Waived: Jonathan Ericsson waived

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
As a Blues GM, I would schedule him out and use the LTIR loophople like Chicago did with Kane at 2015.

They did not have any cap space for deadline acquisitions, but through Kane LTIR (and return straight to the playoffs) they got Vermette and Timonen and won another Cup.

That kind of extra space is a REAL difference maker in nowadays parity, because there's no cap at the playoffs.

Now, Bouwmeester on LTIR, could change some plans. We'll see.

Probably not a bad idea. In regards to E, I just dont think E would be at the top of their list on February 12th. I feel like E is the type of player that a team would grab when options A, B. C etc. are off the table. I think someone will take him, but on TDL day.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If teams are interested in Ericsson, they probably won't jump the gun and claim him on waivers. They probably wait for him to clear and then try to work a trade like the Wings did when they got Biega. Send the Wings some ECHL/AHL bubble contract like David Pope and then wait to recall Ericsson until they need him, or until right before the deadline. Although there would probably also be conditional late pick involved to get the Wings to retain some of his salary.

I would think if the Blues wanted a Dman from the Wings to help shore up the loss of Bouwmeester, they'd make a trade for a retained Daley or Biega before thinking about claiming Ericsson on waivers.

I just don't see Ericsson having any value to other teams unless the Wings are being real generous by retaining the full 50% as well as taking back some salary or doing some other kind of favor for the other team. If playoff teams are looking for a #6/7 guy before the deadline, there's lots of rentals available that are healthier, have cap hits 50-75% lower and in most cases are younger than Ericsson.

I would bet the most likely scenario is Ericsson finishing the season as a warm body on the Wings D and then retiring and taking a front office job in the offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMenace and kliq

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Why won't the Wings just buy him out? 2 months are left, just write a check and pay him off and let him go home.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Why won't the Wings just buy him out? 2 months are left, just write a check and pay him off and let him go home.

Did you think they waived him because they were trying to get rid of him?

The Wings can't exactly do what you're proposing unless Ericsson mutually agrees to it.

By all accounts, it sounds like Ericsson wants to be a good pro and finish out his contract as a member of the organization that's been very good to him for almost 18 years.

Once Green and Daley are likely gone in a couple weeks, Ericsson will be the lone old guy and mentor for the young D that are likely to go up and down from GR for the rest of the year.

With DeKeyser probably done for the year and Green and Daley gone, they'll need a warm body or two on D since they can't just call up a bunch of D from GR all at once. Albeit expensively and not exactly effectively, Ericsson fills one of those spots.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

The Wings can't exactly do what you're proposing unless Ericsson mutually agrees to it.

By all accounts, it sounds like Ericsson wants to be a good pro and finish out his contract as a member of the organization that's been very good to him for almost 18 years.

Once Green and Daley are likely gone in a couple weeks, Ericsson will be the lone old guy and mentor for the young D that are likely to go up and down from GR for the rest of the year.

With DeKeyser probably done for the year and Green and Daley gone, they'll need a warm body or two on D since they can't just call up a bunch of D from GR all at once. Albeit expensively and not exactly effectively, Ericsson fills one of those spots.

the sad part is I’d rather have Ericsson on this team than Daley

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Buyout periods are possible only at summer.

Mutual terminations can happen during a season.

These vets maybe don't have on-ice value, but it's always important if they deliver their knowledge to our next wave kids. If Ericsson goes to Griffins, he can mentor a guy like Seider on daily basis, what is it be big net-front defenceman in NHL. etc.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Buyout periods are possible only at summer.

Mutual terminations can happen during a season.

These vets maybe don't have on-ice value, but it's always important if they deliver their knowledge to our next wave kids. If Ericsson goes to Griffins, he can mentor a guy like Seider on daily basis, what is it be big net-front defenceman in NHL. etc.

That's what I meant in regards to buyouts.

Realistically, the Red Wings could approach Ericsson and say "Look, we really don't have a place for you on the NHL or AHL roster, so if you'd like, you can go home and just collect the rest of the $1.4XXM left on your deal (and as a bonus, free of Escrow)". But if Ericsson doesn't want to do that, they'd have to let him report to the Griffins and probably get into their vet rotation. If they tried to block him from going, the NHLPA would probably involved like they did when the Rangers buried Gomez and told him to stay home in order to preserve him for a compliance buyout.

As far as the mutual part, I was referring to a situation like Backes is currently in where he cleared waivers and got demoted, but he and the Bruins mutually decided it was best if he didn't report to the PBruins.

IIRC, it was also the same thing with Quincey in Minnesota where they waived and demoted him after he refused to play his off side like they thought he would when he signed, so they said he can either report to Iowa or go home and still get paid, so he chose to go home.

IMO, Ericsson will have more value to the team if he's on the NHL roster after the deadline (assuming Daley and/or Green are traded). If they get down to 6 D on the roster, given that he has recurring hip/knee/back/face/concussion/etc. issues, Ericsson is probably going to get banged up again at some point, or they can give him a night off here and there and tell the league he's questionable. Both situations would allow the team to recall D from GR under emergency without burning one of their regular call ups, which would allow them to get a look at multiple guys.

From a mentor stand point, whether in Detroit or GR, Ericsson should be around as many young guys as possible and deserves some kind of coaching/development/counseling role after he decides to retire. Every young guy should learn to emulate the attitude and work ethic Ericsson has had this season and likely the last few. Here's a guy that's been absolutely shit on by his teams fan base for almost a decade. Something I'm sure he and his family are well aware of. Over the last calendar year, there's been multiple opportunities for him to say F it, tell the team he can't do it anymore, hang them up and collect the rest of his contract from LTIR. Instead, he's kept his head up and has tried to the best of his ability to stay on and contribute to the team however he can. I mean the dude apparently woke up super early and COMMUTED from Detroit to GR for games and practices when he got sent down so he could get in as much time as possible with his family and still try to get back to the NHL team. When he was sent down, there apparently wasn't even a plan for if/when he would get called back up. If he really wanted to, he could've mailed it in down in GR to stay there so he could collect the rest of his contract free of Escrow and put a extra few hundred thousand dollars in his bank account. But instead he played well and found his way back to the NHL, where a couple of accidental sticks to the face added even more to his rough year and yet he's still trying to stick around.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Just let E sit in the press box, and allow him to play the final home game of the season.

Attempting to cut him with a couple months left in his career when there is zero benefit to the team will just piss other players off which come back to haunt us later.

If this were a situation where we were a playoff team and he was blocking someone, I would get it. Who sits in the press box for a last place team during March and April means absolutely nothing.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Just let E sit in the press box, and allow him to play the final home game of the season.

Attempting to cut him with a couple months left in his career when there is zero benefit to the team will just piss other players off which come back to haunt us later.

If this were a situation where we were a playoff team and he was blocking someone, I would get it. Who sits in the press box for a last place team during March and April means absolutely nothing.

I'm tired of this, it's not a Ford plant, or a county crew, this is professional hockey. This happens everywhere else all the time, he's not a special case. There are kids who can play better than him, He's not got a spot on the team currently, going down for a little till Daley/Green are moved is a decent move still by the organization. It's not classless by the Wings, and Ericsson frankly is handling it well. If he wanted bought out I'm sure that could of already happened. He's still got value going down and being a veteran in the AHL for our younger defenders with potential.

People are not, not going to sign here or be upset because... Oh the Red Wings treated Ericsson bad... Give me a break! The guy's been over paid for awhile and the organization played out the contract.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would tend to agree I think the situation is being overthought because there is little else to talk about this season and getting rid of these contracts is something we finally get to start seeing. I think anyone coaches, owners, players can see Erickson was an overpaid negative asset and that the wings honored his contract. I don't see any fallout from a new GM trying to clear out the old GM's mistakes. It also dispels the country club tie goes to the veteran culture we have wanted to see the organization move on from. Erickson is a likable player but the fact still remains his contract and his play didn't help the organization for half his career.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm tired of this, it's not a Ford plant, or a county crew, this is professional hockey. This happens everywhere else all the time, he's not a special case. There are kids who can play better than him, He's not got a spot on the team currently, going down for a little till Daley/Green are moved is a decent move still by the organization. It's not classless by the Wings, and Ericsson frankly is handling it well. If he wanted bought out I'm sure that could of already happened. He's still got value going down and being a veteran in the AHL for our younger defenders with potential.

People are not, not going to sign here or be upset because... Oh the Red Wings treated Ericsson bad... Give me a break! The guy's been over paid for awhile and the organization played out the contract.

Are you under the impression that I am against sending him down to the AHL? Your post implies that I am. I am against trying to force him completely out of the organization right now. Send him to the AHL, then bring him up with one game left and give him a send off, I'm fine with that as well as even E himself seems fine with that.

Its funny, when something is perceived as an issue, people have a tendency to go to the other extreme. People perceived the Illitch family as being too loyal to its players, so now you have "loyalty" being talked about in a negative context and fans almost wanting players to be treated poorly. There is no ramification in keeping E in the press box, or allowing him to play in the AHL while bringing him back up later for a sendoff game. Anyone against giving him a sendoff game is just bitter over his contract and they are taking it out on the wrong person (for the record, I don't necessarily mean you).

Reactions: Snuggs

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I have a different opinion of Ericsson than most. This is a guy that was drafted in the 7th round and was a very good third pair d man for most of his career. He had some nice seasons on the second pair and when forced to, filled on on the first pair.

sure he had some bad seasons when playing up the lineup, but for his draft spot performed very well the majority of his career.

this has no bearing on what should happen to him today, but there is a lot of trash talk going on that I don’t think he deserves. He was a very good player when not being forced into rolls above his head by mismanagement.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I have a different opinion of Ericsson than most. This is a guy that was drafted in the 7th round and was a very good third pair d man for most of his career. He had some nice seasons on the second pair and when forced to, filled on on the first pair.

sure he had some bad seasons when playing up the lineup, but for his draft spot performed very well the majority of his career.

this has no bearing on what should happen to him today, but there is a lot of trash talk going on that I don’t think he deserves. He was a very good player when not being forced into rolls above his head by mismanagement.

No, he was a good player about five years ago. He's REALLY bad now. Draft spot is literally just a footnote for a guy though. I don't care that we got him for a late draft pick. It doesn't make Lidstrom's success or Fedorov's success any better because they were taken in 2nd and 3rd. Ericsson in the mid 2010s was a fine player. Ericsson now is finished as a player. I can talk crap about his play now and still realize he was decent for a while. You don't get bonus points for taking a guy later. It just means that Ericsson was a good pick compared to where he was taken. An asset that you got more from than you paid for does not mean good asset indefinitely.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Do it as a business transaction, and you're right. Cut him/buy him out in a way that precludes him getting another offer or put a roadblock towards him going to another team? Hell yes it will. So you're both right and wrong. If it's just "younger guys supplanted your role, so you can either ride out contract or we will buy you out so you can persue a contract with another team... no harm no foul. But there would certainly be a way that you could poison the waters if you were so inclined.

Reactions: Snuggs

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
No, he was a good player about five years ago. He's REALLY bad now. Draft spot is literally just a footnote for a guy though. I don't care that we got him for a late draft pick. It doesn't make Lidstrom's success or Fedorov's success any better because they were taken in 2nd and 3rd. Ericsson in the mid 2010s was a fine player. Ericsson now is finished as a player. I can talk crap about his play now and still realize he was decent for a while. You don't get bonus points for taking a guy later. It just means that Ericsson was a good pick compared to where he was taken. An asset that you got more from than you paid for does not mean good asset indefinitely.
Yeah, I said it has no impact now. But people are talking like he was always trash. And his draft spot does matter. He performed better than a lot of first round picks. No it doesn’t matter that he out performed his draft spot in contract negotiations. No it doesn’t matter in lineup and roster management. But yes it does matter when reflecting on his career and shitting on it. He was fantastic for his draft spot. He would have been good if he were picked in the first round. It’s an aspect of evaluation when reflecting on if he was trash or not. Which it seems this thread has become.

I said has prime play should have no bearing on what happens to him today. I only brought it up because this has become a shit on Ericsson thread when the only person that should be shit on is people that offered him an overpayment And too much term. and forced him into roles that made him look bad.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
When you sign a contract you also ink that to part of your legacy and if you don't play well enough to earn it and become a cap space liability then that also becomes part of your legacy. As likable as he is and as great as his draft pick slot story is he didn't rise up to his contract for long part of his career. That is what I will always remember about Ericsson. Just like the first thing that comes to mind about Cleary is the collective sighs from the fan base every time he signed a new 1 year deal.

I don't really care how he ends up off the team honestly. If they decide to do some favors for a long time player that would be nice, it won't cost us anything and would be classy. The important part is we are finally moving on from another holland negative value contract.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I still don't believe there was any real intent to actually send him to GR this time. It so far seems to be more in the vein of the regular Aaron Downey/David Booth type waivings where they clear a guy they know won't get claimed that can go down in a pinch if they need to recall a guy for a game or two or give them some flexibility if they add another player to the roster through trade or waivers before the deadline.

At this point, if he gets assigned to GR, it's likely a short term "on paper" thing like when he went down for a day back in November. Having him actually report to GR makes little sense unless one of Lashoff or McIlrath get hurt or called up. And even then, they'd still need to scratch at least one healthy vet every game.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The Red Wings have paid Jonathan Ericsson nearly $37 million according to cap friendly. They've treated him very well. I have no problem with letting him play another game in Detroit before he retires but to say he is owed that is a big stretch. For the record I've been an Ericsson fan but also realize he probably should have called it quits a couple seasons back. When you hang on for dear life you put yourself in a position where you do not get to retire on your terms. That's professional sports.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The Red Wings have paid Jonathan Ericsson nearly $37 million according to cap friendly. They've treated him very well. I have no problem with letting him play another game in Detroit before he retires but to say he is owed that is a big stretch. For the record I've been an Ericsson fan but also realize he probably should have called it quits a couple seasons back. When you hang on for dear life you put yourself in a position where you do not get to retire on your terms. That's professional sports.

To be crystal clear, I never said he was "owed" anything. The Wings don't "owe" him a thing. The way I look at it is that the downside to playing him one more time as a Wing is insignificant as the worst that can happen is that he plays bad and lets in a bad goal or two or three etc. and maybe we loose (oh no!). The upside is that we show a vet respect, and that sits well with the players. These things may not matter on a message board, but in real life they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad