Waived: Jonathan Ericsson waived

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Add Mcllrath And Hickets to that list.
Not a big Hicketts fan, but I'll take Mc.

The problem is that the team needs lefties, not more righties playing on the wrong side. Regardless, they've all cleared waivers multiple times, pretty sad when we're debating AHL level players.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Every young guy should learn to emulate the attitude and work ethic Ericsson has had this season and likely the last few. Here's a guy that's been absolutely **** on by his teams fan base for almost a decade. Something I'm sure he and his family are well aware of. Over the last calendar year, there's been multiple opportunities for him to say F it, tell the team he can't do it anymore, hang them up and collect the rest of his contract from LTIR. Instead, he's kept his head up and has tried to the best of his ability to stay on and contribute to the team however he can. I mean the dude apparently woke up super early and COMMUTED from Detroit to GR for games and practices when he got sent down so he could get in as much time as possible with his family and still try to get back to the NHL team. When he was sent down, there apparently wasn't even a plan for if/when he would get called back up. If he really wanted to, he could've mailed it in down in GR to stay there so he could collect the rest of his contract free of Escrow and put a extra few hundred thousand dollars in his bank account. But instead he played well and found his way back to the NHL, where a couple of accidental sticks to the face added even more to his rough year and yet he's still trying to stick around.

What an interesting JFE rehabilitation essay.

Ericsson signed a deal. Can't blame him for taking the foolish money Holland offered.
But in the salary cap world, you absolutely can judge him against it.
And he's been a failure by that metric.

All this stuff about mentorship?
No thanks.
I think they'd learn more from McIlrath - a former well-thougt-of prospect stuck in the minors - a guy who values every second he plays in the NHL

Ericsson? Guy has made $4M+ a year to play like garbage for 3-4 years now. Just took his regular shift and sucked and sucked and sucked with very little consequence.

I'll play JFE if there's no one else. If Cholo continues to suck and Hicketts is overmatched.
But don't ask me to get all misty-eyed and defensive about him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
To be crystal clear, I never said he was "owed" anything. The Wings don't "owe" him a thing. The way I look at it is that the downside to playing him one more time as a Wing is insignificant as the worst that can happen is that he plays bad and lets in a bad goal or two or three etc. and maybe we loose (oh no!). The upside is that we show a vet respect, and that sits well with the players. These things may not matter on a message board, but in real life they do.

The only real respect is to play the players who earn it.
Everything else is BS.

If JFE is better than Hicketts? Who cares. Play him.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Not a big Hicketts fan, but I'll take Mc.

The problem is that the team needs lefties, not more righties playing on the wrong side. Regardless, they've all cleared waivers multiple times, pretty sad when we're debating AHL level players.

I don’t like hickets much. But he’s better than Daley.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The only real respect is to play the players who earn it.
Everything else is BS.

If JFE is better than Hicketts? Who cares. Play him.

Come one man, I'm talking one game that literally means nothing. Relax.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Well yeah, worst team in the league and possibly the worst in the salary cap era.

I guess it all depends if we can get 49 points and beat the 16/17 Avs. Crazy that they got to 95 points the following year. That's parity for you.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I guess it all depends if we can get 49 points and beat the 16/17 Avs. Crazy that they got to 95 points the following year. That's parity for you.
I was trying to figure out how that team sucked so bad.... then I realized Pickard started 50 games for them. To their credit, Pickard's GAA was under 3.00, if he started 50 games for the current WIngs, there's no way he'd be under 4. (He's at 5.46 in the 3 games that he played.)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No worries, I was talking about playing E in the last home game of the year.

Yeah.
I don't really like Ericsson. Part of me feels he was pigeonholed into a role that didn't fit his personality. And that he was always supposed to be two-way D, not a stay-at-home, PK guy. Then he got old and injured and was a no-way guy.
I don't hate him either though.
I agree. If he's healthy, let him play in that final home game.
Along with Jimmy,

Reactions: kliq

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah.
I don't really like Ericsson. Part of me feels he was pigeonholed into a role that didn't fit his personality. And that he was always supposed to be two-way D, not a stay-at-home, PK guy. Then he got old and injured and was a no-way guy.
I don't hate him either though.
I agree. If he's healthy, let him play in that final home game.
Along with Jimmy,
They are career Red Wings players, and they both have fans. Seems like the right thing to do. Other than that game though, I don't really care to see either again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad