, but he's way better now then he was at the start of the season when his neck surgery sidelined him. His injuries are as bad if not worse than Stamkos.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, that 2014 run was definitely one of the more mediocre cup winning goalie runs of the last couple decades, along with Niemi in 2010 and Fleury in 2009.

I will say that Quick in 2012 was definitely one of the hottest cup winning goalie runs in quite a while, outside of Tim Thomas the year before. I definitely think Quick used to be one of the most overrated goalies in the league (there seems to be a new guy that gets criminally overrated every year or two and Quick wasn't nearly the most criminally overrated of that bunch), but now he's becoming underrated because a lot of people crap on him.

I think he's definitely a top 10 goalie. He's pretty consistently in that upper .910's range for the most part.

I don't really believe in the idea of a system goalie, for the most part, but Brian Elliott has made a really good case for being one, as he looked like this world beater with Hitchcock, then he looks like crap before Hitchcock and after Hitchcock and anywhere he's played that wasn't St. Louis. There's actually a handful of Hitchcock goalies that had career and monster years on his teams, then wound wind up falling apart either after departing from him or even before that. Cechmanek, Esche, Turek, Mason.

But that’s for a different conversation.

Last edited:

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
-Why Cant I? Letang is a 6X All Star, a 3 time Stanley Cup Champion, He had season ending herniated disc in his neck that needed surgery and was out 6 months. He missed 2014 when he had a stroke from blood clot. And he's missed substantial time with 3 serious concussions. The fact he is even playing right now, or alive, speaks volumes.

-He's nowhere near the player he was back in 2016 right now, but he's way better now then he was at the start of the season when his neck surgery sidelined him. His injuries are as bad if not worse than Stamkos.
Kane and Doughty were arguably the most important/best players to their teams. It's more like taking away Crosby or Malkin.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Its still a defensive system. So I guess you are missing something. All you have to do is look at the numbers of the backup goalie. Pretty ridiculous numbers

So you think Darcy Kuemper, Martin Jones, Jonathan Bernier, and Ben Scrivens are all better goalies than Quick? They all had better numbers as Quick’s backup.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Pretty silly thread. Quick is past his prime and that contract is going to burn the Kings likely for the next half decade, but he was a fantastic goaltender and the last guy I wanted to face in the playoffs when he was at his peak

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
His athleticism is elite and he's proven you can win it all with him. That's what you look for as a cup contender.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
-Ranked 26th in the regular season at 2.41 per game, which is horrible for a Cup Champion. And the Kings won 3 Game 7's that year and had 5 overtime wins. One of the worst champions of All Time, a fluke run.

I'm a Ducks fan, and I'd rather be the "worst champion" than the best coulda been.....
As for Quick, he has stolen an awful lot of games I've seen. Was the best player for the Kings in a lot of games with us

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland

Actually, how the Kings won the Cup in 2014 makes them one of the best champions of all time. It's called strength of the opposition.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Give your head a shake.
Thanks for savin me some time!

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The amnesia is comical in this thread

Jonathan Quick has been called things like:

Acrobatic, Athletic, a Top 5 Goalie, A Vezina Candidate, But now...
He's just a system goalie.

Carolina has for the past few years had one of the lowest shots against in the league. How are their goalies doing?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Considering save pct. is a volume stat, that wouldn't matter much.

As for Quick being a "system goalie"...often times people confuse the notion that a goalie that plays behind a strong defensive system is automatically a system goalie. This is where proper talent evaluation comes into play and statistics fail. If you can't identify the talent that's driving a system (because everyone has a system...every team is coached to the nines at this point), you get suckered into threads like this...

Quick is talented independently of the structure he plays behind. He's a net-positive influence on the game. Some goalies dupe people - like Brian Elliott in St. Louis (all hail the save pct. king for all-time, or whatever).

The only time I disliked Quick's game (and like skaters, goalies go through times where they lose confidence and change their games and yada yada yada...that's a thread unto itself) is the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He was playing so erratically and just guessing on stuff...lunging outside of his posts and nothing...that series he was just sliding and shuffling around because he could, but not because he needed to...he has wonderful lateral ability, he has wonderful shuffle ability, but there's a time and a place for it...that's part of proper save selection. He looked like he was just out there just ******* around...he wasn't tracking pucks, he wasn't on his angles, it was the worst I had ever seen him...but that's not normal Quick, at all...but he's a legit talent and he would be good in virtually any remotely normal scenario...

argotsato

Jan 10, 2007
What happened all of a sudden? Jonathon Quick is now chopped liver? In order to truly appreciate Jonathon Quicks game you need to watch a bigger sample of games. Being the most athletic goalie in the league has its downfalls. As a Kings fan I wouldn't want to have any other goalie in the net for us. Not only is he a fun goalie to watch, but he is one of the most competitive goalies in the league. This guy does not quit. There are some games where his lateral movements/athletic style are all or nothing, and there is where he gets all the criticism. Fundamentally this goalie is top notch and is still a top 10 goalie. Homerism/bias aside, ask any Kings fan and there is no doubt in my mind they will want no other goalie in the net for them, especially come playoffs.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
How exactly is a goalie a system player? Is boucher his coach, with a trap defense?

Do you mean that the goalie is helped by the defense in front of him? Then yes, every goalie relies on the team in front of him...he is the last line of defense. Brodeur benefitted from those new Jersey teams, never heard anyone complain about him being a system player.

Wtf is this thread... I hate quick, he's easily my least favourite goalie (complains constantly), but let's be real.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
These threads always crack me up. Where you pick a common criticism of one of your team's players and try and make it stick somewhere else.

Sure, but how is this a criticism. The f*** is a system goalie.

"Now Quick, remember the system when we're up a goal.. don't leave the net. When we're down, remember to watch for the signal for the extra attacker. Oh.. and be as acrobatic as possible."

:laugh: seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad