Jonathan Marchessault vs Mitch Marner

Who do you take?

• Total voters

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How about using a sample size for Marner that is closer to Marchessualt these playoffs? Marner has 13 points in the 13 playoff games he's played. Marchessault has 21 in 20 in the only playoff games he's played as a top 6 forward with PP time.

If you wanna use 7 game sample sizes:
Marner: 9 points in 7 games these playoffs
Marchessault: 12 points in 7 games from April 30th to May 16th Jonathan Marchessault Stats and News

This is probably where you choose not to reply.
It wasn't my idea to use 7 game sample sizes. I'm the one who wants to use the entire body of work for both players.

Marner is a PPG player in his full body of work, Marchessault isn't. Funny how you earlier accuse me of cherry-picking when you're doing just that.

Are we supposed to excuse Marchessault for not being good enough to crack a top-6 and get PP time? You're playing some serious mental gymnastics to try and use this to excuse him :laugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nice straw man.
1. You're putting words into my mouth
2. Unless you hold a double standard you must bieleve that Matthews is a playoff choker. ( If you call Marner a playoff performer after an amazing 7 games then you must call Matthews a choker after his 7 invisible games)
3. Marners playoff performance was phenomenal it just wasn't as impressive as march's because his was longer.
4. You won't reply

Why are you twisting the narrative now?

Matthews had one great playoff showing and one bad showing. He's half and half right now. As I said earlier, I'm the one who wants to use the entire sample size to show Marner as the superior playoff performer. I'm not down with using these silly cherry-picked samples like others are.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
It wasn't my idea to use 7 game sample sizes. I'm the one who wants to use the entire body of work for both players.

Marner is a PPG player in his full body of work, Marchessault isn't. Funny how you earlier accuse me of cherry-picking when you're doing just that.

Are we supposed to excuse Marchessault for not being good enough to crack a top-6 and get PP time? You're playing some serious mental gymnastics to try and use this to excuse him :laugh:
Marchessualt has a fuller body of work against tougher competition. He played against LA, San Jose, Winnipeg and Washington's top shutdown players which are much better defensively than Boston's secondary guys.

If Marner played 7 minutes a game with no PP time he wouldn't put up many points. And he did pretty well offensively with the little ice time he was given. He put up 1.4 shots for in the 7 minutes he was given in each game in the 2016 playoffs. Now he's a much better ES player.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marchessualt has a fuller body of work against tougher competition. He played against LA, San Jose, Winnipeg and Washington's top shutdown players which are much better defensively than Boston's secondary guys.

If Marner played 7 minutes a game with no PP time he wouldn't put up many points. And he did pretty well offensively with the little ice time he was given. He put up 1.4 shots for in the 7 minutes he was given in each game in the 2016 playoffs. Now he's a much better ES player.
Umm didn't know Bergeron was a secondary guy, or that he was worse defensively than guys from LA, San Jose, Winnipeg and Washington.You could make a sound argument for Marchessault without coughing up pure lies.

Most people know Marner matched up head to head against the Bergeron line who is arguable as good defensively or better than each of the teams' best lines that you posted. If you don't know that then your credibility is immediately questionable.

Last edited:

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Umm didn't know Bergeron was a secondary guy, or that he was worse defensively than guys from LA, San Jose, Winnipeg and Washington.You could make a sound argument for Marchessault without coughing up pure lies.

Most people know Marner matched up head to head against the Bergeron line who is arguable as good defensively or better than each of the teams' best lines that you posted. If you don't know that then your credibility is immediately questionable.
I
I Didn't watch much the Leafs/Bruins series, I was basing that on what Leafs fans said after the playoffs about Matthews being up against the Bergeron line the most.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I
I Didn't watch much the Leafs/Bruins series, I was basing that on what Leafs fans said after the playoffs about Matthews being up against the Bergeron line the most.
Ok. That was incorrect though. The line matching was usually to get Marner's line out against the Bergeron line (whether that was centered by Kadri or Plekanec). Matthews did have some shifts against that line too, but Babcock mostly hard matched Marner's line with Bergeron's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad