Waived: Jonathan Ericsson waived

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It's gonna be crowded in Grand Rapids, Seider is gonna need a 9 game callup :naughty:

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets claimed this time around. Veteran presence for a playoff team. Depth, mentorship etc

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If he makes it through waivers, hope he gets a call up later in the year for a send off game.

I would assume that if he does indeed get sent down, he'll be back up before the trade deadline and would finish the year on the NHL roster. Especially after they trade Daley and/or Green. Having a perpetually banged up Ericsson on the roster after one or both of those guys are gone would help the Wings get a look at a whole bunch of different dmen from GR using emergency recall rather than burning their 4 regular call ups.

I'm guessing this move was done to give Yzerman some roster flexibility from now until the deadline considering Peter Chiarelli on bath salts probably wouldn't claim a broken dman that can't stay on regular on the worst team in the league and would add around $1.5M to a teams cap right now. It also gives them someone they can send down to GR if they need to recall a forward in a pinch since Fabbri is out but not on IR (yet?), Helm's banged up and a couple of guys are playing their first games back while their on a road trip, and obviously they probably don't want to send Lindstrom down just yet. He can also go down in a pinch if the Wings end up getting an extra roster player or two in a trade or trades done while they still have at least a game left before the deadline.

Otherwise, from the Griffins perspective it doesn't make much sense. They're already rotating guys that meet the veteran max, which saw McIlrath sit as a healthy scratch in their last game.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I dont think he gets claimed. If he had a contract that carried a cap-hit near 1mil, then sure. However with the TDL approaching, I don't foresee any contenders wanting to eat up that much cap on a 7th D-man that could barely crack Detroit's top 6.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If he clears waivers, it would actually be easier to trade him to a playoff team looking for depth. He could be kept in the AHL and only be called upon as an emergency call up. The new team would not need to worry about waivers.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If he clears waivers, it would actually be easier to trade him to a playoff team looking for depth. He could be kept in the AHL and only be called upon as an emergency call up. The new team would not need to worry about waivers.

Agreed, plus then Detroit could retain cap if needed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I dont think he gets claimed. If he had a contract that carried a cap-hit near 1mil, then sure. However with the TDL approaching, I don't foresee any contenders wanting to eat up that much cap on a 7th D-man that could barely crack Detroit's top 6.

St. Louis has 7.5 million in cap space through LTIR (Tarasenko) who will be out the whole regular season. They could fit in both Ericsson and Athanasiou -level of caphits, if they want.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
St. Louis has 7.5 million in cap space through LTIR (Tarasenko) who will be out the whole regular season. They could fit in both Ericsson and Athanasiou -level of caphits, if they want.

PLAYER NEWS

VLADIMIR TARASENKORW, ST LOUIS BLUES

Vladimir Tarasenko was a surprise participant in Thursday's morning skate, but coach Craig Berube didn't have an update for the forward's return.

It was originally believed that Tarasenko could be back by the final week of the regular season. He is still recovering from shoulder surgery. "We’ll see how it goes for regular practice," Berube said. "If he can come out and do a lot of the flow stuff, that would be great. The team stuff and things like that that we do in practice, he probably is not going to be able to do. But he can come on for the first part of it. He should. We’ll see how it goes."
SOURCE: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Feb 7, 2020, 11:40 AM ET

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As a Blues GM, I would schedule him out and use the LTIR loophople like Chicago did with Kane at 2015.

They did not have any cap space for deadline acquisitions, but through Kane LTIR (and return straight to the playoffs) they got Vermette and Timonen and won another Cup.

That kind of extra space is a REAL difference maker in nowadays parity, because there's no cap at the playoffs.

Now, Bouwmeester on LTIR, could change some plans. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->